Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Work together: Let's change (fix) our forum!

Posted by Arikado 
Re: Work together: Let's change (fix) our forum!
December 12, 2009 07:48PM
The repair disc can be used to fix a banner brick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2009 07:48PM by jbc007.
December 13, 2009 10:55AM
I don't know anything about the repair disc, I was refering to modchips and IOS's that can be useful for protection from a brick or certain apps that require a certain bug to install that can help you recover from a brick and or prevent one. Also in particular the installation of a certain bug to regain full use of gecko os on later menu versions, etc.. But that was just one point I was making. I would like to say that overall the board is well managed and is a useful place, I only have a couple small complaints that admin should probably just ignore as you can't make everyone happy all of the time. Later all.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas
December 13, 2009 11:13PM
elmoreas
I don't know anything about the repair disc, I was refering to modchips and IOS's that can be useful for protection from a brick or certain apps that require a certain bug to install that can help you recover from a brick and or prevent one. Also in particular the installation of a certain bug to regain full use of gecko os on later menu versions, etc.. But that was just one point I was making. I would like to say that overall the board is well managed and is a useful place, I only have a couple small complaints that admin should probably just ignore as you can't make everyone happy all of the time. Later all.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas

Restoration of trucha bug is now supported on wiibrew, via Trucha Bug Restorer and dop-IOS MOD.
December 18, 2009 04:32AM
I certainly agree that we need a Wii-Linux forum. The guides out there aren't that wonderful, and as someone who has never used Linux before I would certainly appreciate an easy to find place to discuss it, and begin to comprehend it.

I think the majority of us agree that avatars have no place here. I feel they would distract from the down-to-business feel of the forum. I come here and start reading things and actually learn a thing or two... elsewhere you see flashy colors and signatures that alter the display of the forum altogether and it just makes for a bad experience. I think having the usernames to identify us is plenty enough.

As far as discussion of illegal things in certain situations... I think rather than trying to get support for them at the moment... why not simply let the mods differentiate between what is a perfectly rational and legal reason to use these things and what is not as they have been doing? I certainly can see how we're all giving Nintendo the middle finger with all this, and I feel the mods have done an excellent job of keeping Homebrew safe from legal repurcussions thus far. They know how to do their job, and they do it well, let's let them continue to do that without trying to pressure them into allowing things that just... maybe shouldn't be allowed.

There were multiple subjects so far in this thread which gained support by various people until Arikado stepped in with a rather blatent and seriously overlooked point (simply because the various people aren't mods and don't have to think like them). And this, like those points I feel is best left up to the mods.

I do like the idea of upping the size of the red letters because... well, it seems to avoid certain things in IRC when you point out to people who join that they should read !rules. So if you up the font size, and maybe (unless Phorum won't allow for this), put it down where people are typing their message, maybe just above it or something, that way they'll hopefully get the point and not even try, thus [theoretically] making the mods job at least a bit simpler.

Reverse Engineering Board should absolutely be converted into two instead of four, much simpler, and considering the lack of use it won't be very cluttered... hell you could merge it into one and it wouldn't get cluttered. Seriously though, two definitely sounds good.

And though I like scanffs' idea about the coding forum, since Phorum doesn't allow for that sort of thing, I would love to see a sticky with all sorts of great tutorial links inside.

I don't know how important a revamp of the HomeBrew Applications list on the wiki is, but definitely I could see reviving the featured HomeBrew section, and if I still had my capture card I would love to continue doing the HomeBrew Showcase videos.

These are my opinions for what they are worth, and I hope to see a few of these changes some time in the not so distant future. (the wii-linux thing in particular). Thanks for taking the time to read all this, I hope it was somewhat useful.
December 18, 2009 06:26AM
Kammesennin
As far as discussion of illegal things in certain situations... I think rather than trying to get support for them at the moment... why not simply let the mods differentiate between what is a perfectly rational and legal reason to use these things and what is not as they have been doing? I certainly can see how we're all giving Nintendo the middle finger with all this, and I feel the mods have done an excellent job of keeping Homebrew safe from legal repurcussions thus far. They know how to do their job, and they do it well, let's let them continue to do that without trying to pressure them into allowing things that just... maybe shouldn't be allowed.

The problem is that the advice given in a perfectly legal context, can still be used in an illegal context
December 18, 2009 05:03PM
cactusjack901
Kammesennin

The problem is that the advice given in a perfectly legal context, can still be used in an illegal context

Your post seems argumentative, yet it agrees with my point, I'm a bit confused here?
December 18, 2009 11:41PM
Kammesennin
cactusjack901
Kammesennin

Your post seems argumentative, yet it agrees with my point, I'm a bit confused here?

Sorry, I misunderstood what you had said when I had first posted it
December 19, 2009 02:38AM
Gotcha... I'm used to it.
January 04, 2010 07:50PM
OK, this is back to the idea of deleting posts. I understand the reasons why this is bad but here's another thought I just had. Maybe we should allow a post to be deleted if there are no responses. This would be good for brain fart post that I'm sure we all make from time to time?
January 05, 2010 01:31PM
That might be to complicated for phorum, but still a great idea.
January 05, 2010 04:42PM
scanff
OK, this is back to the idea of deleting posts. I understand the reasons why this is bad but here's another thought I just had. Maybe we should allow a post to be deleted if there are no responses. This would be good for brain fart post that I'm sure we all make from time to time?
Yeah, I tried but it doesn't seem phorum software will let me do that. I even considered rewarding the delete permission to people who I think are good members of this forum but it won't let me do that either (the permission lets you either delete any post made by anyone or you can't delete anything at all -_-)

Also, I want to thank everyone for being so patient and letting us all have a nice long discussion. I now plan to move forward with our agreed upon changes as soon as possible.

Those changes would be:
[*]A merging of the software sections on the reverse engineering board
[*]The creation of a WiiLinux forum

I have decided against appointing more global moderators. I think I'm active enough that it's not really a problem.

We also have two users that I would like to recommend get moved up to moderator status for the Getting Started forum:
[*]SifJar
[*]WaxyPumpkin72

In my eyes, these are two of the most dedicated users to the forum as a whole and the two most active people in the Getting Started forum. Consequently, the Getting Started forum is also filled with the most new posts and the most problems. I truly believe these two gentlemen are more then capable of addressing problems in there before I get around to them myself. If there are no objections to this request, and both users accept my request to them, I will make it happen as quickly as possible (assuming that I receive approval from the other members of the forum staff).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2010 04:42PM by Arikado.
January 05, 2010 05:50PM
yeah, i'd definetly be up for that. i have exams for the next couple of weeks, so may not be on too much, but by the time its all sorted out, they'll probably be over or nearly over.
January 06, 2010 02:13AM
Have you thought about enlarging the size of the red letters? or is that impossible with this phorum software?
January 06, 2010 02:24AM
Crisco
Have you thought about enlarging the size of the red letters? or is that impossible with this phorum software?
To be honest, I'm not even sure how tona did that in the first place.
January 06, 2010 02:51AM
Ill mess around with phorum later and see if I can find out.
January 06, 2010 02:55AM
Crisco
Ill mess around with phorum later and see if I can find out.
Yeah, if you wanna do a test topic somewhere to try and duplicate the feat, go for it.
January 06, 2010 03:00AM
Well I was planning on downloading the source of phorum so I could try it as an admin :) but I'll tell you if I figure it out.
January 06, 2010 04:20AM
I agree with giving some power to SifJar and Waxypumpkin72. You are right about the getting started section. I did some research and in 2 weeks there were more than 450 new posts in that section. I think that that's a lot if moderating for one guy.
(Just my 2 cents)
January 06, 2010 05:56AM
I'd be willing to help out, but my school break is just about over, so I'll be pretty busy for the next few weeks. I'll be more active after the initial school rush is over, though.

Edit: This is just my opinion, but maybe you should give SifJar the privilege of moderating the fixmii forums, too. He really seems to help out a lot over there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2010 06:49PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
January 08, 2010 10:21PM
I concur, SifJar and Waxy were two of the few i had in mind from my original post on this thread.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.