Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My e-mail to Nintendo

Posted by eyesofnova 
My e-mail to Nintendo
December 01, 2008 11:14PM
I e-mail Nintendo recently in what I hoped would not be a failed attempt to have them work with the homebrew community to fight piracy of Wii games and promote development on the wii. I know some of you probably feel that you want piracy, but I think that if Nintendo worked with the homebrew community to patch holes in the system that would allow bootleg games than it would all in all be a better system.

Here is the e-mail complete with automated response just like I expected.

Dear Nintendo,

I am writing in response to recent upgrades in the system that have been your company way of trying to stop the homebrew community. While I understand the need to protect your system from bootleg copies of games being ran on your system I feel that this is not the right way of doing it due to the fact that the more you resist it the more the community will fight back. I myself run homebrew, but am a very active person against the piracy community due to the fact that I love Nintendo, and have been an avid fan since the original Nintendo Entertainment System and I feel the need to support the developers, and Nintendo if I want to keep my favorite game company developing my beloved games. I understand I need to buy games to keep the revenue coming in because developing quality games is not cheap, and piracy is just plain wrong. Nintendo releases a quality product that in my opinion surpasses many other companies in fun, and replay value.

I feel that instead of fighting the homebrew community Nintendo should instead work actively with them in trying to fix the holes that allow for pirated games to be ran. I know that one of the big homebrew developers made an effort to contact Nintendo about a potential hole in the system that would allow for pirated games to be played and never received a response from the company. This was quite an error on your company side, and because of it instead of working with him to patch this hole you ignored him and people released a way to play pirated games on the system using this hole. The company needs to work with the homebrew community, if you do not then your system will become like the next Playstation Portable where piracy plagues the system, and you will lose a lot of money.

Nintendo is not a stupid company, but some times I feel they ignore their user base. Because of homebrew I've been enjoying my Wii on many levels I never thought possible. I am able to run video on my Wii using an external hard drive, I am able to play quality homebrew like Mad Quiz, Wii Physics, and many other fun homebrew games, and there is so much more coming to the wii. I beg of your company to instead of fighting the homebrew community to work actively with them to stop piracy, and promote development on the system. This is the smart solution, and this is the right decision. Please don't disappoint me Nintendo.

Sincerely,
Robert

As you can see, a pretty well thought out e-mail on my part, here is the automated response I received a day later.

Hello Robert,

While we appreciate your feedback, the “homebrew” channels and applications you’ve seen are not part of the Wii system menu and are not licensed by Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't support, endorse, or recommend downloading any applications or other software not developed or approved for use with the Wii console by Nintendo.

Sincerely,

Sharon Matheny
Nintendo of America Inc.

Nintendo's home page: [www.nintendo.com]
Power Line (Automated Product Info): (425) 885-7529

Pretty lame response from ""Sharon"" which I suspect is one of their customer support people over seas who's job is to give non-constructive e-mails. I had a little hope that Nintendo would at least take the time to give me a well thought e-mail why they'll never work with the homebrew community but like I said before, my hopes we're low. I ended up using their customer feedback link in the e-mail that I left out, why I was not satisfied with their response but once again my hopes are very very low.

-Rob-
Re: My e-mail to Nintendo
December 02, 2008 08:11PM
eyesofnova

I know that one of the big homebrew developers made an effort to contact Nintendo about a potential hole in the system that would allow for pirated games to be played and never received a response from the company.

Didn't (bushing) recieve a response from Nintendo?
[hackmii.com]

What kind of answer did you expect? How far could Nintendo be constructive about that?
The response was, that Nintendo does not endorse running unlicenced code on their system, which is a msart answer.
December 02, 2008 09:39PM
Bushing hinted in IRC once that Nintendo actually harrassed him, and said that he would tell the full story one day.
December 02, 2008 09:49PM
Well, as you can see I stated many times I had low hopes so my expectations were fairly low. It just goes to show you that even acting in good faith, Nintendo really hasn't got a clue.
December 03, 2008 02:55AM
eyesofnova
Nintendo really hasn't got a clue.

About what?
As far as we outsiders can tell, the only parts of Nintendo, that do not have a clue, are the system-programmers.
December 15, 2008 03:56AM
Yeah, I've actually had a less-than-pleasant exchange with a Nintendo executive about the matter. I wouldn't waste your time :(
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login