Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

VBA-GX Black Error screen

Posted by super3dcow 
May 04, 2011 07:31PM
For some reason today when trying to use the VBA emulator, after sitting at the main game screen for about a minute, it suddenly goes black saying, Exception (DSI) Occurred. And then tons of lines of code, with Stack Dump and Code Dump mixed in. I have to manually power off the Wii to stop it. It happens shortly after starting a game too. I tried updating to the newest version, (went from 2.2.1 to 2.2.4) but it's still happening.

Anyone know why it's suddenly freezing like this?
Re: VBA-GX Black Error screen
May 07, 2011 02:12AM
I have the same problem and would appreciate some feedback as well, only this happens to me on wii64 and snes 9xgx as well. The emulator and rom only work maybe a third of the time, no matter what game...
May 07, 2011 05:26AM
Yeah, I have been getting this too since the updated from 2.2.2 to 2.2.4, I'm getting a lot of Stack Dumps both in game, and in the emulator menu, specifically the ROM list. My specs are as follows:

Wii System Ver 4.3U
HB Channel 1.0.8
IOS58 v24.32

VBA-GX 2.2.4
2,897 ROMs: GBA, GBC, and classic GB

SDHC Card 16GB Class 6
Wavebirds plugged into all my GC controller slots
Rumble turned off in VBA-GX app preferences/options

I had tried to upgrade previously to 2.2.3, but started having these crashes and reverted to 2.2.2, but after some recent issues with 2.2.2, I decided to upgrade again and now my stability seems to have gone out the window.

I have deleted both the app and the channel via the HBC, and reinstalled the app via HBB and I am still having issues. I may try and do another uninstall and reinstall 2.2.2.

BTW, I would recommend you rename the thread subject to read:
VBA-GX Stack Dump screen
-- instead of --
in order to more accurately describe the error you are having. Also, you should post your specs here, as I have above, to assist with debugging the issue.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2011 05:30AM by DonsSword.
May 07, 2011 06:42PM
If you're all using a SDHC then there is your problem. Use a regular SD card formatted in FAT32 and it shouldn't happen again. If it does try a USB memory stick formatted in FAT32. Also if it crashes hit the reset button instead; it will take you back to HBC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2011 06:44PM by technoman.
May 07, 2011 09:38PM
Well im using a 4gb corsair usb stick and it was formatted using FAT32.
VBA is 2.2.4 as well tho i may try using 2.2.2 and see if that will help
Homebrew 1.0.8 and idk my IOS...

I just tried playing and i get this screen virtually every time, out of 10+ tries i couldnt get any game to work on visual boy, some will load but shortly after the first game screen it comes up...
May 08, 2011 06:45AM
technoman is talking nonsense. Probably your problem is that you Wii doesn't have network access, which will cause a crash if the meta.xml for an app contains the no_ios_reload line - this is a known HBC bug.
May 11, 2011 06:28PM
Yeah that was it, after deleting that line ive ever gotten that error again. Thank you, its nice to get simple straightforward answers at least sometimes haha.
May 26, 2011 10:22PM
I was also having the same problem, not only on VBA GX, but on FCE Ultra GX and Snes9x GX as well. There were a few things I had done since last using the emulators that I thought was the problem. First was adding WiiMC to my system, which I knew wasn't a problem. Then I re-installed HBC to use IOS58 which I already had on my system, but after my last Wii update my HBC was using IOS61 so I re-installed HBC so it would use IOS58. Then I deleted everything in my apps folder and downloaded fresh versions. I thought I made a mistake when those emulators were crashing, so I removed all homebrew content and started over thinking that would help, wrong. Even with a fresh HBC installed and all fresh homebrew apps, those emulators still had the same problem. Then I came here to the forums and saw this topic. After reading it I connected my Wii to the internet, and suddenly no more problem. I went through a lot of crap when it was such a simple problem. Oh well, it all seems to run a little faster now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login