Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

On WiiConnect24's shut down.

Posted by MASTER260 
On WiiConnect24's shut down.
April 13, 2013 12:34AM
So, some of you might heard that WiiConnect24 appears to be shutting down soon?

&, well, I've been wondering. You know how when Xbox Live for the Original Xbox shut down, people were able to use custom servers for it?

I was wondering if such a thing would be theoretically possible with WiiConnect24.

-M260
Re: On WiiConnect24's shut down.
April 13, 2013 01:53AM
It's probably possible, however, you would have to modify each game that uses it (as each game runs on it's own basically). I think I should clarify that unlike Xbox live for the original Xbox, WiiConnect24 has no affect on online play in Nintendo Wi-Fi enabled games. WiiConnect24 is only what allows data to be shared between friends such as scores in Mario Kart, or using channels that collect data such as News and Weather Channels. Online play will continue to work in all games that support it if WiiConnect24 services cease. I haven't looked into whether that's true or not so I'm just saying in general.
Wii channel shutdown
April 13, 2013 02:16AM
[www.polygon.com]

Not the Shop Channel, but this sounds like an update. Will we have to back up our Wiis in Bootmii to avoid bricking?
Re: Wii channel shutdown
April 13, 2013 03:03AM
Merged with a recent relevant thread.

GigaG
http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/12/4214686/nintendo-shutting-down-wii-channels-on-june-28
Not the Shop Channel, but this sounds like an update. Will we have to back up our Wiis in Bootmii to avoid bricking?

I don't think it will be an update, the WiiConnect24 functions will probably just stop working. We'll have to wait and see but I don't believe that Nintendo will release a new update to block homebrew
April 13, 2013 02:01PM
I have a feeling it will actually cause issues with a few games, particularly newer games that use the message board friend code instead of game-specific friend codes. There have already been reports of these games not working correctly on WiiUs (since they don't have wc24).
April 14, 2013 04:26AM
bg4545
I think I should clarify that unlike Xbox live for the original Xbox, WiiConnect24 has no affect on online play in Nintendo Wi-Fi enabled games. WiiConnect24 is only what allows data to be shared between friends such as scores in Mario Kart, or using channels that collect data such as News and Weather Channels. Online play will continue to work in all games that support it if WiiConnect24 services cease. I haven't looked into whether that's true or not so I'm just saying in general.
Yeah, I know.
tueidj
I have a feeling it will actually cause issues with a few games, particularly newer games that use the message board friend code instead of game-specific friend codes. There have already been reports of these games not working correctly on WiiUs (since they don't have wc24).
Wait, since when did they make games that use the Message Board FC?
April 14, 2013 08:48AM
MASTER260
Wait, since when did they make games that use the Message Board FC?
Since around the end of 2009, when Nintendo realized everybody hated using different friend codes for every game and gave developers the ability to use the system's friend code/friend list instead. I think Guitar Hero 5 was the first game to make use of it. Removing the ability to send wiiconnect24 messages will make it impossible to register new friends, just like on the wiiu (which doesn't even feature the address book in its system menu)... too bad for those games that tried to be "user friendly".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login