Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SDHC support in HBB (run from HBC 1.0.3)

Posted by pinksteady 
Re: SDHC support in HBB (run from HBC 1.0.3)
June 02, 2009 10:53PM
teknecal
Can everyone try this: [www.codemii.com]
It has the latest libogc and libfat from SVN from 2 days ago.

I tried it - same error...no such luck.
June 03, 2009 10:49AM
I approached the libfat author about that device rename as soon as i noticed that change. I explained how HBC uses the command line arguments and how a silly rename would break stuff. I asked to either rename the device back or to find a solution that makes libfat compatible with the older device name. All of this happened last year, sadly nothing happened.

This isn't HBC breaking apps, its the libraries of this toolchain itself. I tried to prevent this problem.

And no, HBC can't detect what libfat version a loaded binary uses.
June 08, 2009 02:17PM
Any more on this yet? Any more testing needed?
June 09, 2009 12:53AM
I found the following feature request for HBB SDHC support in the CodeMii development log:
http://dev.codemii.com/issues/show/86

This says that the feature is planned for the next version of the HBB (v.0.3.3). Teknecal, is this accurate and still planned?

From the previous comments by dhewg it does seem that this problem lies solely with the developers of the individual applications that don't work - they need to ensure proper SDHC/libfat compatibility. I guess all we can do is contact the devs to ask them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2009 01:25AM by pinksteady.
June 10, 2009 06:43PM
Kiradien
I also tried FCE Ultra GX 3.0.4, it was the only emulator I knew of linked to that persons name - Only because someone else mentioned it even - It boots into the emulator, just like any other application boots in. After it boots in, if I set the load directory to the SD Card, it is Unable to Detect SD card. Same problem everything else has basically, the only difference is, by default, this application is set to automatically detect the loading source, so it LOOKS like it is working, and goes straight for the DVD Drive.

An interesting point about FCE Ultra GX. Today the SDHC card reader I ordered arrived, and when I opened the homebrew channel through my SDHC card inside the card reader, reading it as an external USB drive, opening FCE Ultra GX worked with 0 issues. Frankly since the site I ordered this from has turned out to be reliable, I ordered a few new things from there including a new Transcend 4GB Class 6 SDHC SD Card, which hopefully will not give me the same problem as the current one.

However... The main point is, FCE Ultra GX which couldnt read the filesystem of the SDHC card before, CAN read it through a USB SDHC card reader, however, since most applications do not have USB drive support AFAIK, I havnt been able to test it elsewhere as of yet. Hopefully this is of some use in solving the issue :(
June 10, 2009 09:02PM
I am having the same issues, from a fresh install of the latest and greatest versions. FCE Utlra does not find the SD card, and I have verified the naming convention. Same with SNES9X. Other applications fail such as HBB with the card incorrect error. Mario War and QuakeWii do a system dump. I have used application versions straight from the author via this website.

Any updates... I will be trying to format the card as FAT16 instead of FAT32 to see if that helps. Not sure why it would, as the Hackmii installer worked fine for HBC and DVDx.
July 02, 2009 06:58PM
I apologize for the bump, but I, too, am having the same issues ever since getting an 8gb SDHC card. So, I have
HBC - 1.0.3 , IOS62 v19.26 and System Menu 4.0 (NTSC/US). I have formatted the card from its default FAT32 to just FAT file systems (full not quick) and put all my stuff I had on a normal SD card (2gb, non-SDHC). I then proceeded to load the HBC with the new card; the channel itself loads just fine, but none of the apps on the new SD card show up. I clicked reload several times in the HBC menu, but to no avail. Do I need to power cycle the wii or what? This is really weird and I thought most, if not all HBC applications supported SDHC......Or am I wrong?
July 28, 2009 12:23AM
Any updates on this issue? I just switched to a Dane-Elec 8GB SDHC yesterday and encountered the same error loading the fat system in HBB 0.3.3. Running off System Menu 4.1U, HBC 1.0.3. Card was formatted as Fat32 in Windows XP.
July 28, 2009 09:25PM
Same exact problem here. Was using a 2gig card with no problems before this.

4 gig patriod class 6 sd, formatted as fat 32
system menu 4.10 us
hbc 1.0.3
ios61 v19.26

items show up in the hbc list, if i go to snes9x:
"Unable to determine auto-load method", "unable to load /"

genesis loads the more descriptive error of:
"Error opening sd:/"

and after I exit back into hbc, can't see the contents of the card, but the system menu can.
July 30, 2009 12:26AM
I tried with another SDHC card, this time with a Panasonic 4GB, same error message.

I'll try emulators next. From gukid's post, it sounds like a more widespread problem than HBB working with SDHC.
July 31, 2009 06:34PM
I'm having issues similar to this... The SDHC card I had been using decided to die on me (Sandisk class2 8gb), so I had to go get a new card. I got a Kingston SDHC class4 8gb, and it worked perfectly fine right after i restored my backup to the card. However, after running a couples of apps and whatnot I'm experiencing the same problems as listed in this topic. I haven't tried Tantric's emus again, but I think they will still work but nothing else will now...
August 01, 2009 01:28AM
Can anyone confirm SDHC is working at all for them in homebrew? 4.0+ problem only?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2009 01:31AM by gukid.
August 01, 2009 05:49PM
My old SDHC worked it was a Sandisk class2 8gb.
August 03, 2009 04:22AM
I'm having the same problem with a 4Gb Kingston SDHC card. HBC 1.03 and IOS61 v19.26 - no emulator works, even the one I wrote (MiiSX) which uses "sd://" to look for files. The same programs on a 2GB SDHC card works without problems.

The problems are the same thing as everyone else: card looks like it works ok on Wii, apps show up, but after loading, nothing can be read from the card. Tried formating the card with every option available, with 2 different cards reader, and still, no luck.
August 04, 2009 04:02AM
Just a question, are we all running preloader?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2009 04:02AM by gukid.
August 04, 2009 06:34AM
I'm running preloader, and I was using crazyintro. They both accepted my card at first, then they suddenly stopped accepting it...
August 04, 2009 04:54PM
I'm not running preloader. I only have HBC installed through the old Twilight hack, and later updated to sysmenu 4.0U.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2009 05:15PM by SLotman.
August 05, 2009 04:17AM
Ah, I tested it myself by removing preloader, reinstalling 4.1u system menu and patched ios60, and still my 4 gig card is not working, but works in the system menu, and I was able to do a bootmii nand backup with it...

THOUGH, my friend and I made a discovery. He is having the same problem with an 8 gig class 6 kingston sd card, but not having any trouble with a 4 gig class 2 lexar brand sd card. So it almost seems like the higher class sd cards are causing this problem, not necessarily SDHC itself.
August 05, 2009 09:42AM
My Sandisk 4GB Class 6 works fine. Same with my 8GB class 2.
August 05, 2009 07:47PM
I'm surprised there isn't more community feedback regarding this issue. Are most people still using 2gig or lower? It seems that 2gig or lower is close to 100% compatibility where as sdhc is hit or miss.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login