Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WiiBrew Creation Tool for Beginner Programmers

Posted by LordAshes 
Re: WiiBrew Creation Tool for Beginner Programmers
December 21, 2009 02:27PM
Yeah, the Mario Kart was a bad example I think. But Doomed looks good enough to try *downloading* so I'll look into it and maybe change my opinion slightly, but regardless... w/o some programming knowledge/skill, nothing all that great is coming out of GM. But anyway, let me get to Doomed and I'll edit this post afterwards.

EDIT: Okay, there were some impressive aspects to the game. For one, it did 3d. I don't know if it was real 3d or the psuedo-3d that the original Doom does, but either way, good job. But the enemies feel turn-based almost in the way they attack, which is rather odd for a FPS.

It was such a resource hog though for what it was, I had a good long wait before I could get back to my browser window.

I will admit I underestimated GM a bit, but I won't say that it's good.

I would try MarioKart, but I'm just not going to play a racing game in which the major con listed by the author is "turning corners".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2009 02:46PM by Kammesennin.
December 27, 2009 01:02AM
[www.yoyogames.com] is probably a better example.
December 31, 2009 05:43AM
WikiFSX
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/14296-crimelife-2 is probably a better example.
Yeah, that's a good example if ever I've seen one.

Maybe with enough time and effort something good could come of this after all... In that case, I'm sorry for all the flames about it.
January 01, 2010 05:16AM
we should support it, theres a free one, its fair enough.
January 01, 2010 05:42AM
AllRight
we should support it, theres a free one, its fair enough.
If you expect to be taken seriously, then you'll pose a counter argument to the points already made in this topic. If that's the best you've got, then on the behalf of this forum, hell no.

To specifically respond to your point; you are aware that the purpose of the free version is to sell the full version, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2010 05:44AM by Arikado.
January 05, 2010 02:19AM
Via a conversation on IRC I've been asked to remove all posted content and responses to a user who posted what I found to be a bit of utter nonsense. The user was banned on the spot for I interpreted his actions as unacceptable and pointless spam. His account has now been restored. I apologize to anyone that is inconvenienced by the removal of their posts or this situation as a whole. I also apologize to the user over this incident.

Please let this topic continue in the matter that it should be. Any more discussion over this incident may take place with me privately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2010 02:21AM by Arikado.
January 10, 2010 06:45AM
It has just come to my attention that the topic WikiFSX posted in the Wii Game Studio forums about Wii Game Studio being illegally sold has been deleted and that WikiFSX (known as FSX on the forum) has been permanently banned. As far as I know, there was no reason for doing this besides that the author of Wii Game Studio does not want to fix his program (which is silly since it's just a matter of missing .txt files).

I strongly encourage all of you reading this to report to PayPal that is product is being illegally sold in response to their unjustifiable response. I have also notified the GRRLIB team of this.

I will keep you all updated in further developments of this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2010 07:18AM by Arikado.
January 10, 2010 03:38PM
Breaking licences should be banished in my opinion, no matter if it is a tool to help new coders.

Arikado
Yeah, in GMs defense, there are always a few rare creative users pushing the limits of it. These users usually do have programming experience to be able to do so though. The best example I can find on short notice is this: [www.yoyogames.com]

Edit: [www.yoyogames.com] - Another great one
YoYogames is the company of the son of the creator of gamemaker, which now manages the developement and exploitation of gamemaker. So no cloning in any way.
January 10, 2010 08:51PM
Arikado
It has just come to my attention that the topic WikiFSX posted in the Wii Game Studio forums about Wii Game Studio being illegally sold has been deleted and that WikiFSX (known as FSX on the forum) has been permanently banned. As far as I know, there was no reason for doing this besides that the author of Wii Game Studio does not want to fix his program (which is silly since it's just a matter of missing .txt files).

I strongly encourage all of you reading this to report to PayPal that is product is being illegally sold in response to their unjustifiable response. I have also notified the GRRLIB team of this.

I will keep you all updated in further developments of this.

Yes reporting a violation to paypal is very effective. Paypal has so many customers they don't want to take any chances, thus they will ban an account if there's any questions. I know this from experience :) However as you know Arikado dealing with some of the other merchant vendors is a pain :P
January 10, 2010 08:56PM
Yup, I and a few other people reported it :-) (But if anyone else reading this would also like to report it, please do so so it gets taken down more quickly)

Like you said, thank goodness for PayPal trying to keep their service as clean as possible unlike that certain other service :P
January 11, 2010 03:56AM
Arikado
WikiFSX (known as FSX on the forum) has been permanently banned.

Where did you hear that? I wasn't.

Cornell, who had a valid point at first but then resorted to flaming people, was. Granted, the relevant post was hard to decipher.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2010 03:58AM by WikiFSX.
January 11, 2010 04:17AM
I found this on the Wii Game studio forum the direct link is here - [wiigamestudio.com]

fatquack
There was a topic which subsequentley was deleted as most of its replies were offensive. Basically, the two main complaints people have are:

1)It uses GRRLib for which it gives no credit

- It uses an early version of GRRLib the license for which permits my to do this. I am planning on crediting it in the future, although the reason I did not is because people would question why it is using GRRlib when its license doesn't allow it, although it does not use a version of grrlib that forbids this. it uses version 1.0.

2) It uses 7-Zip.

- I will definately Credit this in future releases, but 7-Zip is not u ised by the software as such, its included as an exe in its own right which is run in a hidden window by Wii game studio. Also, i made no modifications to the 7-zip file, it is just the same as asking users to install devkitPro, but for 7-Zip - only the wiigs installer installs it for you.
January 11, 2010 04:34AM
WikiFSX, they deleted your post and as far as I know never responded to it. I dont follow their forum so I wasn't aware that the member who was banned wasn't you. I just assumed it was. I tried looking up the member named "Cornell" you suggested to me and it seems they deleted all of his posts so I can only assume they shared the same merit and points of view yours did. If they were disgustingly offensive, they should have kept them in order avoid what I can only assume is them trying to get rid of every controversial statement on their forum.

scanff, thanks for posting the response from them. Unfortunately, they are wrong. The problem is that they need those two licenses in their product to legally sell it and they are failing to include them. Plain and simple. Since it only takes two seconds to add the licenses and update the product, it appears that they are doing everything they can to keep people who indirectly contributed to the project from getting credit they are legally entitled to. This is why I and others reported them to PayPal (hopefully by some time tomorrow someone will get a response and we'll know if it's going to be removed from paypal or not).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2010 04:34AM by Arikado.
January 13, 2010 12:53AM
I've just had a less then pleasant exchange of emails between myself and fatquack (the developer of Wii Game Studio) in which I was accused of spamming their forum and threatened with a lawsuit over a fake paypal email they received. Neither of these accusations are true and it actually turned out that ... well ... you'll have to wait till tomorrow to read the whole story (and the entire exchange of emails between us) on my blog ;)
January 13, 2010 01:35AM
Arikado
I've just had a less then pleasant exchange of emails between myself and fatquack (the developer of Wii Game Studio) in which I was accused of spamming their forum and threatened with a lawsuit over a fake paypal email they received. Neither of these accusations are true and it actually turned out that ... well ... you'll have to wait till tomorrow to read the whole story (and the entire exchange of emails between us) on my blog ;)

I will take a look. Do you need help with anything?
January 13, 2010 03:16AM
Oh man I can't wait for tomorrow then.
January 13, 2010 03:54AM
Crisco
Oh man I can't wait for tomorrow then.
Me too. :)
January 13, 2010 03:56AM
Thanks scanff, I really appreciate the offer but I'm fine now. As everyone will read tomorrow, I was really shaken up at first when I came home from school and saw this in my inbox:
Arikados Inbox
Will Thompson
(Arikado/Cornell)

I am FatQuack from Wii Game Studio and if you try any more funny business, I will press charges for fraud due to your fake email from paypal. After 01/02/2010 you may return to wii game studio (though I cannot see why you would want to) but further offence will cause a perminate ban a legal action against ths paypal fraud.

--
Robert Dixon - FatQuack
I seriously had absolutely no idea what was going on and sent them a reply asking for more information on their accusations. I'd post the entire exchange of emails here but I'd like to throw some comments in between of what was going on inside my head and I'd really rather use my blog as dumping grounds as the entire communication between us was rather long. I also consulted a few people on IRC about it and will use my post tomorrow as an opportunity to thank them (too much homework and not enough time to get the post all neatly written and posted today).

Edit: And no, my name is not "Will Thomas". How they came to that conclusion though is rather amusing. fatquack would later explain to me that he put "Arikado" after [facebook.com] and assumed that the person who popped up was me. I would reply to that telling him that I believe he has the "sleuthing skills of a two year old".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2010 04:03AM by Arikado.
January 13, 2010 04:09AM
You know that's why I think you're awesome you're not afraid to point out peoples stupidity, and you do it in a very creative way...
January 13, 2010 04:39AM
Also, he assumed you were Cornell. If you aren't, he should easily be able to figure that out, seeing as he runs the forums and all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login