Advanced

suggestions for the forums policies

Posted by SlimeCounty 
suggestions for the forums policies
January 19, 2010 04:17AM
i ask that these policies be included in your forum rules-

-no ban without warning
-no posting of personal information with/without malicious intent
-no editing of posts by mods without tagging the post as "edited by___".
-and although this isnt a rule or policy, it would be nice to be able to
contact an admin or mod without being signed in.

i understand that the mods are ridiculously busy, but
these are rules/features that are present in most active forums on the web today
and for good reason, they stop admins and mods from malicious behavior.
the reason i bring this up is:
i corrected a mod, who didnt like/believe what i said, my account was banned,
and the offending moderator posted my personal information, this is malicious behavior.
i broke no rule or policy, i did not flame or insult anyone, and the only reason to post
my personal information was to prove that he could and that i could do nothing about it.
I could not contact any admin or mod of this site once banned, and had to track the offending
mod down on irc. after this, the mod lifted my ban, but then deleted our posted conversation
removing almost all evidence that he was wrong and i was right, outside of a short apology.
out of respect i mention no names, but you can take a good guess at who he is by
browsing these forums--hes got a nasty habit of acting in this fashion.
he has made some useful contributions to the homebrew scene, which is the source of my respect for him,
but his actions were juvenille at best, and i feel it would be helpful to the site and fair to
those who spend time posting here if these policies/features were considered/implemented,
as they will help to prevent any further abuse. if i missed something, and these policies/features have
already been implemented, please disregard this request...thanks so much for your time.
Re: suggestions for the forums policies
January 19, 2010 02:35PM
Sharing personal information is, really, crossing the line.

What did your post say, in essence?
January 19, 2010 04:32PM
Your ability to post here is a privilege not a right. And this privilege can be revoked at any moment without reason. The owner(s) of wiibrew.org rule here. Not the users.

A friend of mine once used the house comparison:
I invite you in my house, let you do your thing here. And then when you do something I do not like and I throw you out.
But when I throw you out I'm suddenly unfair? It is my house, and here I rule.

(replace house with forum)

In line with that, less rules is better. This gives the mods freedom to keep the forum in order. As soon as you make strict and clear rules people will search for that one thing which is not covered by the rules, just to piss you off. Or when a mod steps a bit over the line they start kicking and screaming.

So I suggest the following rules:
1) Have fun, bring fun.
2) No piracy (including backups, backup loaders, USB loaders, illegal WADs)
3) Mods have the final word.
Scrap all other rules. 99% of the stuff people do against the 'rules' is covered by rule 1.
January 20, 2010 12:35AM
^But if I threw you out of my house I'd be unlikely to put up a signpost in my garden with a bunch of your personal info on ;-)

I agree with your house analogy, but members should have a reasonable expectation of privacy as well.
January 20, 2010 12:46AM
{daid}
"It is my house, and here I rule."

well whatever dude, i hope you dont apply that to the way you live your life-
you'll be all alone and your house will be burnt to the ground.
with all do respect youre not a mod here so im not sure if you can speak for the site-

{wikifsx}
"What did your post say, in essence?"

my post simply said "irregardless is not a word, mate." which it is not.
he then flamed me, but didn't ban me until another member spoke out
to say i was right, which was also deleted.

it's simply not safe for anyone to use these forums if mods are left to carry out temper tantrums.
if my account can be banned and my personal information scattered about without my say-so
then it can happen to anyone...i never stepped out of line, just caught a mod on a bad day and
i never meant any disrespect. malicious use of personal information is AGAINST THE LAW.
welcome to the 21st century.

i want to contribute to the scene and this site, but what ive seen just makes me shake my head,
and hey, they were just suggestions.
January 20, 2010 12:53AM
SlimeCounty
-no ban without warning
So I should warn spam bots that Im going to ban them and patiently wait expecting a response meanwhile the IP used is making a hundred new accounts to spam the forum with?

Banning is to be done at the digression of a forum administrator. If you do your best to intentionally piss off the an administrator with a personal attack filled with irrelevant nonsense in the middle of a serious debate, you're more likely to not get a warning before being banned.

SlimeCounty
-no posting of personal information with/without malicious intent (Insert text at end of post)
I take it you're referring to how I referred to you using your name in place of your user name to respond to a post you made demonstrating "malicious" and "juvenile" behavior on your part in a personal attack against me in a topic which was in the middle of an extremely serious discussion. Yes, I'm sorry I called you by your name as you're clearly ashamed of it for God knows what reason. To be honest, if I was thinking as clearly as I am now I should have just deleted your post as it was irrelevant and banned you on account of appearing to be yet another spammer/troll from the website I was attacking in the topic you posted in. Almost 2 years of volunteering my time to help keep the forum a safe place for constructive discussion of Wii homebrew and I make one mistake; So take away my internet forever and force me to work in a sweat shop for pennies for the rest of my life.

SlimeCounty
-no editing of posts by mods without tagging the post as "edited by___".
Phorum already tags the posts as "Last edited by ____ at ____ ". The mods/admins dont need to do anything.

SlimeCounty
-and although this isnt a rule or policy, it would be nice to be able to
contact an admin or mod without being signed in.
You can ... On IRC or the wiki ...

Now a quick side point: I unbanned you because you convinced you that you were sorry for personally attacking me in the wrong place at the wrong time and that you were interested in contributing to constructive discussion in the best forum for Wii homebrew. But, despite what you lead me to believe, you seem to only want to fume over trivial matters that have already happened and been forgotten and to bicker over things you have no real say in. So I ask you? Why are you here? (Besides of course trying - and failing - to make me look bad again)
January 20, 2010 01:04AM
SlimeCounty
{daid}
"It is my house, and here I rule."

well whatever dude, i hope you dont apply that to the way you live your life-
you'll be all alone and your house will be burnt to the ground.
with all do respect youre not a mod here so im not sure if you can speak for the site-
Don't like it? Leave. People who do nothing but waste server space are not wanted here. You may be able to come up with the perfect "fair" system, but the problem is that you will never have perfect people using the system. Thus, our forum rules are only a basis for what will and will not go on here. These rules may be interpreted and/or extended by each administrator differently. The forums were constructed under an experimental system for the purpose of encouraging constructive discussion. I'd argue that things have worked out pretty darn well all considering. Take one look through are coding section or reverse engineering sections and you will surely see a level of intelligent discussion about Wii homebrew that you can find nowhere else on the web.

SlimeCounty
{wikifsx}

So now you're going to lie about what happened? lolk. I'm sure everyone else who saw your post can point out there were a number of personal attacks against me in there as well. For example, "I bet you use the ATM Machine xD" and other silly nonsense like that.

SlimeCounty
it's simply not safe for anyone to use these forums if mods are left to carry out temper tantrums.
The fact that you're even here bothering to have this debate clearly shows that you Sir are the one having the temper tantrum. You're reviveing a grudge you can't let go over something that happened a long time ago and was forgotten.

SlimeCounty
if my account can be banned and my personal information scattered about without my say-so
then it can happen to anyone...i never stepped out of line, just caught a mod on a bad day and
i never meant any disrespect.
You made a personal attack on me so I sent a personal attack back against you. Two wrongs don't make a right but I did was no worse then what you did.

SlimeCounty
malicious use of personal information is AGAINST THE LAW.
welcome to the 21st century.
You fail to realize that laws are different in every country. In my country (America), simply calling someone by their proper name is not illegal. And I fail to see how it was "malicious" in any way.

SlimeCounty
i want to contribute to the scene and this site, but what ive seen just makes me shake my head,
and hey, they were just suggestions.
Then contribute and stop this childishness. Or leave.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2010 01:09AM by Arikado.
January 20, 2010 01:45AM
SlimeCounty
my post simply said "irregardless is not a word, mate."

Ahh, you are that guy. Take a look at this[dictionary.com] While technically a nonstandard word, it is still a word.
January 20, 2010 02:07AM
Arikado
So now you're going to lie about what happened? lolk. I'm sure everyone else who saw your post can point out there were a number of personal attacks against me in there as well. For example, "I bet you use the ATM Machine xD" and other silly nonsense like that.
I believe he didn't mean it as a personal attack, he was only pointing out the redundancy of "irregardless" by using an example (ATM machine; Automated Teller Machine machine).
January 20, 2010 03:03AM
Arikado
SlimeCounty
{wikifsx}

Yeah I read that conversation. He was out of line, but neither of you were acting perfectly. If I remember correctly, another admin of the wiki came and corrected both of you. I am not taking sides though...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2010 03:05AM by TopGun96.
January 20, 2010 03:06AM
TopGun96
If I remember correctly, another admin of the wiki came and corrected both of you. I am not taking sides though...
No, that was a debacle on the wiki between me and another member of the wiki who was editing my content with untrue/inaccurate information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2010 03:07AM by Arikado.
January 20, 2010 03:35AM
"...contribute and stop this childishness.Or leave."

will do.

like i said they were just suggestions, and i blieved this was the proper
forum for suggestions. as much as id like to pick apart your responses arikado,
i wont continue this because i know that speaking my mind, even in a
respectful manner, will only get me banned again, and anything i say will be deleted.
January 20, 2010 03:44AM
Go for it SlimeCounty. I publicly promise I wont ban you or delete any of your responses (so long as they do not contain links to illegal information).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login