Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Flash 9 app

Posted by JustWoody 
Flash 9 app
September 01, 2008 09:54AM
There are many streams, etc. that don't work on the Opera browser, so how about an application that can display/run flash 9.

You would be able to type in a URL and the app would search for any flash within the page/site and be able to display/run them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2008 02:28PM by JustWoody.
Re: Flash 9 app
September 02, 2008 02:30PM
alternatively, it would be very good to have Flash 9 streaming support in one of the Wii media players (GeeXbox, MPlayer, etc)
September 02, 2008 08:02PM
So it would be like the Ocarina thing, but just for the Opera Browser?
September 02, 2008 08:31PM
LOLDSFAN
So it would be like the Ocarina thing, but just for the Opera Browser?

Not sure where Ocarina would fit in to this, I was thinking of a stand alone app or a plugin(?) for one of the media players
September 02, 2008 09:02PM
Well Ocarina makes modifications to games...So maybe that is what it could do for the internet browsers...or never mind...you probably don't get what I'm saying XP
September 02, 2008 10:44PM
last I checked, Ocarina only works for disc games. So, that wouldn't work unless we burned the internet channel to a disk and we all had modded Wiis.
September 02, 2008 10:55PM
Great idea, don't we have a homebrew internet browser yet? You would think that flash 9 would automatically be enabled (especialy in the "official" opera browser).
September 03, 2008 12:38AM
no, we don't have an internet browser yet. We have the homebrew browser, but that is for downloading homebrew directly to your SD card; it doesn't browse the web. If you think about it, all that we need to do would be to write an HTML interpreter and we would essentially have a web browser. Or even better, we can take the source code for firefox's interpreter and use it. Firefox IS open source, after all.
September 03, 2008 02:07AM
Flash 9 will not run since it is not openly distributed to be ported. Flash 7, the Wii's flash player is the newest available for unsupported systems from adobe making it the newest available. If you want to get into disassembly of the PPC for mac version you might be able to port it with lots of work but doubtful.
September 03, 2008 02:55AM
I recall hearing about Flash going open-sourced at some point in the future...

In any case, that is the largest obstacle. If someone really wants to do this, I'd guess you want to port Gnash (GNU Flash player). It's open-sourced, although apparently only complete up to Flash 7, with some 8-9 features. It apparently runs fine with YouTube, so I guess that's a start (albeit no better than Opera, but at least free :P).
September 03, 2008 09:03PM
I guess if you know how Flash creates the .swf you could see what is missing in the code for Flash 7 player too, since .swf is similar to a save file and the player reads the save file.

P.S. I luckily got Opera 3 days before the deadline.
September 03, 2008 11:21PM
Or, we could write an interpreter for the assembly language it's programmed in. Interpreters are the most handy thing when it comes to compatibility problems ^_^
September 10, 2008 04:03AM
Ocarina could be modified to work with channels, but adding support for a new version of Flash that way may be more difficult than porting an existing open-source browser.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login