Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Forwarders and HBC installer

Posted by pood 
Forwarders and HBC installer
April 23, 2009 03:17AM
Just a quick hypothetical question regarding installing HBC on system menu 4.0.
Would it be possible to make a forwarder channel that forwards to the HBC installer? Would that way work? Or i'm guessing those forwarder channels rely on HBC to work
Just a suggestion,
Pood
Re: Forwarders and HBC installer
April 23, 2009 03:53AM
its not crazy but you need a mothod to boot the .dol/.elf

for 3.4 and below its the tp hack. 4.0 is supposed to be using the bannerbomb when its released.
April 23, 2009 04:40AM
So the forwarder still calls on the HBC to run the actual code?

Cheers
April 23, 2009 02:54PM
what the hell is a "forwarder channel"?
April 23, 2009 05:03PM
bushing
what the hell is a "forwarder channel"?

Ive seen them around the net but not going to install them cause i don't want to risk bricking my wii!!
It seems to be a channel that forwards to a boot.dol file on you sd card. Apart from that, dunno anything else about it, sorry!
April 23, 2009 05:22PM
pood
It seems to be a channel that forwards to a boot.dol file on you sd card.

Well, the HBC does exactly that, whith an interactive user interface.

Would it be possible to make a forwarder channel that forwards to the HBC installer?

You would need a way to run any code (an exploit). But if you can already do that, there is no need for an additional "forwarder". It can go directly to the installer.
April 24, 2009 01:53AM
Errrrrr no... Its completely pointless as mentioned by daniel.
April 24, 2009 04:15AM
daniel_c_w
You would need a way to run any code (an exploit). But if you can already do that, there is no need for an additional "forwarder". It can go directly to the installer.

I was thinking of a way to install the forwarder channel, copy to SD card channel, and then use that to load up stuff without HBC from your SD card. thats all, not as a way to totally remove HBC
April 24, 2009 10:59PM
You're missing the point. You might as well have asked:

pood
Would it be possible to make a Homebrew Channel that forwards to the HBC installer? Would that way work?
May 28, 2009 09:21PM
So I've seen these channel forwarders around, but there's zero sensible documentation about them. It seems you need a PHd in Wii to follow all the cryptic 'codewords'.

From what I gather, if you actually manage to install a forwarder then you can load a single app as if it were a channel, directly from the Wii system menu. This would be ideal for me as my Wii has replaced my aging MiniITX Media Centre PC and it would be awesome if I could load MPlayer CE directly from the System Menu. Unfortunately whilst I have managed to find a MCE channel forwarder, the documentation suggests that I need to 'inject' the Wad into my Wii, and I don't appear to have the WiiSyringe attachment for my WiMote! :P
May 29, 2009 01:05AM
This is an awkward issue.

On one hand, we've historically discouraged WAD injection as an approach to homebrew code execution because it's usually wrapped up in warez and because it's possible to brick your Wii if done incorrectly. The "cryptic codewords" are a side effect of people messing around with low-level system utilities that they don't really understand.

On the other hand, we have better system recovery tools (for older Wiis, at least) now, people have been doing that for a long time and run in to most of the landmines, and there's obviously an unmet need.

I won't accuse you of being a bad person for wanting this, but you won't find much help on doing it here. Try Google.
June 02, 2009 07:53PM
I've tried but all I find are typical modern-day websites with news pages, latest update pages, download pages and instructions which assume you know what the app actually does.

No application seems to have a short introduction which says "This app is for..." would be too much like common sense I guess.

Anyway, I'm not to worried. It would be nice to run MPCE from System Menu, but not SO nice that I'm going to trawl hudreds of websites and piece together all the clues. :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login