Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Deleteme-Should I do it or not?

Posted by ninjafish1990 
Deleteme-Should I do it or not?
March 30, 2009 11:53PM
Okay, I was playing with stella, and i backed out of the sdcard and onto the wii itself (the NAND im presuming) and among some if the folders i found
[lost+found]
[old-root]
[usb]
and also
[mnt] which contained 2 folders
[sdcard]
and
[usb]
inside the latter 2 folders and the first 3 i found a file labeled deleteme
Thats me question/ dilemma, what is it and should it or the containing folder be deleted?
Re: Deleteme-Should I do it or not?
March 30, 2009 11:59PM
Erm, Stella doesnt let you browse content stored on the NAND. I guarantee you that you are only browsing through folders on your SD card and that if you open up your SD card in your computer, you will find your listed folders and files.
March 31, 2009 12:01AM
No i can see my sd card, and i can still go back, im not sure if its the NAND, but those are not on my sd card.
March 31, 2009 12:55AM
Alright, I've used stella for a long time. I'm going to fire it up this evening and see if I can recreate this. I'll edit my post later with a full analysis.
March 31, 2009 03:10AM
I have recreated it 3 times when you go to the "up one level" section you can go back one past your sd card. (or at least I can). If you cannot recreate this, I will video record it later tonight.
March 31, 2009 10:14AM
it's seems to be a linux filesystem
what is sure is that emulators, even wii-linux ones, never access to the NAND...
those files are on your SDCARD, maybe they are labelled as "hidden" or "system" files, which is the reason you don't see them under windows

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2009 10:16AM by ekeeke.
March 31, 2009 03:51PM
Just for my curiosity:

with the fuse server and an usb gecko you can access the file system of the wii. it is right?
[wiibrew.org]

Can you use it for a Backup of the NAND? Maybe with savemii?
March 31, 2009 06:19PM
ekeeke
it's seems to be a linux filesystem
what is sure is that emulators, even wii-linux ones, never access to the NAND...
those files are on your SDCARD, maybe they are labelled as "hidden" or "system" files, which is the reason you don't see them under windows
No they are not, sounds like ill be doing a video tonight
I am not an idiot, #1 I'm running linux, #2 with XP I have both hidden and system showing, #3 it is "up one level" form the root, and from there i can go to "sdcard" and it accesses the cards root directory, Ill to a quick video now but i cant guarantee quality. If one isn't on here within the hour I have recorded it, it was garbage and will do it tonight.
March 31, 2009 07:00PM
Ok I have videoed the entire process
here is the link to the video
Stella Up Level
April 01, 2009 07:42AM
ok, this is the wii-linux filesystem, it's completely VIRTUAL and not related to the NAND
when you access the /mnt folders, you can access your PHYSICAL devices (sdcard,usb,...), like on any linux system I guess

this is included with all wii-linux applications and stored in RAM i presume (before, the entire filesystem+distro was stored on the sdcard as a single file xxxx-fs but now everything is loaded from the dol)
Nuvalo would probably explain this better

anyway, this is not a bug, this is how wii-linux works

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2009 07:44AM by ekeeke.
April 01, 2009 04:34PM
So its basically a live "cd" running over top of the Wii's OS with Wii-Linux.
Althought that still doesn't answer my question of what the deleteme files are or whether they should be deleted, i really cant because stella cant delete files (as far as i know) and they aren't actually on the system so they will only effect stella.
April 04, 2009 07:22AM
They're just dummy files which are only needed to make sure that directory gets created. Once you have it set up, you can safely delete them. Hence, "delete me".
April 04, 2009 10:18PM
But is it really worth the time to bother deleting them?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login