Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BootMii question...

Posted by 0ld8oy 
BootMii question...
April 16, 2009 05:50PM
I'm just looking for confirmation on this but from what I've gathered BootMii can be installed on a virgin 4.0 Wii purchased pre-late 2008 with no extra hardware other than an SD card? I've been reading up on this for a while but everything has been kind of vague regarding installation. I just don't want to get my hopes up for something I won't be able to use.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. The screenshot on the new HackMii update looks spectacular!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2009 05:51PM by 0ld8oy.
Re: BootMii question...
April 16, 2009 06:01PM
Maybe.

It depends mainly of your Wii boot1 version and if a method to run unsigned code is avaiable (wait for Bannerbomb)

(And yeah, that screenshot is so sexy!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2009 06:02PM by DanielHueho.
April 16, 2009 06:32PM
The Wii I am hoping to work with was purchased in early 2007 so I should be fine regarding the boot1 issue.

All of the conflicting info and the long delay with no word or explanation from comex is leaving me (and I'm sure others too) with some doubt regarding Bannerbomb. I also recognize, being a noob myself, that this forum is overrun with impatient noobs begging and groveling for inside information or some sort of release so they can "test" it. I'm sure that can be pretty annoying to the coders. Some of the comments on here remind me of the little kids you see at the store trying to make a scene so their mom will buy them a toy or candy bar or something...

Patience is a virtue...

Thanks for the response by the way :)
April 16, 2009 07:40PM
0ld8oy
... this forum is overrun with impatient noobs begging and groveling for inside information or some sort of release so they can "test" it. I'm sure that can be pretty annoying to the coders. Some of the comments on here remind me of the little kids you see at the store trying to make a scene so their mom will buy them a toy or candy bar or something...

Patience is a virtue...

No doubt there. I'm not a coder(yet) and I'm getting sick of all that spam, it's kind of ridiculous.
April 16, 2009 11:18PM
It seems to me that bootmii is just like preloader but with a background and clickable buttons...

anyone wanna fill me in on how it is way better? :)
April 16, 2009 11:33PM
Would you mind feeling me in on the bootmii as well tried Google it but didn't come up with much.

thanks.
April 16, 2009 11:58PM
DrLucky
It seems to me that bootmii is just like preloader but with a background and clickable buttons...

anyone wanna fill me in on how it is way better? :)

BootMii vs. Preloader [hackmii.com]

The big advantage to BootMii over Preloader is that BootMii will run even if your NAND filesystem is completely hosed. It is very brick-resistant and depends only on boot0 and boot1 -- if you somehow delete your System Menu or its IOS you can still run BootMii and repair the damage.
April 17, 2009 01:01AM
If I delete my system menu and have preloader, then I can still recover too...so bootmii is just one step up in the boot sequence..still not that big a thing.
April 17, 2009 02:41AM
For the people looking for BootMii info, there's a basic rundown on BootMii wiki. Any other info that has been released is on HackMii.

I just didn't see a definitive answer to my question so I posted it here.
April 17, 2009 12:52PM
DrLucky
If I delete my system menu and have preloader, then I can still recover too...so bootmii is just one step up in the boot sequence..still not that big a thing.

Wrong.

Deleting the System Menu title would fully brick your Wii under preloader. You would still be able to launch BootMii in this case.
You could delete all the IOSes and BootMii would work. Preloader would break if you removed the System Menu IOS.

Any update through Nintendo (and some disk based games with newer System Menus) would remove Preloader also. BootMii, however, would have to be specifically targeted by Nintendo, and on systems where it is installed as boot2, the vulnerability is impossible to patch (it's in boot1 which cannot be changed without bricking), so it could be reinstalled. BootMii can also patch out the IOS functions to write to boot2, where it is located.
April 17, 2009 01:10PM
The recent update on Hackmii has got me quite excited about BootMii. With this and the Wii64 beta due soon, my life will be complete. It is worrying that I feel this way about running some homebrew code on a games console, but it cannot be denied.
April 17, 2009 03:20PM
A cool way to understand BootMii: it is almost like a "new OS" for Wii. It replaces, in some way, the IOSes. The project its taking so long, because Twiizers want it to be pretty and useful.

EDIT: [wiibrew.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2009 03:22PM by DanielHueho.
April 19, 2009 03:40AM
So will people be able to run bootmii on a 4.0 "virgin wii" with the bannerbomb exploit?

I haven't been able to find what firmware is needed to run bootmii...sorry for sounding like a noob but i've only been in the wii scene for about a week.

Thanks in advance
April 19, 2009 01:06PM
Yes, if and only if bannerbomb indeed turns out to be an exploit which can launch bootmii's installer.
April 19, 2009 01:13PM
We expect it to be. However, please note that the term "virgin 4.0 Wii" means different things to different people, and we can't make any promises.

(Specifically, I'm alluding to the fact that some people may buy a Wii tomorrow -- a "virgin 4.0 Wii" -- and only be able to install BootMii as a channel instead of as a boot2-replacement. We hope to have that working for the initial release, but if we have trouble with that we may make a release that only supports older Wiis with vulnerable versions of boot1.)
April 19, 2009 04:43PM
Anyone can tell me how to know if my wii have boot1? purchased wii date? serial number? something that can tell me!

Thx!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2009 04:43PM by Darksome.
April 20, 2009 07:53PM
Thank you alainvey and bushing :)

Isn't a Virgin wii a wii that has never been modded with a chip or softmodded with a hack/exploit?

Dang I wish comex was more like bushing, I wish he would keep us up to date with his exploit.

But hey at least he's working on something not like me, just waiting for him to release it. LOL
April 21, 2009 06:22AM
Rogdrik
Dang I wish comex was more like bushing, I wish he would keep us up to date with his exploit.

You can read the IRC-channel, as comex usually posts there (or, at least, used to)
April 21, 2009 07:10AM
I am excited about BootMii

It looks really nice :]
Can't wait to play with it!
April 21, 2009 07:19AM
I want bootmii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2009 07:24AM by WiiMiiWiiMii.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.