Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wiiexe

Posted by durda_dan 
wiiexe
February 18, 2009 07:43AM
is there a program that loads EXE files off the sd card? I thought i saw one once, But i can't find it, so maybe i dreamed it... if there is one do you know where i could get it?
Re: wiiexe
February 18, 2009 07:46AM
No, there's no way to run exe files
See [forum.wiibrew.org]

bg4545
gus051
wow its really hard, i wanted to make something that could play mugen on wii or .exe games. do you know if theres an emulator for the wii that play .exe games?
No, that's probably not even possible...
And that is a bit off-topic...
Arikado
.exe is the windows format of executables. Maybe if we port Wine to Wii linux... Nah, it would be too hard and damn near impossible. The Wii is also not even close to powerful enough to run most .exes any way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2009 07:48AM by bg4545.
February 19, 2009 01:48AM
Well, EXEs existed long before Windows, and a pretty big proportion (although I wouldn't want to guess the exact ratio) of EXEs now are still in the DOS format; Firefox is just one example. That's kind of irrelevant to my point though, which is this: a DOSbox port would probably be possible (but slow, at least to begin with), and that would run EXEs, but only those in the old DOS format which are actually intended to be run from DOS, not Win32 and up.

EDIT: And technically you can "run" a lot of modern (Windows) EXEs under DOS, but all they do is inform you that the program is intended to be run under Win32.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2009 01:56AM by vaguerant.
February 19, 2009 02:15AM
Vader247 was actually porting dosbox. He finished, but all he got was a blackscreen. A few days after that he disappeared from the Wii Homebrew scene without leaving behind his source.

Well, what you said about .exes is true, I was simply looking at them from a modern perspective. Also, I dont think a port of dosbox could run firefox. Perhaps though, a port of firefox itself would work if anyone is up to the challenge of writing it.
February 19, 2009 05:50AM
Yeah, you're right, it wouldn't run Firefox except in the capacity that any other Windows program runs under DOS, which is just to say "This is a Win32 program, go away" and close. I was just being pedantic about EXEs for no good reason, sorry. A Firefox port would be pretty damn impressive, but it would be a monumental task. I've seen video of it (supposedly?) running under Linux on the Wii, but running an OS in the background would probably make for a pretty big performance hit.
February 19, 2009 05:57AM
It doesn't have to be Window's Firefox that is ported, there are multiple versions of Firefox, since there are Linux OS's already for wii perhaps a Linux Firefox would be easier to port?
February 19, 2009 07:51AM
hmm. that sucks.... i was asking mainly because there is a different program outthere called Darkbasic. to do 3d programming and they have freeware demos and source codes and whatnnot ,and i wanted to see if you made an exe of one of those games it would be playable on wii.
although i don't know if that would be possible
February 22, 2009 04:07AM
I never did get WiiDos to work. I got busy with school work and never had a chance to finish learning GX and to get libSDL to work right.
I never really made any major changes to the source code so I didn't release any.

I don't plan on ever finishing WiiDos because I can run it in Wii-Linux.
You can install dosbox simply in xwhiite. Bliight has dosbox included but Bliight takes up a lot of space.
Also Miight which is coming out soon includes dosbox.

Also about porting firefox, iceweasel is included in xwhiite and it is basically firefox 2.0.0.12 (or somewhere around there) recompiled for powerpc linux.
The new kernel allows more ram to be accessed so it is usable and it loads up in about 15 seconds.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login