Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Giantpune's Wii NAND Tools (from wiiqt)

Posted by bg4545 
Giantpune's Wii NAND Tools (from wiiqt)
May 10, 2011 10:04AM
Giantpune has recently made some very useful tools that allow you to do many things with a BootMii NAND dump. Check out the wiiqt project page here. I have compiled the latest versions of the four of giantpune's NAND tools for use on Windows. In order to use any of these 4 tools, you will need a set of DLL files (place them in the same folder as the exe).
Get the DLL files here.

The first tool is "nandBinCheck" which is used to display information about a nand.bin for the Wii. "nandBinCheck" is a Command Line Interface (CLI) program, so there's no fancy GUI. It is able to display information about boot1 & 2, NAND filesystem, permissions, ecc, hmac, SFFS, detect causes of many different types of bricks (opera, 003, unbootable IOS). With this program, you are almost guaranteed that a nand.bin is safe to install on a Wii.
[[url=http://wiisixtyfour.webs.com/images/nandBinCheck.png]nandBinCheck screenshot[/url]]
Get nandBinCheck here.

The next tool is called "ohneschwanzenegger". It is a program for creating, formatting, & writing to a nand.bin. It allows you to create a nand.bin on your PC that you can then install with BootMii or a flash programmer. It accepts WADs or can download titles and full updates from NUS. It is still recommended that you check the contents of a nand.bin before installing it to a Wii.
[[url=http://wiisixtyfour.webs.com/images/Ohneschwanzenegger.png]Ohneschwanzenegger screenshot[/url]]
Get ohneschwanzenegger here.

The third tool is "nandExtract" which can extract some or all files from a nand.bin, as well as examine its contents. You can see all the blocks of the NAND dump as well as info about the boot sector and such.
[[url=http://wiisixtyfour.webs.com/images/nandExtract.png]nandExtract screenshot[/url]]
Get nandExtract here.

The final tool is "punetwiin". It's basically like betwiin which converts a NAND.bin to use on a different Wii. It works slightly different though; It takes a full nand.bin for both done files. It pulls the files and filesystem from the first NAND, and it pulls boot1 and boot2, the keys and the bad block map from the second NAND. When its done, you will have the contents from the filesystem in the first NAND mixed with everything else from the second NAND. The full process should take about 2 minutes. Bad blocks are taken into account, so it should be safer that Betwiin. Anybody using punetwiin is encouraged to verify the content of the output file before installing it.
[[url=http://wiisixtyfour.webs.com/images/punetwiin.png]punetwiin screenshot[/url]]
Get punetwiin here.

Of course all credit for these apps goes to giantpune all I did was compile them for Windows.

EDIT: Updated to r88 (same links)
EDIT2: Updated to r93
EDIT3: Updated as of r106 (Includes svn rev per app)

EDIT4: For Mac OS X versions of these apps, see here.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 05:46AM by bg4545.
Re: Giantpune's Wii NAND Tools (from wiiqt)
May 10, 2011 10:18AM
From your ohneschwanzenegger description:

It accepts WADs
I don't think we allow that tool here...
May 10, 2011 10:46AM
Daid
From your ohneschwanzenegger description:

It accepts WADs
I don't think we allow that tool here...
Hmm I didn't really think of it that way... If any of the higher-ups think it should be removed I can remove it, but otherwise I don't see a problem. It's a useful tool, especially for people who have certain bricks. You have the option of downloading the files from NUS.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, I'm fairly certain it only works with signed WADs (like System Menus, IOSes, etc.), not custom channels or other fake-signed stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2011 11:02AM by bg4545.
May 10, 2011 06:57PM
I'm pretty sure its for System WADs e.g. System Menu and IOS. I think its OK. Thanks for posting this stuff bg4545, means I have a legitimate place to link people to who need this sort of thing ;)
May 12, 2011 02:22AM
about the wad stuff, ohneswanzenegger will try to install any wad you give it. it doesnt check any signatures or anything. so, in theory it can definitely be used for piracy. but that is not its purpose. i think it would be rather closed-minded to discount a tool like this because one of its features can be abused for piracy.

HBC can be used to start wad installers and warez loaders, but that doesnt mean that HBC was designed for this purpose, and it doesnt mean that it is a good idea to throw away HBC.

And quite honestly, anybody using this as a method to play free games is stupid. who in their right mind would flash the entire nand in order to play some crappy wiiware game?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2011 02:26AM by giantpune.
May 12, 2011 03:34AM
giantpune
about the wad stuff, ohneswanzenegger will try to install any wad you give it. it doesnt check any signatures or anything. so, in theory it can definitely be used for piracy. but that is not its purpose. i think it would be rather closed-minded to discount a tool like this because one of its features can be abused for piracy.

HBC can be used to start wad installers and warez loaders, but that doesnt mean that HBC was designed for this purpose, and it doesnt mean that it is a good idea to throw away HBC.

And quite honestly, anybody using this as a method to play free games is stupid. who in their right mind would flash the entire nand in order to play some crappy wiiware game?
My thoughts exactly. But I tried installing a custom WAD with it and it never showed up, whereas an IOS WAD did...
June 22, 2011 12:42PM
it is works with korean wii updated to 4.2u
August 04, 2011 02:52PM
Perhaps this is a noob question but I have to do it anyway, when you say:

It is able to display information about boot1 & 2, NAND filesystem, permissions, ecc, hmac, SFFS, detect causes of many different types of bricks (opera, 003, unbootable IOS). With this program, you are almost guaranteed that a nand.bin is safe to install on a Wii.

How can I tell whether it's safe or not to install a nand on a Wii?

I mean, I did run the application and it did tell a lot of stuff about the Nand file, and most of it I don't really know what it means.
I'm pretty sure it's not "safe" (legally speaking) for the author to state a line like: "this Nand file is safe to use" or something like that at the end of the whole test, but a heads up on how to decode the results of the process would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Cheers
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login