Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

can i run Wii64 on a DVD-R?

Posted by gunslingerboy 
can i run Wii64 on a DVD-R?
May 21, 2012 09:42PM
i just want to play OoT with new graphics and motion control. i do not want to softmod my Wii since it still has a warranty. if i can run Wii64 from a DVD and not mod it in any way will be happy. i have texture packes and the files. i just want to play my favorite game with motion control
Re: can i run Wii64 on a DVD-R?
May 21, 2012 09:59PM
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure you can't use motion controls in Wii64. Even if you can, it's just a case of button controls being remapped to a shake or whatever, it's not proper motion controls.

Anyway, there is no way to run any sort of homebrew and keep your warranty in tact. Running any sort of "unauthorised code" will void the warranty, and I'm fairly sure there isn't any way to do so without leaving some trace at least. Even if you could run it from a DVD (which you can't, unless you have a Wii with a very old version of the system software and a modchip, which is a hardware modification and completely destroys your warranty in itself), they could tell that an "unauthorised" DVD has been run.

If you want homebrew, you pretty much have to "go the whole hog", so to speak, and install HBC. But know that even if you do, I don't Wii64 will give you motion controls, and quite possibly won't handle OoT with custom textures either. I believe it can barely run games without modification.
May 21, 2012 10:13PM
i don't care about the "shake" thing. i like twilight princess, and it's just like that. pretty soon it won't matter about the warranty. Wiis will be out of production soon and Wii Us will take over. over on the Wii64 site they said custom texture support was up. so is my best bet just to attach a bluetooth dongle to my PC and connect my PC to a TV?
May 21, 2012 10:17PM
here's one thing that would be cool, if you could make a DVD like the R4DS and install some kind of prog that tricked the Wii into thinking it was a real game and then use it like a flash drive. neat idea huh? no permanent mods required and a completely untraceable way to do it!
May 21, 2012 10:53PM
Genius idea, with one tiny flaw - it can't be done. There was one bug in the system software a long time ago that would have allowed this, but it has long since been eradicated and as I said above, it still required a modchip as well as the software bug (this is because official Wii discs are a little different to regular DVDs, so burnt discs don't work without a modchip or modified software).

One company, Datel, could press discs that worked without a modchip. They did it with a piece of software called "Freeloader" which allowed loading out of region discs. But it still required the software bug that is long gone. So it is a moot point.

Back on Wii64: I was just saying if motion control was possible, that would be all it was, but I don't think it is possible. I didn't know custom texture packs were now supported, but yes, that seems correct so that part should work.
May 21, 2012 11:04PM
well..... it seems that an HDMI cable, a converter, and a bluetooth dongle will be my best bet
May 21, 2012 11:32PM
That's probably the way to go if you really don't want to void your warranty.
May 22, 2012 03:31AM
You can launch homebrew apps directly from letterbomb without modifying anything on the wii (as long as the apps themselves make no permanent modifications).
May 22, 2012 07:27AM
It's irrelevant now, but I should point out that Wii64 does not actually support textures yet, the blog was updated but they haven't released the next version.
May 22, 2012 09:32AM
tueidj
You can launch homebrew apps directly from letterbomb without modifying anything on the wii (as long as the apps themselves make no permanent modifications).

I thought even exploits left some trace on the Wii? Anyway, it's a bit inconvenient to use an exploit every time you want to launch a homebrew.
May 22, 2012 02:17PM
They don't leave any traces if nothing gets installed. If you're only going to run the same homebrew app every time it's no more inconvenient than launching the homebrew channel.
May 22, 2012 03:39PM
OK, my bad. And yeah, I guess you're right, that's not any more inconvenient really.
May 22, 2012 07:28PM
when nintendo stops honoring the warranty on the Wii i will mod it. in the meantime i still have an at-will registration code that gives me a years warranty
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login