Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PM system broken?

Posted by technoman 
PM system broken?
October 19, 2011 08:41PM
I was wondering what happened to the PM system. I was trying to send another user a PM about something and I get this error:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 32 bytes) in /home/hbc-www/forum.wiibrew.org/include/db/mysql/mysqli.php on line 248
Oddly enough I get that same message when click the Send a PM button from the control center. I vaguely remember that it was getting fixed or something but I started getting it for some reason when I try to post (could be FiOS though that's causing problems with all of their updates".
Re: PM system broken?
October 19, 2011 08:59PM
PM system has been broken for a while, dunno if anyone's actually trying to fix it or not tbh.
October 19, 2011 10:50PM
There's nothing I can do about that at the moment, I have to get in touch with mha to fix it.
January 02, 2012 04:48AM
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 80 bytes) in /home/hbc-www/forum.wiibrew.org/include/db/mysql/mysqli.php on line 248

I'm getting this error too oddly enough.
January 02, 2012 06:10AM
Yeah it still hasn't been fixed
January 03, 2012 12:06AM
Would you like me to try to fix it for you? Being SQL and unencrypted, I could be in in a matter of minutes and have it fixed soon after. Of course, in theory, I could also make it link to 10 hours of Nyan Cat. Just something else you might want to get a hold of them about soon.
Because, if your admin. isn't available, who's driving this thing anyway? And who do you point the finger at when the entire site has crashed into a canyon of no return? Who's maintaining a backup of this page?
In short, who's lazy bum isn't doing their job and when is it time to replace them?
January 03, 2012 12:27AM
mha kindly donates some of his personal server space to wiibrew for the wiki and the forums, probably for hackmii as well. you are seeming rather arrogant and ungrateful at the moment. mha has a life, and so cannot spend all his time fixing this forum. yeah there are problems, but its nothing too major.
January 03, 2012 03:34AM
My arrogance only takes place when issues go ignored and I have to jump through a dozen hoops to try to get a simple task accomplished. I would be more grateful if people would take me at my word instead of pointing me in different directions constantly. I've done my homework. I've checked and double-checked things and I'm still left repeating myself again and again.
Consider, for example, that this private message issue has existed since Aug. at the latest. It was mentioned then. Roughly 4 months ago.
Now, consider that people have personal information on this site. For example, e-mail addresses and maybe re-using their password out of bad habit. As I mentioned before, nothing's encrypted so someone could just download the entire list of names, passwords and e-mail addresses without breaking a sweat. Considering all of these things, I get really impatient.
On Hackmii.com, I was told that what I've read 5 times over wasn't real because it wasn't in a database properly. A database that doesn't correct their entries when requested or even respond to kindly written e-mails. Instead of having me try to post a screenshot when I can't post even a link is a major logic error. Instead, maybe pointing them to a less-public place, asking them for their MAC address and crafting a message with a specific and easy to follow request such as e-mail this number sequence to this address so I can verify that it worked (as it's dependent on the MAC address) instead of "post a screenshot then maybe I'll believe you."
Look, I'm going to come right out and say that I get arrogant when I see something that I perceive to be poorly designed and there's nothing done about it. Like maybe even adding an option after entering a MAC address that's refused that says, "The MAC address prefix you entered isn't in our database. Please re-check the MAC address and re-enter it above." Then a checkbox after verification that says, "If you're certain the above address is correct, please check here." In which it would store the prefix and it could be added after enough people have verified it.
I'm sorry I've been a jerk. I'm just tired of putting forth efforts and getting nowhere.
January 03, 2012 04:07AM
If you can take it down, go ahead. None of the moderators here have direct access to the server so it's the only way it will be noticed by the people who can fix it.
January 03, 2012 04:57AM
-_- I don't want to take it down. I'm just saying I think you need a second admin in case the first is busy or something. I don't hack, I just know that certain things should be changed sooner than later. Though...umm...if it'll get noticed... >_< I'll hold off.

Again, I'm really sorry. I don't know what came over me. I've been really irritable lately and didn't mean to take it out on you.

SQL = injection attack ready
Passwords = unencrypted and transmitted via plain text
Database = probably not able to handle thousands of compressed GET requests per second but not what I want to do.

The PM system would be a very important feature to get back up in case of private data being transmitted. Ideally, it would also be nice to encrypt the messaging system (beware of message rate as this would introduce a greater vulnerability to crashing the server via PM requests).
I wonder if he has a DVD drive installed in the server? Hmm...might get the message across if I open and close it a few times during the day (assuming it's not a shared VM server). I suppose I could cron it or something.

mha, please hurry. lol
January 03, 2012 10:41AM
I don't think mha comes by here too often, so posting here won't get his attention.
January 06, 2012 03:38AM
How about tonight? ^_^
January 02, 2013 08:58PM
The PM system appears to be fixed now, so PM away
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login