Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Turrican 2

Posted by Baboon 
Wii Turrican 2
February 04, 2011 08:04PM
Wii Turrican II: The Final Fight

I've (again) used DOSBox-Wii and configured and compiled it to work and autoboot the classic Amiga/PC game 'Turrican II: The Final Fight'.

Turrican II: The Final Fight is a platformer/shooter as typically seen on consoles, but originally designed for home computers from the ground up. This version is the original PC game running via DOSBox-wii (1.5) which simply autoboots into the game and has the controls mapped and binded so that you no longer need to use a usb keyboard.

To run simply extract and place the Turrican 2 folder into the apps folder on the wii and then load as normal via the homebrew channel.

Controls:
Return (to start game): +
Movements: D-pad
Fire Button: 1
Jump: 2 or up on the d-pad
Laser Barriers: A or B
Whirling Gyroscope: Down on d-pad + A or B
Special Attack: 1 + A or B
Quit: -

Credits:
Coding (DOSBox Wii): Thanks to Dborth and Carl Kenner for porting DOSBox for the Wii.
Wii contribution (the easy bit): Baboon for editing the mapper to get the joystick working on the Wiimote, creating the HBC icon and for making the game work (which was a bugger!) and autoboot on the Wii via the config file etc.

Turrican II original credits:
Factor 5

Turrican II: The Final Fight is officially free Abandonware so there should be no problem sharing it.

Download:
[Uh, no - SifJar]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2011 11:05PM by SifJar.
Re: Wii Turrican 2
February 08, 2011 08:18PM
Baboon
Turrican II: The Final Fight is officially free Abandonware so there should be no problem sharing it.
Abandonware is not strictly legal. It's a "made up" idea that you can download stuff that the owner no longer cares about. Some games have been titled abandonware only to be released as payed download later.

[en.wikipedia.org]

In most cases, software classed as abandonware is not in the public domain, as it has never had its original copyright revoked and some company or individual still owns exclusive rights. Therefore, downloading such software is usually considered copyright infringement, though in practice copyright holders rarely enforce their abandonware copyrights.
February 10, 2011 11:15AM
Great Work!

Is it possible to enable the Cheat from the PC without a USB-Keyboard?
February 10, 2011 04:03PM
Daid
Baboon
Abandonware is not strictly legal. It's a "made up" idea that you can download stuff that the owner no longer cares about. Some games have been titled abandonware only to be released as payed download later.

[en.wikipedia.org]

In most cases, software classed as abandonware is not in the public domain, as it has never had its original copyright revoked and some company or individual still owns exclusive rights. Therefore, downloading such software is usually considered copyright infringement, though in practice copyright holders rarely enforce their abandonware copyrights.

Well this 20year old game is freely available on many dos sites as its no longer being sold or supported by the copyright holders...so I presumed there's no problem freely distributing it seeing as no laws are being broken?

I really can't see the pc version of the game coming to retail any time soon though seeing as Factor-5 closed down a few years ago? BUT in the unlikey event that this old PC game does somehow magically get re-released as a paid download in the future then I'll of course take the links down.

TurricanX
Great Work!

Is it possible to enable the Cheat from the PC without a USB-Keyboard?

Thanks. :-)

Well the original dos cheat should work (although I've not tried it) so Press A or B (or press home and then space on the virtual keyboard) on the title screen to enter the music menu, then type MEPHISTOPHELES (by pressing home and then typing it out wiith the virtual keyboard) and If you have done this correctly you'll hear a particular sound. After that, press - twice and start the game. Your life counter should now always display a 3.
February 10, 2011 04:57PM
Thank You! I hope for more releases (Superfrog, Alien Breed, Chaos Engine, Speedball 2) :D
February 10, 2011 06:03PM
The fact that it's not being sold anywhere doesn't give you the right to distribute it freely. Unless the owner has given explicit permission you are violating copyright laws.
February 10, 2011 11:06PM
No posting copyrighted content, regardless if it is "abandonware" or not.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.