Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Patched IOS support

Posted by WikiFSX 
Patched IOS support
February 02, 2010 02:06AM
Okay.

Just a stance clarification, do we support patched IOSes (i.e. the end products of Dop-IOS MOD and TBR) or not?

The general community consensus seems to be that we do, but marcan says we don't.

What should we do?
Re: Patched IOS support
February 02, 2010 02:59AM
I think so. If we didn't, why would we support Dop-IOS and TBR?
February 02, 2010 03:24AM
We do. Just so long as A)They aren't used illegally and B)They are not the cIOSs created with the intention of being used illegally.
February 02, 2010 04:36AM
And I think marcan just didn't want you recommending patched IOS because they can be more dangerous
February 02, 2010 08:34PM
I thought he said system menu IOS, did he not? That is much more dangerous than regular patched IOS, because if they are corrupted or install fails, you have a full brick, where as with a regular IOS, you just may not be able to use certain games etc. until you fix it.
February 02, 2010 09:59PM
[url=http://forum.wiibrew.org/read.php?21,46559,48306#msg-48306
marcan[/url]]Nor are patched system IOSes - WikiFSX, this is your warning. Patching system stuff is always a bad idea.
I'm pretty sure he meant patching any IOSes..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2010 10:00PM by bg4545.
February 02, 2010 10:40PM
oops, speed reading not such a great idea perhaps =P. But I don't see how marcan can say that when dop-IOS MOD and TBR are on WiiBrew. And WiiSCU. And PatchMii itself, a Team Twiizers creation designed FOR patching updates.
February 03, 2010 11:05PM
marcan's intent seems to be to say "It's fine if you have a patched IOSwhatever running as IOSinsert unused/stub IOS slot here, but actually throwing it into whatever's normal slot is a bad idea." This fits with the "Installing patched updates could brick your Wii" thing displayed in the Wiki header.

We support apps that require you to do this for them to work at all. (RawkSD)

So, again, should we remove support for RawkSD?
February 03, 2010 11:11PM
I stick to my original statement:
Arikado
We do. Just so long as A)They aren't used illegally and B)They are not the cIOSs created with the intention of being used illegally.

To the best of my knowledge marcan's comment was referring to the IOS which runs the system menu, not all IOSs in general (despite that his comment can legitimately interpreted to mean the latter but I assure you that that is not what he meant).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2010 11:12PM by Arikado.
February 03, 2010 11:14PM
However, the IOS that I was recommending that the user patch was 36. No system menu has ever used IOS36, so marcan could only have meant one thing.
February 03, 2010 11:29PM
marcan makes mistakes too then? Seriously, don't worry about it.
February 05, 2010 01:48PM
Okay, marcan finally wrote back.

marcan
WikiFSX
I was under the impression that we did, as of now, support that. Other community members have led me to believe so, and the wiki currently carries pages for Trucha Bug Restorer (which can only be used for that purpose) and Dop-IOS MOD, which recently gained that ability.

Just because tools have the ability to do questionable things doesn't mean they should be recommended or endorsed in the forums.

As far as I'm concerned, TBR is left to exist in Wiibrew because it's a relatively nasty exploit that Nintendo ought to patch. Apparently Nintendo can't be arsed to patch anything that we don't personally use for HBC, which is why TBR's bug has stood unfixed for several updates. Hiding TBR would just make it worse. Even worse, this bug can be used by scammers to again attempt to bypass HBC's scamscreen by installing old versions yet (run TBR, use wad manager to install old version of HBC, start fucking users in the ass again). So far, they haven't figured that out yet, but they might.

As for Dop-IOS, blindly patching system IOSes is still a retarded idea. Some people may want to do so to mod games or that kind of stuff, but that's not supported on the forums. Basically, I don't want random newbies doing this.
February 05, 2010 09:45PM
So in short, don't recommend it unless it's absolutely necessary.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login