Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need assistance with a Day 1 Wii / Freezing Games / Loud Disc Drive / Homebrew'd

Posted by macharborguy 
Okay, I have a day 1 Nintendo Wii (bought it on the first day of release).

About a year ago I noticed that the disc drive began to sound louder when a disc was spinning inside of it. I didn't really think too much of it.

Recently, I tried to hack it and install Homebrew channel. I attempted the Smash Bros trick, but the system stopped reading the disc for no reason. I only played SSBB for the first week or so that it was first released. After that, I had not touched it until yesterday (May 18th). The disc is in perfect condition.

So I gave SSBB to a friend who has an newer model of Wii to test out the disc. Waiting to hear back from him or his son about any success.

I then tried the Bannerbomb method to hack it. That was fully successful, and now I can run the Homebrew Channel as well as many of the apps available for it.

The problem is, I just bought the game Bit.Trip Runner via the Wii ShopChannel, and it keeps crashing at the exact same spot on level 1-2. I cannot find ANY information about anyone else having the issue.

I don't know if the crashing is related to the hack. I would like to completely remove the hack to see if that will clear up the issue.

If that does not fix things, how would I "cover my tracks" just in case Nintendo will take in the Wii to repair it? I don't want the hack to appear when i send it in, mainly so Nintendo's repair department cannot say "Oh look, you hacked your Wii. sorry, but you messed it up, and we won't fix it".

I have tested Bit.Trip Runner on both my SDHC card, my regular SD card, and the internal Wii memory. all crash after a minute in world 1-2.

Basic question: how do I remove any trace of the HackMii / Homebrew install? Will I need to format my Wii storage as well? (most of my games are on an SD card, so the only data i am a bit worried about losing is my WiiFit data.

PS: I have also noticed that many of my Virtual Console games seem to run a little slow when a lot of sprites appear on screen. I was told that it was due to a memory bug of some sort, and that the Wii had to be power cycled, but that never worked for me.

PPS: All I did with the HackMii is install HomeBrew channel, the DVDX app (couldn't figure out how to get it to work, I put in a DVD and it could be read), and the boot2 and IOS installs. I just ran thru and uninstalled all 4 of them, but I am not sure what may be left, what Nintendo may be able to find, and if that will void any possible repairs (i may go with the SSBB repair option and send both the Wii and SSBB)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2010 09:41PM by macharborguy.
macharborguy
The problem is, I just bought the game Bit.Trip Runner via the Wii ShopChannel, and it keeps crashing at the exact same spot on level 1-2. I cannot find ANY information about anyone else having the issue.

I don't know if the crashing is related to the hack. I would like to completely remove the hack to see if that will clear up the issue.
Homebrew can't cause that.

macharborguy
If that does not fix things, how would I "cover my tracks" just in case Nintendo will take in the Wii to repair it? I don't want the hack to appear when i send it in, mainly so Nintendo's repair department cannot say "Oh look, you hacked your Wii. sorry, but you messed it up, and we won't fix it".

I have tested Bit.Trip Runner on both my SDHC card, my regular SD card, and the internal Wii memory. all crash after a minute in world 1-2.

Basic question: how do I remove any trace of the HackMii / Homebrew install? Will I need to format my Wii storage as well? (most of my games are on an SD card, so the only data i am a bit worried about losing is my WiiFit data.
Just uninstall it with Hackmii Installer.
cool, thanks for the info.

Wasn't sure either way if something could have messed up, but ever other game still ran fine. the crash issue with BitTrip was weird, since it happened at the exact same place each time.
Perhaps something went wrong when the game was installed. Try deleting and then redownloading it.
deleted the game from my SD card
downloaded to Wii memory, froze at the same spot (level 1-2, right at the 3rd powerup, no matter if i grab or miss it)

deleted the game from Wii memory
put in different SD card. froze at the same spot (level 1-2, right at the 3rd powerup, no matter if i grab or miss it)

deleted the game from the different SD card
power cycled the Wii AND my modem
switched to my other WiFi network
redownloaded, same issue
Small notice, no need to try to run (official nintendo) games from the SD card, as they get copied to the system memory before run and then run from there. [en.wikipedia.org]
Daid
Small notice, no need to try to run (official nintendo) games from the SD card, as they get copied to the system memory before run and then run from there. [en.wikipedia.org]

Yep, known that since the SD support was added
I did some searching for info on the crashing in BitTrip Runner, and I only found a single post on a forum about games freezing. The post is as follows...

Forum Post
Bit.Trip Runner (WiiWare) is another game that requires NAND dump to run (stuck at the same place as Bit.Trip Core, can't test Void)

Still kind of new to the whole Wii hacking/homebrew scene, but what would this poster specifically mean by doing a NAND dump? I understand that NAND is a form of Flash memory, and the Wikipedia article on the Wii says that the 512MB storage is NAND.

What worries me is that the "Format Wii Internal Memory" option in the Wii settings mentions losing games and potentially losing the Shop Channel games I bought.

How would I go about doing this NAND dump (once I know the specifics of it), and still be able to redownload all of the Wii VC and Wiiware titles I bought?
can't help you with your problem but noticed a few things from your earlier posts that i can help with...

DVDX isn't an app and isn't going to do anything noticeable, it's just something that will allow OTHER things to access DVDs, so you won't see anything with just a DVDX install.

Don't install bootmii as both boot2 and IOS

there are two options only because some people can't install it as boot2... but you can, so just install it as boot2

(there may be some obscure advantages to having it as both but i don't know of any and as far as i know just boot2 is all you need)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login