Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Making a DOL/ELF into a WAD file

Posted by strongfan 
Making a DOL/ELF into a WAD file
October 12, 2008 02:18AM
I was wandering... would it be possible for someone to write a PC app that would make an ELF of a DOL into a WAD file?
This would be good for a variety of reasons! There is already WADit, but that's in german and it doesn't even work yet, and probably won't ever. It would allow you to choose a PNG file for the Icon as well as music/sound effects in the form of an mp3 file. How does that sound?
Re: Making a DOL/ELF into a WAD file
October 12, 2008 07:56PM
all currently created channels except for the hbc are illegal because the violate nintendo's (banner) and team twiizer's (nandloader) copyright. we don't support creating them due to that and other reasons, sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2008 07:56PM by svpe.
October 12, 2008 10:59PM
oh... just out of curiosity, why is the HBC exempt? Does it use a different "banner"?
October 13, 2008 09:31AM
That's really interesting. Is there a web URL with information on Nintendo's banner copyright? I had a quick search, but came up empty. I tried "Nintendo banner copyright" and "Nintendo banner patent".
October 13, 2008 02:21PM
strongfan
oh... just out of curiosity, why is the HBC exempt? Does it use a different "banner"?

yes, it's using a banner completely created from scratch using a self-written python toolkit and not one stolen from some nintendo game and then slightly modified using SDK tools which only official developers are allowed to use.
marcan said that he maybe wants to release that toolkit once bootmii is released.
October 13, 2008 02:57PM
svpe
all currently created channels except for the hbc are illegal because the violate nintendo's (banner) and team twiizer's (nandloader) copyright. we don't support creating them due to that and other reasons, sorry.

svpe
yes, it's using a banner completely created from scratch using a self-written python toolkit and not one stolen from some nintendo game

Okay, sorry, but to me these seem contradictory. You say you don't support creating them because of Nintendo's copyright, but then you say that if you made it yourself, from scratch, it would be legal. So are you not able/willing to support people willing to create their own from scratch?

I don't mean like this to sound like you owe us anything, I'm just more confused on what the issues are with banners.

Cheers
October 13, 2008 06:22PM
whodares
svpe

svpe
yes, it's using a banner completely created from scratch using a self-written python toolkit and not one stolen from some nintendo game

Okay, sorry, but to me these seem contradictory. You say you don't support creating them because of Nintendo's copyright, but then you say that if you made it yourself, from scratch, it would be legal. So are you not able/willing to support people willing to create their own from scratch?
Currently not because we don't want to brick Wiis just because there is a minor bug in the toolkit. I already told you that marcan (who reversed all those banner stuff in three weeks and wrote most of the banner tools) considers releasing it once bootmii is done because bricks will be easily fixable then. :-)
October 13, 2008 06:41PM
Okay, thanks :-) I look forward to seeing the kit :-P
July 28, 2009 01:02AM
I wonder if this "kit" will ever be released.....

Edit: Dang, this topic is old....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2009 01:03AM by WaxyPumpkin72.
July 28, 2009 01:37AM
Last I knew, marcan was not interested in releasing it.
July 28, 2009 01:41AM
It would be cool if he did....

lol, then people like icefire wouldn't come along (maybe). :P
July 28, 2009 01:58AM
Funny you mention icefire, because that was how the conversation about the banner tools came about in IRC.
But yes, it would be cool if they were released, just don't hold your breath.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2009 01:58AM by PhoenixTank.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login