Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Work together: Let's change (fix) our forum!

Posted by Arikado 
Re: Work together: Let's change (fix) our forum!
December 06, 2009 11:38PM
iSubaru
2) Avatars
what about adding option to use avatar? even small like 50x50 or 100x100 pixels, it will be more fun and colourful here :)
Thats exactly what this forum doesn't need. I think everyone else is satisfied with the simplicity and organization of everything here, and avatars would just make everything worse.
December 07, 2009 01:36AM
Would it be possible to fix timezone differences? I live in mountain time and if anyone registers so at certain times it can say "Registered :Tomorrow" I know it's not that bad but it can get confusing at times.
December 07, 2009 01:40AM
Go to your control center, Crisco. You can change it there.
December 07, 2009 01:46AM
No I already have it set to GMT -7 but when some one registers at like 6 p.m. GMT it says the person was registered tomorrow and other bugs like that.
December 07, 2009 02:45AM
It's not a bug. We've set our copy of phorum to update each person's registration status at the same time on a 24 hour cycle. That means, at a certain time every 24 hours, everyone on the forum at once gets the time of a day added to how long they've been registered.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2009 02:46AM by Arikado.
December 07, 2009 03:28AM
Ahh okay, I was just wondering if it's a bug that can be fixed. But if it isn't I guess there's no need to worry. (not that there was any need to worry in the first place)
December 07, 2009 05:44AM
Another change that I think could be made for the forums(fora?):

The idea and request section seems to be getting a little bit spammed up with game ideas, and its not very often that these games are created. Considering that games (IMO) are not the highest priority for homebrew developers, maybe the privilege of making game requests should be disabled.

Does my idea make sense? If so, do you agree?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2009 05:44AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
December 07, 2009 12:59PM
Yes it makes sense. No, I dont agree. Carefully read the rules I've written for that forum and you'll understand why.
December 08, 2009 05:48AM
the "BIG RED LETTERS" today I just realized aren't really that big, Would it be possible to increase the font size by a couple of points so that the big red letters stand out even more? I was testing it out with my dad ( he never comes on here) and I asked him to make a post (I stopped him before he did) well he skipped right over the letters. I then Made a modified form of the page using GIMP to edit a photo of it and man how it stuck out better. Even my dad agreed that it was a lot easier to read. It really doesn't matter to me I know I won't talk about those things but anyone else who comes on here it might be for their benefit if they were a little bigger. Like :

Discussion of WAD, Backups, and ROMs is NOT ALLOWED! NO PIRACY!

Also is it supposed to say "WAD" not "WADS"
December 08, 2009 07:30AM
@Crisco:

I don't think it would really make a difference. It might've for your dad, but I don't think it would have the same effect on everyone else. If they're too idiotic (no offense to your dad :P) to not be able to read some giant read letters, I'm not really sure it would make that much of a difference.
December 08, 2009 09:59PM
To be perfectly honest, I'm not even sure how tona got those letters to be big or red. I'll talk to him and see if they can be made bigger. Good suggestion.
[u][size=x-large][b][color=#FF0000]let me try[/color][/b][/size][/u]
December 09, 2009 08:09AM
let me try
December 09, 2009 08:37AM
If you have access to it, it's a style in the CSS. class="warning".
December 09, 2009 04:28PM
yeah right now it's set to red, bold, 120% size... should be an easy change if you have access to it.
December 11, 2009 03:08AM
I second no avatars or sigs. A pet hate of mine is GBAfail and Tehskeen users who list their console setup, complete with often trivial modification details, as if it were a custom car or something...

Woah, this guy's packing a 2GB SD card: cripes, I'd better treat him with respect!

I have no complaints about this place.
December 11, 2009 03:55AM
alainvey
I second no avatars or sigs. A pet hate of mine is GBAfail and Tehskeen users who list their console setup, complete with often trivial modification details, as if it were a custom car or something...

Woah, this guy's packing a 2GB SD card: cripes, I'd better treat him with respect!

I concur. There is no doubt that this forum is set up in an excelent manner.
December 11, 2009 08:25PM
alainvey

Glad I'm not the only one annoyed by that ;). I just think it looks so stupid. I mean, anyone with that crap in their sig just looks like an idiot, who has followed the exact same guide as everyone else, and hence has the exact same cIOS crap and warez loader crap as everyone else. Pretty much all of them have the exact same stuff in a different font, perhaps a different System Menu or something every now and again.

/rant
December 12, 2009 03:11PM
As a newb I am sure my comments caryy little weight but here are my 2 cents. I think the board is well moderated and I love the no piracy rules, it keeps the board clean and safe. I think admin is doing a fine job and though another admin would always be useful, if there is no one qualified with the spare time, then there is no one available to do the job. As for the hardware section I have been here 5 weeks and seen about 3 posts so perhaps it needs folded into another section. On the topic of the "Off Topic" I would like to say that if you are going to have an off topic area it should be allowed to have whatever in it so long as it does not break the rules. I had to remove a post there, even though there was nothing in the rules against what I had posted, and it was in off topic, but for some reason it was still deemed against the rules. Now I don't mind but the rules need updated to reflect this, admin should know what I am talking about, if not PM me and I will tell you. Thankfully Admin knew I did not do it intentionally or with malicous and I did not get any reprimand so I can say that I do not think that the admin takes things overally seriously, or at least not in my case he didn't. My next issues is the rigidity of the rules, I think there are instances in which someone has a legitimate issue, such as a bricked Wii and needs help, in which the discussion of borderline against the rules material needs to be discussed to resolve the person's issue. In these cases admin should consider allowing the conversation with some kind of mark next to it indicating it is specifically allowed due to legit reasons but would otherwise be banned so as not to encourage negative behavior. In other words there are times where the rules need to be flexible so long as admin can administrate the conversation, given he has the time. Though I understand the flipside, it can become a slippery slope, if allowed once it could spiral out of control. Well thats my 2 cents on that. I guess it comes down to admins opinion and available time, on whether or not the rules can be made more flexible in legit situations that border the edge of the rules. My last note is that overrall the board is welcoming to newbs but like anything could use work, some of my posts were ignored/not answered even though I know people knew the answers, so as a community I think we need to work on our social skills and help others, particularly newbs, better. Thats all I have to say. I know I have little experience here so take it for what its worth, but perhaps it would be benefical to get the viewpoint of someone other than a vet on this topic. Thanks for taking the time to read this long post. Have a good one. Merry Christmas.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas
December 12, 2009 05:29PM
elmoreas
My next issues is the rigidity of the rules, I think there are instances in which someone has a legitimate issue, such as a bricked Wii and needs help, in which the discussion of borderline against the rules material needs to be discussed to resolve the person's issue.

In cases like this, discussion of some things that are not normally allowed, such as mod chips and WAD Manager, are tollerated. However, some things, such as Nintendo's official repair disc, are impossible to get without illegaly downloading them. Although this repair disc is certainly useful, it probably is not a good idea to allow discussion of it.
December 12, 2009 06:35PM
the repair disc isnt actually all that useful from the information i can find. all it can do is transfer the license for WW/VC games, re-generate your friend code or format your wii. maybe one or two other things, but nothing particularly useful in a brick.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.