Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WIFI fails( was working, now broken)

Posted by johniefish 
WIFI fails( was working, now broken)
July 06, 2009 10:58PM
Hi guys (& gals),
I'm totally noob with my wii 2 weeks old. I had all running perfectly including wifi. (Updated to system menu 4.0, before knowing bout homebrew)

Megatons of fail removed

All was fine at this point and I could access HBC and download stuff...

I then saw that I still couldn't play DVD's, read up a bit and this is where it becomes slightly unclear.....

I tried installing DVDX, but it was unsuccessful, then read up that because I was on Menu 4.0, I had to install hackmii....

I tried this and was unsuccessful once again.

At this stage I saw that my wifi connection is not initialized. Went to settings, all still "looks" the same, but when I go to detect network, it does not pick up anything. (Nothing has changed on the routers side and that still works as normal).

PLEASE help me, I do NOT want to take any further chances and brake it further!!! All help appreciated.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2009 04:55PM by Arikado.
Re: WIFI fails( was working, now broken)
July 06, 2009 11:01PM
Basically everything you stated is not supported here. Please read the rules, and try again. :)
July 06, 2009 11:04PM
Sorry, thought I would get the necesarry help here to fix my WiFi. Can you maybe suggest where I could post for some help?
July 06, 2009 11:10PM
All i meant was that you need to edit out the unnecessary failure from your post. After you do that, maybe you'll get some help.....
July 06, 2009 11:17PM
Sorry WaxyPumpkin,
I'm even more confused now. The reason for the long post is to described what I did to get to my situation which might help resolving it. (Surely this is better than just stating that it's broken).
My problem is the WiFi failure and that is the only problem. Not too sure what you then mean by editing out the unnecessary failure.
July 06, 2009 11:20PM
I doubt any of those reasons is why your wifi doesn't work anymore. You'll get banned if you talk about stuff like that, so i'm suggesting you edit it out before a mod comes and bans you. Does that make sense????
July 06, 2009 11:47PM
@JohnieFish: He is referring to the downgrading and installing WADs. Downgrading is most commonly done to allow piracy to work and BUL3g.wad is used for running backup games. Two things that are not supported here on this forum, as they are border illegal/can be used illegally.

@WaxyPumpkin72: You need to specifically point out problems with posts not just "Basically everything" and "unnecessary failure" that isn't very specific especially to the people who think it is okay to use WADs and downgrade for backup games.
July 06, 2009 11:59PM
Thanks, much clearer now. I only want to add DVD capability and use the homebrew channel. I had a PS2 modded before for backup purposes and to me it is really not worth pirating unless using back-ups of your own games to protect the originals. (I don't steal/pirate as it's against my morals). Sorry about any inconveniences caused. I'm editing my original post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2009 12:03AM by johniefish.
July 07, 2009 12:42AM
So you want to install DVDx? Use the normal Hackmii installer. Install DVDx. Then using this: [wiibrew.org] you should be able to watch DVDs with. Then if I were you I would uninstall CIOS wad and then update to 4.0 by Nintendo. Wifi then might hopefully work.
July 07, 2009 09:15PM
How would he update to 4.0 via Nintendo if his Wi-Fi doesn't work?

And I don't think his cIOS would be causing these problems.
July 07, 2009 11:53PM
Miracles still do happen.

Last night I switched the wii off(completely) determined to give your solution a try tonight. Switched it on tonight and voila...it prompted me if I wanted to update(official). Checked the network settings and all is back to normal. Weird that it would not pick up my router yesterday and today it's fine. (Nothing wrong with the router as I was writing all these messages "wirelessly" from my laptop.

Thanks for all the "friendly" help & suggestions. You guys rock!!!

Where can I read up a bit more about what exactly an CIOS/IOS/WAD is? I went into this quite stupidly...following instructions which I didn't know the meaning of.

Regards,
JohnieFish
July 07, 2009 11:56PM
Glad you solved your problem!! Here's a glossary of terms:

[www.wiibrew.org]

600th post!!! Woot!! :D
July 07, 2009 11:59PM
AHA...Epic Failure!!!!!
I have just lost my Wi-Fi again......and guess what....laptop is switched on. I reckon most probably that the wii does not like sharing :-)....anycase just my penny's worth. Thanks again.
July 08, 2009 12:17AM
Does your router only have 1 input? Is that even possible?? :P
July 08, 2009 12:21AM
Nah, it's a decent router. 4 network points & wi-fi. Currently my cellphone & laptop connects to it no problem. I can only think that the laptop & wii conflicts with each other. Interesting. (I checked the IP addresses(wii & laptop) and they do not conflict)
July 09, 2009 08:55PM
This sometimes happens to me. I can usually fix it by unplugging my wireless router and plugging it back in. Once it is powered up and running again, I am able to connect to Wi-Fi on my Wii.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login