Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pandora

Posted by Xylite 
Pandora
August 19, 2008 06:45PM
As i have no means of doing this, and i am not sure how i would start anywayz, i thought id throw it out to anyone wanting to give it a try.

Any possibility, we might be able to get pandora, as a channel on wii, programmed already, so that it did not take internet connection to play music?
Re: Pandora
August 19, 2008 07:39PM
What is pandora can you give us more information on this?
August 19, 2008 07:56PM
Pandore... that little mix between a handheld an a laptop?
August 19, 2008 08:16PM
Is this some sort of a media player?
August 19, 2008 08:36PM
after searching Google, I think this is what he means [www.pandora.com] it appears to be an online music station, I cannot access it since it is for US residents only.
@ Dykam - Yeah I heard of that, I'm considering getting one cause it is supposed to be brick proof so it will be the ultimate homebrew device. I also think it will have more processing power than the wii which isn't hard since it only has 1 core at 729 mhz and 88mb of ram, my 5 yr old palm handheld has 500mhz and 32mb of ram which is pretty close and the Old xbox is actually the same except for 20mb less of ram, Nintendo really cheaped out with this system.
August 19, 2008 09:04PM
DrMario: I like the pandora :D it is only a little bigger then the DS... Maybe i get one.
August 27, 2008 02:34AM
im talking pandora.com, an online music station, being ported to phones recently, it contains basiclly all music files, and you can narrow your music intreasts down to a few certain songs, or just narrow it to an artists and similar music
August 28, 2008 09:57AM
theres a site like this you can use with out any homebrew flawlessly thru the internet channel I don't remeber what its called though i'll have to get back to you when i remeber
December 09, 2008 06:46PM
Sorry for the bump but I tried accessing Pandora.com the other day through the Internet Channel and just got the "Out of Memory" error described elsewhere in this post.

Pandora.com allows you to set up radio "stations" according to your music preferences. For each station you can specify one or more songs or artists and it will only play similar music (for the most part) on that station. You can play each station individually or "quickmix" to cycle through all of the them at random.
The beauty of it is you just access the website, and it remembers your settings. You only need to log in once to set up your stations and voila!; you'll be getting your kind of music continuously.

At any rate, I've searched the internet and apparently the problem is that the Internet Channel does not have the latest version of the Flash Player, a lack of system memory or both.
This would be a great use of the Wii in your living room since many of us have it connected to a Stereo/Surrond system whereas the PC is usually connected to its own speakers.

I wonder if anybody has heard rumblings about one of the media players considering support for this service. I looked through the list of suggestions for MPlayerWii but did not see it there.

Also, how about regular streaming internet radio websites where you download an m3u file? I tried that on the Internet Channel and it does not work. I'll try tonight with MPlayerWii.
The main driver for me on this one is actually video game music websites.
Check these out and you'll want it too :-)
Mario Radio (click on the first link, "standard stream")
RainWave (click "Tune In" and then "Rainwave" for original music or "OCR Radio" for re-mixes)

Having access to resources like those would turn the Wii into an even more capable entertainment machine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2008 06:48PM by TheManuel.
December 10, 2008 08:14AM
Have you tried last.fm? It's very similar to pandora.com.
December 10, 2008 02:48PM
Thank you for the suggestion.
I will give it a try from the Internet Channel tonight and see if it works.
It might be that this alterantive is already there and I'm missing out...
December 10, 2008 10:36PM
December 10, 2008 10:57PM
Please hold my hand a little further; are you pointing to that applicaiton as a resource for information about how Pandora could be integrated into a Wii Media Player application?
December 11, 2008 04:53AM
I didn't really look into that program, and I'm not a coder. So take it as that, I suppose. I'd just like to see pandora usable on a wii. Hopefully that link is helpful to someone more knowing than I.
December 11, 2008 05:58AM
I installed the app but it's just an interface as far as I can see.
It could probably shed some light as to how to access the service without going throught the home page to someone with the know-how.
I also tried last.fm and could not connect to the stations.
December 11, 2008 08:01PM
Well, the main Pandora site does use a lot of RAM. I still use a seven year-old computer that can barely handle it. It only really works as long as nothing else is open, and I'm not browsing other sites.

BUT, they do have versions for mobile phones and other devices, right? So why not petition them to release an official WiiWare app? I would pay for it, absolutely. It would certainly be worth $5-10.
December 11, 2008 08:09PM
I'd LOVE to see Pandora on Homebrew! When WiiWare was first being talked about, I was hoping someone would make a Pandora WiiWare app...but that seems to have gone in a strictly-game direction. Then when Homebrew started, I though that maybe it would happen....but still nothing. Now, I'm not much of a coder, so I'm really of no use to this, but here's what I DO know....

- Pandora is a Flash application.
- OpenPandora is basically just a container for that Flash app....but it would be a great headstart, giving you a little insight into how the player works.
- The Wii Opera browser can't handle the Pandora Flash app right now (maybe the upcoming browser update will fix that?)
- Any Pandora Homebrew app needs to allow for proxy support, since Pandora is only available in the US. You can listen to it from anywhere, if you use a proxy or something like Tor....so having support for that would rock.
- Last, but unfortunately not least, it'll likely be next to impossible to actually do this - as far as I know, there's no way to listen to Pandora without using their Flash app.....I've looked into this, as getting Pandora on my Wii was a priority for me a while back. Now, I'm pretty sure that the problem with Pandora and the Wii is the version of Flash that comes with Opera. So, as far as I can tell, the only way to do this would be to make a Homebrew Flash player with a better version of Flash...which is likely no small task.

That said, there may be a slight hope....I also know that Pandora offers their service to some phones in the US. Given that, it would seem that there must be some other way of accessing their service, other than through Flash...someone would just have to figure out how to access it (keeping in mind that it's an interactive service - two way...rather than just listening)

And that's all I know.....
December 12, 2008 01:41AM
in addition to pandora, I would like to see South park Studios work on a Wii app...
December 12, 2008 07:44PM
Wow - funny turn of events....I just stumbled upon this:

[internal-tuner.pandora.com]

It's a vista gadget (or rather, where the Vista gadget connects to) for Pandora. It runs a much smaller Flash application than the full blown one.....If I plug this into my PC browser it works...gotta try this on the wii when I get home!! As a bonus, it seems as though they don't have the location based access...I can get into that page without needing to use a proxy! (wonder how long that will last?)
December 12, 2008 07:59PM
Nice catch, the main site rejects me (I'm in Canada) but that little flash gadget works. I just tried it on the Wii browser though, and it just says that it requires Flash 9.0.115.0.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login