Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wiimotes in Cube Mode

Posted by whodares 
Wiimotes in Cube Mode
October 20, 2008 10:16PM
Given that we've now found ways to patch code (well, not me personally, but you know what I mean ;-) credit where credit due) as it loads, do you think it would be possible to patch BC/MIOS to read 4 Wiimotes with Classic controllers attached instead of 4 Cube pads?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2008 10:16PM by whodares.
Re: Wiimotes in Cube Mode
October 21, 2008 02:25AM
do you mean that someone has found ways to edit GC game code?
October 21, 2008 10:28AM
I'm not sure. I don't really know much about the Gamecube side. I suppose if you can patch BC/MIOS as they load, you could install a code patcher that then patches GC code. Theorectically, it'll work.

But no, my idea was simplier (but may be wrong). I was hoping/wishing/assuming that BC/MIOS provided the cube controller input to the GC game. In which case you could possibly intercept it, and send Wiimote signals instead. But thinking about it, the games will probably still have raw access to the game ports.
October 21, 2008 06:33PM
We don't even know how BC switches to compatibility mode and if you are still able to see the "new" hardware registers then.
It's definitely not easy since you would need to write a ohci (USB) and a bluetooth stack and port a wiimote library like wiiuse. And you'd probably need to somehow patch the games to get their pad data using some IPC mechanism.
Another alternative would be to patch GC games so that they can run in Wii mode which is not exactly trivial either.

Good luck :-)
October 21, 2008 06:51PM
Aye, sounds like a lot of work, and if Nintendo are re-releasing some Cube titles in Wii mode anyway, it might not even be worth looking at (depending which games they do)...

Just thought I'd ask the question. I'm still trying to work how the GeckoOS rebooter code works, but that's another topic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login