Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do I install GeckoOS as a channel?

Posted by sokaroka 
How do I install GeckoOS as a channel?
March 14, 2009 10:07AM
Well I now have the homebrew channel installed but how do I put GeckoOS as a channel?
Please explain in clear detail.
Re: How do I install GeckoOS as a channel?
March 14, 2009 01:17PM
At the moment, you dont.
March 14, 2009 01:21PM
It currently isn't legal at the moment, I heard some murmur about some of these channels being legal, but it takes great effort to make one legal channel, probably not worth it.
March 14, 2009 01:27PM
Not so much a "great effort". If you figure out how to make one legal channel, you can make millions. ATM, only twiizers have figured out how.
March 14, 2009 02:55PM
Supposedly you can use Wadder legally, if you get permission to use the tools from all the writers of the tools, and you dont use any proprietary tools(without permission, which I doubt Nintendo is going to give you).
March 14, 2009 03:09PM
Even so, you still cant distribute what you make with Wadder. Also, I still havent definitively heard from marcan or bushing wether or not its actually legal like they claim it is. My own limited knowledge on the subject seems to make it appear as though it is legal.
March 14, 2009 03:12PM
He didnt say he wanted to distribute it, he said he wanted to make it for himself.
If the makers of the Wadder program give permission, why couldnt you distribute it?
March 14, 2009 03:53PM
Sorry, I meant you still cant distribute WADs you make with it. However, supposedly, yes you can now download and distribute WADDER legally. But you'd be hard pressed to find the files (online) you need to use WADDER.
March 14, 2009 04:04PM
I was referring to the created wads/channels, why wouldn't you be able to distribute them?

Edit was grammatical

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2009 04:19PM by ninjafish1990.
March 14, 2009 04:11PM
yes, you can use wadder legally

It creates a nice channel at the moment, but you MUST use jpegs, I tried with PNGs and got a banner brick.

Be sure to install preloader first.

also, Arikado is right, you can not distribute the wads.
March 14, 2009 04:48PM
Its illegal to distribute the WADs you make with WADDER because code in their banner is copyrighted by Nintendo. The homebrew channel is legal because it does not use this code. The banner code can be clearly seen (or not seen in the case of the HBC) by opening up the WADs in a hex editor and/or via dissasemblement methods.
March 14, 2009 05:52PM
Thats what I was saying, with the new information, it may not use Nintendo proprietary information.
March 14, 2009 06:17PM
Believe me, it still uses the copyrighted nintendo banner code in the WADs it makes. The whole legal vs illegal debate was really over the fact that WADDER was distributing the code in the download of it. Now WADDER doesnt come with the banner code but instead makes you find it on your own. In conclusion: It still makes WADs with the copyrighted code.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2009 06:17PM by Arikado.
March 14, 2009 09:52PM
the program requires you supply the wad. So it get the banner code from it. There are ways to get a wad out of our own Wii.

so you can not distribute the wad, but the program IS legal.
March 15, 2009 01:13AM
Exactly
April 01, 2009 09:37PM
why don't team twizzers release the banner code they used for HBC?
April 01, 2009 11:47PM
If you had done that would you release it?
After all the work they did just release it, they already released homebrew channel for free what more can you expect?
April 04, 2009 03:15PM
i appreciate what tweezers have done... but wouldn't releasing the code be good for the homebrew community?
April 04, 2009 04:23PM
redondo5
i appreciate what tweezers have done... but wouldn't releasing the code be good for the homebrew community?
Do you really want hundreds of knockoff channels? Look at the illegal Argon channel for example.
April 05, 2009 01:56AM
lol argon was funny stuff!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login