Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

IOS...A few questions.

Posted by ICEing 
IOS...A few questions.
August 25, 2009 12:33AM
Ive seen a lot of talk about "IOS" and stuff and some talk about "cIOS" or something and that you can change the IOS on your wii and whatnot. Can someone explain what this is and should it be tampered with or no? Because I hear a lot of people doing modifications to the IOS and I want to know whats the use with this. Thaks :)
Re: IOS...A few questions.
August 25, 2009 12:56AM
cIOS is mainly used by pirates. tona's cIOS rev5 clone is legal though. tona's cIOS clone is useful for Wiis with the Oct 23 update, 3.4, or later, mainly installing fake-signed titles. The average person does not need cIOS. Though there are some homebrew that uses cIOS, but these install modified titles.(Mainly sysmenu modifications.)
[url=http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS
Wiibrew IOS[/url]]
IOS is the operating system that runs on the Starlet coprocessor inside the Hollywood package. It provides the services that are used by Wii code to access most of the system devices.
The services/devices accessible via IOS are as follows: disc drive, Ethernet, keyboard, WC24, USB, networking, wireless, Wii front input buttons and LEDs.
August 25, 2009 01:00AM
yellowstar
cIOS is mainly used by pirates. tona's cIOS rev5 clone is legal though. tona's cIOS clone is useful for Wiis with the Oct 23 update, 3.4, or later, mainly installing fake-signed titles. The average person does not need cIOS. Though there are some homebrew that uses cIOS, but these install modified titles.(Mainly sysmenu modifications.)
[url=http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS
Wiibrew IOS[/url]]
IOS is the operating system that runs on the Starlet coprocessor inside the Hollywood package. It provides the services that are used by Wii code to access most of the system devices.
The services/devices accessible via IOS are as follows: disc drive, Ethernet, keyboard, WC24, USB, networking, wireless, Wii front input buttons and LEDs.

If I had system menu 3.2, I heard with that you can basically do anything right? Without using any IOS modifications you can install anything you wish. Unfortunatly I DO have 3.4 so If I got tona's cIOS clone what good would that do for me?
August 25, 2009 03:19AM
Well, I guess you could try Truncha Bug Restorer. Then you could install tona's cIOS.(I never used it though, I installed tona's cIOS before updating to 3.4 because of Wii Sports Resport, then used Dop-IOS to re-enable the fake-sign bug in a few IOS. Note that this was for only installing modified titles I modified myself, not piracy.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2009 05:13AM by yellowstar.
August 25, 2009 03:51AM
And that would let you install fake-signed stuff. (There's not really anything you can do with it that doesn't relate to piracy..)
August 25, 2009 05:19AM
Yes, useless for the average person for legal uses.(Really, it's only useful for devs installing modified titles, which is the only thing I use tona's cIOS for, no piracy.) TBR is basically useless unless you want to, say, install sysmenu patches, but that's not really needed...
August 25, 2009 10:54AM
You dont need cIOS. You can just use TBR then Dop-IOS MOD running on IOS36.

But there are uses for trucha bug beside piracy. preloader for example. and there are other things as well.
August 25, 2009 06:06PM
yellowstar
Yes, useless for the average person for legal uses.(Really, it's only useful for devs installing modified titles, which is the only thing I use tona's cIOS for, no piracy.) TBR is basically useless unless you want to, say, install sysmenu patches, but that's not really needed...
For that reason, TBR isn't supported here. Please refrain from any further discussion about it unless it's unsupported stature is changed.

-Thanks
August 25, 2009 10:26PM
can we talk about CMDVDX34 here arikado?
August 26, 2009 03:26PM
TopGun96
can we talk about CMDVDX34 here arikado?
To quote marcan, "No."
August 26, 2009 05:03PM
Why not? It doesnt do anything illegal does it? (I'm not arguing, just curious as to why its not allowed.)
August 26, 2009 06:27PM
It's pointless on a number of levels.

1)It was never supported by WiiBrew due to it's originally intended purpose

2)It is no longer used for it's originally intended purpose

3)Trucha IOSs are useless for the average user unless said user is a pirate
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login