Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No apps displayed. Correct path though. (SOLVED)

Posted by lcadwell 
No apps displayed. Correct path though. (SOLVED)
December 19, 2008 03:36PM
3.3e
Australian version.
No gamecube cards, controllers, usb devices or anything.

Hi

Successfully used the twilight patch (European version) and installed the HomeBrew channel. No problems, but like some other people here I can't see any apps displayed. Simply the bubble game, icons at the bottom right and nothing else. Yes I have the correct path of /apps/name_of_app/boot.dol (or .elf I've tried both). No joy.

I have also used 'wiitcpload' and 'sendelf' to try to transfer files with interesting results. Wiitcpload failed to complete sending the file and gave a blank screen on the wii which had to be hard reset. After trying again it said it completed successfully but the Wii showed a core dump error. Several more attempts just resulted in the blank screen on the Wii.

After using sendelf, the program appeared to send and be received correctly. The Wii showed a black screen for a second after successful reception and then restarted the HomeBrew channel with 'Reading SD card' and then displayed nothing but the bubbles again.

I really can't think of anything obvious aside from perhaps trying the hack again with a different SD card, but seeing as it the Homebrew channel worked without a flaw and also I know the card to be reliable (it's used in my camera and filled to capacity often) does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Luke

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2008 01:17PM by lcadwell.
Re: No apps displayed. Correct path though.
December 19, 2008 04:33PM
You shouldn't be able to name apps boot.dol or boot.elf as easily as you appear to have done so. I think your apps may actually be reading boot.dol.dol or boot.elf.dol. Try just reneaming your apps to boot
December 19, 2008 04:41PM
You need the XML description file in the app folders too.
December 19, 2008 05:23PM
whodares
You need the XML description file in the app folders too.

Only boot.dol or (.elf) is needed in HBC beta 9.
Did they change that with the updates?
December 19, 2008 05:28PM
Really? I thought you needed the xml too? I might be wrong. I never tried without the xml and image
December 19, 2008 06:24PM
I have some working without the XML and image...
December 19, 2008 06:29PM
Cool, you learn something new every day :-D
December 19, 2008 07:10PM
The dols/elfs just need to be in a folder inside the apps folder. Other than that, no other files required.
December 20, 2008 02:29AM
Update!

Ok, some partial success! My wireless network was busy downloading when I tried to transfer the files using sendelf. I believe this was the reason some failed. Now, I have successfully ran wii64, tetris, gc-linux and scogger. No joy with these apps appearing on the homebrew bubble page so I'm thinking it really doesn't like the card. Despite the fact it used the card for the twilight hack. Hmmmm, I'm off to buy another card.

Unfortunately I could not get homebrew browser to work though. It starts correctly and says connecting to the server, it finishes updating then gives an exception with a core dump.

I'll keep you updated when I've tried a new card.
December 20, 2008 04:05AM
Thats because the HBB needs an SD card.
December 20, 2008 01:17PM
Yes, it worked fine with a new SD card and all the apps now show on the screen. Thanks to all who replied. Woohoo!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login