Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Playing Gamecube games on NEW (horizontal black) Wii?

Posted by brian8d8 
Playing Gamecube games on NEW (horizontal black) Wii?
December 29, 2011 05:38AM
I would really like to play Smash Bros Melee on my Wii (the new horizontal black version bundled w/ New SMB). This new Wii doesn't support Gamecube discs, but I'm hoping there's still some way to play GC games. Anyone know of a way to do this via Homebrew/emulation/other?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2011 05:39AM by brian8d8.
Re: Playing Gamecube games on NEW (horizontal black) Wii?
December 29, 2011 06:22AM
No there's no way to play Gamecube games on the Wii's without Gamecube ports.
December 29, 2011 06:35AM
Surely the hardware is more than capable enough to emulate its predecessor's games, though. It'd be sweet to be able to just emulate GC games on the Wii and configure a Wii Classic controller for it. Is this a possibility for the future...?
December 29, 2011 09:06AM
No, the Wii is barely able to emulate the PSone. I doubt the Wii could handle emulation of Gamecube games. The only reason Wii's were backwards compatible in the first place is the hardware used. Since the new Wii's lack this hardware (AFAIK) they can't run the games.
Sure emulation could be possible but I don't think it could reach full speed ever.
December 29, 2011 09:25AM
GC emulation will never happen on the Wii. The Wii is only slightly more powerful than the GC to begin with (GC was most powerful console of last generation technically, Wii is least powerful of this generation).
December 29, 2011 08:13PM
SifJar
GC emulation will never happen on the Wii. The Wii is only slightly more powerful than the GC to begin with (GC was most powerful console of last generation technically, Wii is least powerful of this generation).

Well the GC's CPU clocked at 486MHz, GPU at 162MHz, while the Xbox's CPU was 733MHz, and GPU was 233MHz, so I'd say the Xbox was more powerful than the GC as far as last generation goes...

I don't know the specs for the Wii's CPU & GPU, but as the games are more sophisticated, and it's the GC's successor, undoubtedly the Wii has a more powerful CPU and GPU. I guess emulation requires more power than the actual system's hardware you're trying to emulate was capable of.
December 29, 2011 08:52PM
Yes, they are more powerful, but not enough more. Emulation requires about 2-3 times the specs of the original console to be playable.

And clock speed does not define power. [en.wikipedia.org] (Although the xbox was more powerful than the GC, slightly - not by a huge amount though)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2011 08:55PM by SifJar.
December 29, 2011 09:58PM
I don't think people are going to stop asking this question as silly as it may seem. Why would you buy a console that is clearly gimped? then to make matters worst try to emulate something that has the best hardware backward compatibility of all the consoles.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login