Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Suggestion for Improving the Forum

Posted by elmoreas 
Suggestion for Improving the Forum
January 18, 2010 05:17PM
I have an idea for improving the forum that should not be that hard to implement code wise. I have seen it on many other forums so it must not be that difficult. It is a little banner at the bottom of the main page that shows who all is on the forum that does not have the option "hide me" checked in their account prefrences. It is very useful in that it lets you know who all is on that doesn't mind being PM'ed, otherwise they would be hidden, and it lets you know what the chances are that your post will get a response in a certain amount of time. I really wish we had this here. Perhaps this could be added or grandfathered in on the site, admin? What do you think? Would you find this useful, would you hide yourself or be available? Do you want it added to the site? Comment and let the admin know. If enough people actually want it on the site perhaps it will be added. Thanks in advance to those that take the time to comment and give their opinion. Also I would be interested to hear from a moderator or admin on if this is feasible and what they think of it. Talk to you all later.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas
Re: Suggestion for Improving the Forum
January 18, 2010 05:52PM
I don't think Phorum can handle that.
January 18, 2010 06:14PM
I'd PM them anyway, even if they weren't online.
January 18, 2010 06:29PM
Its just a useful little feature I have seen on other forums, those are only two examples of why it is useful. It can help in the creation of buddy lists it can help people know what time of day is the best time to get on and ask a question here vs. the irc due to the # of people on at various times, it makes finding and sending a PM to someone who is currently online that much more easier, it lets you know if someone left the site so you don't sit around waiting for a reply to a post or PM from someone in particular that is no longer on, etc. etc. etc... My point is it can be a very useful addition to a forum if it can be supported by the software that the forum is run on. I am not familar with coding on a forum so I do not know how hard it would be to implement post launch but being that it is on so many forums my thinking is that it cannot be impossible unless it is just outright not allowed by the software. But I thought more people would think it useful. Being that 2 for 2 do not I think this is probably just a pipe dream for Wiibrew Forums. Which is fine this is a great forum, I just thought I would try to make it that much better. But Ce La Vie right. Anyways, I would still like to hear what a moderator or admin thinks about it but other than that I guess there is not that much interest in it. Talk to you all later.

Sincerely,
Elmoreas
January 18, 2010 06:51PM
It might be a good idea, but it wouldn't be helpful if someone were to PM me and expect an immediate response, because I never logout. :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2010 06:51PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
January 18, 2010 08:50PM
I've seen it on phpbb forums. I bloody hate that feature! :P
January 18, 2010 08:56PM
Well I think the consensus is in on this idea. Put this one down in the no category. ;) Oh well it was just a thought.

Elmoreas
January 18, 2010 09:12PM
elmoreas, this is completely off-topic, but is there any chance you could stop making posts which are just huge blocks of text? Either make them a bit shorter or break them up with linebreaks or something, but your posts almost always seem to be huge blocks of text and I almost never bother to read them as a result.

On-topic: That feature is pointless IMO, anytime I see it on a forum I think "What's the point?"
January 18, 2010 09:26PM
Yes I can do that. Sorry. Guess I get so carried away with an idea I forget to use the enter key. Will do on ones that need to be long and will try to keep the rest short from now on.

As for this topic, I thought it would be a good way to keep up with traffic levels and specific people at a glance. But obviously I am the only one who likes the feature so IMO, dead issue. I say lock topic and move to Junkyard, or just delete it. It was a bad idea to post it. Sorry.

Elmoreas
January 18, 2010 09:58PM
There's probably a plugin (or in phorum terminology, "module") for it somewhere. It seems most people dont want it though ...
January 19, 2010 12:25AM
Arikado
There's probably a plugin (or in phorum terminology, "module") for it somewhere. It seems most people dont want it though ...
I honestly don't care. If you want to take the time to implement it, i guess you could. I'm just saying that it doesn't really make a difference.
January 19, 2010 12:47AM
I for one dont care much for this feature. (Sorry elmoreas)
January 19, 2010 02:21AM
Is there by chance a Private Thread module? that would work so much better than the PM system.
January 19, 2010 02:31AM
Crisco
Is there by chance a Private Thread module? that would work so much better than the PM system.
Why would it be any better?
January 19, 2010 02:56AM
Personally I find that replying to every PM is rather tedious, a conversation between two people would be more effecient if it was in a thread where it is much easier to go through the entire conversation.
January 19, 2010 03:02AM
Crisco
Personally I find that replying to every PM is rather tedious, a conversation between two people would be more effecient if it was in a thread where it is much easier to go through the entire conversation.
Hm. I disagree. XD Lol, I just really don't quite see a point in that.
January 19, 2010 03:03AM
Also it allows multiple people to join in on a conversation, you can't do that with PM's.
January 19, 2010 03:05AM
It probably would save space tbh, but PM works just fine so Im kinda against changing something that isnt broken. If you want a private thread for more then 2 people to participate in, can I direct you to IRC?
January 19, 2010 03:12AM
Crisco
Also it allows multiple people to join in on a conversation, you can't do that with PM's.
Ah, now I see the point. That actually makes sense to me now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login