Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ok sort of new idea.

Posted by GoldenAlchemist 
Ok sort of new idea.
October 01, 2008 04:48AM
I mentioned in that other topic that there should be a DS emulator for the Wii.

The question is, how possible is this? I heard there was one for PSP so Wii should be doable.

As for interface I explained how it would work in the other topic. Use the Classic Controller or GameCube controller as primary controller, and use the Wiimote to emulate the Stylus and use the A or B button on the Wiimote to emulate touching the screen.

As for display, show one screen at a time fullscreen and alternate by pressing a button or have both onscreen at a smaller size.

As for which emulator to port, I'd recommend No$GBA because its got more compatibility than any DS emulator on the market, but I don't know if its open source. But I guess if it was then there would be plenty of unofficial versions and would be working a lot better.
Re: Ok sort of new idea.
October 01, 2008 12:43PM
no$GBA would be damn hard to port. It's not open source, and it's almost entirely written(If not entirely) in x86 assembly.

You'd have to reverse engineer it. Most likely it'd be easier to write an emulator from scratch.
October 01, 2008 02:12PM
or to find a different and open-source DS emulator, port it and improve it :-)
October 01, 2008 03:01PM
What about the mic?
October 01, 2008 06:06PM
axelpaxel
What about the mic?

Most games don't use the mic so thats a triviality.
October 01, 2008 10:37PM
Games that do use the mic (with the exception of nintendogs and online chat) generally just detect air blowing through it. We could map that to a button. Also there's a little device called WiiSpeak coming out.

The only (not really only, but easiest) way to make a quality emulator is to port a perfectly working one from the pc. It would be a little more work than most emulators, but its more than plausible. Hardest thing would be getting both screens running at once at a normal framerate.
October 01, 2008 11:02PM
DS screens are 256x192 pixels each. That's 256x384 if you were to put them one on top of the other. As the Wii screen is 640x480. So this smaller size means less processing. Also, I would have thought drawing to one single display surface (that you will do on the Wii) will most like be more effecient than the two seperate displays on the DS. I may be wrong in that respect though
October 02, 2008 05:56PM
whodares
Also, I would have thought drawing to one single display surface (that you will do on the Wii) will most like be more effecient than the two seperate displays on the DS. I may be wrong in that respect though

When the DS was released, I read that many games split the screens between the DS' two processors
October 02, 2008 08:32PM
It's been a long time since I looked at DS code, but I'm pretty sure the second processor was limited to certain inputs and audio. In my quick search, I've been unable to find anything to clarify, so I may well be wrong
October 02, 2008 09:00PM
Wait a sec.. doesn't the no$gba have some errors to the process?
October 02, 2008 10:52PM
October 03, 2008 03:47AM
To even make any port of anything even feasible you need to know how the processor, well processes. The more you know about the innards, the better off you are. See, the Wii being on a PPC architecture should be at least easier (not easy but easier) to emulate since the general overall architecture is off the shelf product that is well known. The DS is a more challenging one and my or may not get 100% emulation unless written in assembly because the rule of emulation is to have 5-10 times processing power to even get 50-60% speed.
October 03, 2008 08:27AM
GoldenAlchemist
axelpaxel
What about the mic?

Most games don't use the mic so thats a triviality.

A lot of very big name games do, though, so it'd be needed.

Also, pinball wizard, that rule varies depending on the system. Something with a crapload of chips(Like the Saturn) needs more power than something without(The PS1), provided the systems are overall matches, etc.
October 03, 2008 03:46PM
@pinballWizard: Interesting comment. However, the other chip in the Wii is an ARM processor... Both chips in the DS are ARM processors. ARM aren't exactly new chips, as PDAs have been using them for a while.

@Arikado: Why would the DSi make emulating the DS harder? Emulating the DSi will require more work, but still emulating the DS will still be the same
October 03, 2008 08:13PM
@whodares

It would be harder because supposedly some games for DS(i) will be played by having to use the camera.
October 04, 2008 07:28AM
You know, there are USB cameras and microphones.
October 05, 2008 05:44AM
And you know, if a PSP can emulate the DS I'm pretty sure a Wii will be able to seeing as its a superior system to the PSP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login