Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Erasing IOS?

Posted by firebat20 
Erasing IOS?
May 21, 2009 05:49PM
I been testing BootMii as boot2 and everything works great.

I have a problem I know some of my IOS's are corrupt. The problem is I don't know which ones. I have reinstalled the system menu with AnyRegion Changer but that didn't fix the problem so it must be another IOS that wasn't updated.

I know I am probably going overboard here. But I want to erase ALL the IOS on my system and reinstall the system menu with AnyRegion Changer or something that will work.

From what I can figure out I will not be able to do this yet because MINI is still very basic right? Not network support yet.

Backup and restore Nand will not work. Because it will still have the corrupted IOS.

Is there any way of me doing what I want currently?
Re: Erasing IOS?
May 21, 2009 09:19PM
I think all homebrew apps require an IOS, so erasing all IOSes would stop all apps from working.
you could get a nand backup from a freind or something though.
May 22, 2009 01:01AM
Erasing all IOS versions? Now that's a good plan!
While you're are it: Go to some high building and let the Wii drop from at least 100m. That's an equally good idea! :)
May 22, 2009 03:09AM
OK how about. If I leave IOS 16,38,51,60. I know I just recently installed those using WIISCU.

Will that allow me to erase all the other IOS and reinstall everything?
May 22, 2009 03:51AM
Not thinking you get the idea.
icefire
someone post that deleting any IOS is a bad idea, and that they should provide WHY they think this IOS is corrupted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2009 03:54AM by PhoenixTank.
May 22, 2009 02:22PM
as far as I know erasing ALL (erasable) IOS' using anytitledeleter will work without full bricking the wii...but I can't remember if the hbc will still launch apps.

but still NO full brick means that you can at least update your wii normally, which will guarantee having uncorrupted IOS and you do have bootmii installed as boot2, so why not try this out?
May 22, 2009 09:14PM
Sephiroth
as far as I know erasing ALL (erasable) IOS
There are IOS's (besides the BootMii IOS :P) that we can safely erase? o.0
May 22, 2009 10:17PM
yes of course...

i saw a youtube video where somebody erased EVERYTHING besides the sysmenu and just few other things and he could still boot normally.anytitledeleter won't let you delete anything important for the booting process, so as i said above, why not erase everything erasable with anytitledeleter, then update -> alle corrupted IOS' should now be available again and of course not corrupted!

of course don't expect to be able to do a lot of stuff after deleting all IOS, but you will still be able to boot into the menu!

@ DanielHueho:

and no i wasn't referring to cIOS, I really do mean the IOS' that came with the system.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2009 10:20PM by Sephiroth.
May 22, 2009 10:17PM
Arikado
Sephiroth

cIOS? [XP]
May 23, 2009 12:23AM
DanielHueho
Arikado
Sephiroth

cIOS? [XP]
Erm, the joke's on you xD

If, for example, you delete cIOS 60 (the replacement for IOS 60) you also delete IOS 60 because you're emptying the memory address (or in Jesse Liberty's words, "cubbyhole") that holds that IOS (in this case, 60).
May 23, 2009 03:00AM
Well, I was talking about that "really-high-numbered" cIOS, but anyway... =P

I really don't know why people bother with deleting Nintendo IOSes. But if you delete a really old on, like 5 (or was 9?), or a stub, useless one, like 254, maybe it doesn't affect anything, just games that use the IOS (and you can just use Gecko OS to bypass). Still, remembers what PhoenixTank posted:

PhoenixTank
Not thinking you get the idea.
icefire
someone post that deleting any IOS is a bad idea, and that they should provide WHY they think this IOS is corrupted
May 24, 2009 01:22PM
firebat20

I have a problem I know some of my IOS's are corrupt.

Why?
June 03, 2009 04:05PM
bushing
firebat20

Why?

When I first got Mario Party 8. I wasn't paying attention and it requires a system menu upgrade. At first I was like whatever let me play the game. And it started to install. Then I remember I shouldn't have upgrade the system. So I reset the system so it would stop. I believe I did it early enough so there was little damage to the Wii.

But then I start to see werid problems like I cannot backup my NAND with any of the other apps till BOOTMII. The other apps would fail after about 12MB of backup. But I don't even know if the BOOTMII NAND is any good. And I don't plan on testing it out.
June 03, 2009 11:31PM
I would not delete all ios. Figure out what ones the system menu uses and then delete 1 and then install it back. Repeat the process. This way you will be replacing them 1 by 1 with a good ios.
June 04, 2009 12:55AM
firebat20
bushing
firebat20

Why?

When I first got Mario Party 8. I wasn't paying attention and it requires a system menu upgrade. At first I was like whatever let me play the game. And it started to install. Then I remember I shouldn't have upgrade the system. So I reset the system so it would stop. I believe I did it early enough so there was little damage to the Wii.

But then I start to see werid problems like I cannot backup my NAND with any of the other apps till BOOTMII. The other apps would fail after about 12MB of backup. But I don't even know if the BOOTMII NAND is any good. And I don't plan on testing it out.

The BootMii NAND backup is good. I get the same issue, I can't use anything but BootMii either -- they all fail part of the way through. If you REALLY want to, just update online, and all your IOS will be set back to how they were.
June 04, 2009 10:03AM
firebat20
bushing
firebat20

Why?

I doubt your aborted update has anything to do with the problems backing up your NAND. Have you tried [wiibrew.org] ? Other utilities have known bugs that cause them to abort part-way through on some Wiis.

Anyway .... no. Don't delete any of your IOSes until you actually know what is wrong with your Wii. What other "weird problems" are you seeing?
June 04, 2009 09:32PM
bushing

I doubt your aborted update has anything to do with the problems backing up your NAND. Have you tried [wiibrew.org] ? Other utilities have known bugs that cause them to abort part-way through on some Wiis.

Anyway .... no. Don't delete any of your IOSes until you actually know what is wrong with your Wii. What other "weird problems" are you seeing?

Yes I have tried RealWnd, WiiND and NAND Dumper v1.0. they all aborted after about 12mb. BootMii is the only one that made it to 512mb.

The other weirdness I see not very often is disc read error. I would be playing a game and the game will just stop have have a disk error (black screen with white words). Or sometimes when I turn on my wii with the game disc inside, it can't read the disc. the drive spins but see no disc. I usually restart the wii and the the disc out and reinsert. that usually fixes it. These are all retail games, before someone gets the wrong idea.

Most of the homebrew I install works. My Wii works normally when playing games. So the only problems is the nand dumping and the read errors.

I think i will try what Captain_N suggested delete 1 at a time. But what's the best way of getting a good IOS to install? Use NUS Downloader download the IOS and install it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2009 09:49PM by firebat20.
June 05, 2009 01:56AM
firebat20
bushing

Yes I have tried RealWnd, WiiND and NAND Dumper v1.0. they all aborted after about 12mb. BootMii is the only one that made it to 512mb.

The other weirdness I see not very often is disc read error. I would be playing a game and the game will just stop have have a disk error (black screen with white words). Or sometimes when I turn on my wii with the game disc inside, it can't read the disc. the drive spins but see no disc. I usually restart the wii and the the disc out and reinsert. that usually fixes it. These are all retail games, before someone gets the wrong idea.

Most of the homebrew I install works. My Wii works normally when playing games. So the only problems is the nand dumping and the read errors.

I think i will try what Captain_N suggested delete 1 at a time. But what's the best way of getting a good IOS to install? Use NUS Downloader download the IOS and install it?
absolutely none of that is caused by a bad IOS. At all. Removing IOS is just more likely to brick you than anythign else
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login