Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Preloader makes my wii hum...

Posted by Daisyfoofpoof 
Preloader makes my wii hum...
February 18, 2009 11:31PM
Whenever I turn my Wii off (well, standby really), and there's a disc in the slot, it'll hum like it's reading the game. This started when I installed preloader and WiiHome, so I'm not sure which one of those is causing the problem...although I'm assuming it's preloader.
Re: Preloader makes my wii hum...
February 21, 2009 04:33AM
Mine does this as well, its just searching for a disk i guess, if I remember correctly the wii might do that regardless what is installed..
February 22, 2009 09:55AM
Daisyfoofpoof
Whenever I turn my Wii off (well, standby really), and there's a disc in the slot, it'll hum like it's reading the game. This started when I installed preloader and WiiHome, so I'm not sure which one of those is causing the problem...although I'm assuming it's preloader.

It's a known bug in preloader. The only solution for now is as far as I know to disable the stand-by function in the preloader-menu...
February 22, 2009 02:53PM
Or, you know, you could just unplug your wii when your not using it. You'd save energy and not have to listen to that wretched humming.
February 23, 2009 06:07AM
Arikado
Or, you know, you could just unplug your wii when your not using it. You'd save energy and not have to listen to that wretched humming.
We are referring to when it first boots, and preloader is launched/ing.
I unplug mine when im not on it for 2 reasons #1 save power, but the real reason is to prevent an update, just in case!!
February 25, 2009 10:57PM
ninjafish1990
We are referring to when it first boots...
----------
prevent an update...
No, I'm talking about when it's off.
And I don't think they could do anything while it's off, legally. You have to click I accept or whatever don't you? Lol I wouldn't know I haven't updated the normal way in a looooong time.

Arikado
Unplug it

Lol good idea, but the humming's not that bad, I can only hear it up close, and I definitely can't hear it while I'm watching tv. :P
February 26, 2009 04:10PM
Crediar is working on it, see the discussion of the preloader-wiki article ;)
February 26, 2009 09:21PM
Daisyfoofpoof
No, I'm talking about when it's off.
And I don't think they could do anything while it's off, legally. You have to click I accept or whatever don't you? Lol I wouldn't know I haven't updated the normal way in a looooong time.
I have preloader .28 installed and it makes no noise until i boot it, i do unplug it but before I used to and it never hummed on me.
As far as updates technically they can update it when they please, if it is illegal to mod their hardward of software, because it is still "property" of nintendo, even though you purchased it, then they can still do as they please with it, I think its more of a courtesy thing the a necessity.
EDIT
Here is there 3.3 policy

"To ensure that your Wii Console is operating properly and efficiently, we may download updates, patches, upgrades and similar software to your Wii Console. In addition, we may disable unauthorized or illegal software that has been placed on your Wii Console without notifying you where necessary, in order to comply with applicable laws, assist law enforcement, protect us and our customers, and prevent the use and distribution of software obtained through improper channels."

Here is the 3.4
New Policy

"We may without notifying you, download updates, patches, upgrades and similar software to your Wii Console and may disable unauthorized or illegal software placed on your Wii Console to ensure that your Wii Console is operating properly and efficiently, comply with applicable laws, assist law enforcement, protect us and our customers, or prevent the use and distribution of software obtained through improper channels."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2009 08:46AM by ninjafish1990.
April 13, 2009 03:13PM
blah blah paranoia fail.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.