Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii 4.1 Update via Internet or Disc?

Posted by ICEing 
Wii 4.1 Update via Internet or Disc?
August 25, 2009 12:52AM
First off, I heard 4.1 does not affect anything dealing with the HBC or any applications correct? And stuff like bootmii wont be affected as well? I'm on 3.4 and figure mind as well update to 4.1 since im not on 3.2.

Second I heard updating the WIi via game disc does ACTUALLY remove some stuff (I dont know what) So was wondering If I should update the Wii over WiFi?

Lastly is there a simple way to downgrade to 3.2? Im trying to decide if I should update or downgrade. Ive read some stuff how to downgrade the Wii but I'm REALLY scared I'll mess up and brick my Wii. :(
Re: Wii 4.1 Update via Internet or Disc?
August 25, 2009 01:35AM
Most if not all downgrade guides are total fail. Never use them or you will most likely brick your wii. If I were you I would just upgrade as , homebrew-wise, 3.4-4.1 are the same.
August 25, 2009 01:37AM
unless you're doing illegal stuff, don't worry about any updates from Nintendo
August 25, 2009 03:47AM
TopGun96
Most if not all downgrade guides are total fail. Never use them or you will most likely brick your wii. If I were you I would just upgrade as , homebrew-wise, 3.4-4.1 are the same.
That's not necessarily true.. If you know what you're doing, downgrading is easy.. (But I'd still advise against it.)

You should update via WiFi (because no disc updates go past 3.4 as of now). Disc updates do not do anything different of a regular update except for WiFi downloading the update from Nintendo's severs
August 25, 2009 10:57AM
Downgrading IS easy, but totally pointless, and depending on the Wii, could actually brick the Wii. There is nothing that can be done on 3.2 that cant be done on 4.1. On 4.1, just run TBR, then use dop-IOS MOD running on IOS36 to install trucha bug in the other IOSes.
August 25, 2009 02:55PM
Thats what i meant bg4545 and Sif Jar. I was stating that it isnt exactly hard but complicated (unless you know what you are doing) I also agree that it is pointless
August 25, 2009 05:52PM
ICEing
Second I heard updating the WIi via game disc does ACTUALLY remove some stuff (I dont know what) So was wondering If I should update the Wii over WiFi?
Horse shit.

AFAIK, there isn't a single disc on the market with an update higher than 3.4 (even Wii Sports Resort contains 3.4)

In other words, your only option is to update via WiFi. And no, it won't affect any of your installed homebrew.
August 25, 2009 10:08PM
Why and how often do they put updates on the discs?
August 25, 2009 10:25PM
They give disc updates for those without internet on their wii's
August 25, 2009 10:44PM
They put the updates on the discs so that people have to update, and therefore remove exploits. Also, new games sometimes need the features of new IOSes, therefore need to install them to work.
August 25, 2009 10:46PM
SifJar
They put the updates on the discs so that people have to update, and therefore remove exploits. Also, new games sometimes need the features of new IOSes, therefore need to install them to work.

That too. :)
August 25, 2009 10:46PM
SifJar
However, you can just use Gecko OS to get the IOS updaes or get them through dop-IOS MOD
August 25, 2009 10:58PM
Yes, and that will prevent you needing to update. However, I recommend having 4.0 or 4.1 installed, and then you dont need to worry about disc updates.
August 25, 2009 11:19PM
Thanks i updated to 4.1 cause in my new topic, it didnt read a specific game. It still dosent work so I have to send it in to Nintendo for repairs :( Which they will remove my homebrew channel :(
August 25, 2009 11:27PM
Dont troll other topics, and read my response in your topic.
August 26, 2009 01:43AM
How do you get updates without screwing up the wii. Somebody was talking about Gecko, but i'm not entirely sure of how that works. I have Gecko and I hear people talking about how much stuff you can do with it, but can you update via Gecko without losing homebrew?
August 26, 2009 12:55PM
No update has ever removed homebrew. Preiod. The reason people say to update with Gecko OS is that it doesnt update everything, just the IOS the game uses. Which is fine. Really, no update ISNT fine, but if you want to be safe use Gecko OS. This stops you having to update the System Menu, just installs a new IOS if the game runs on it. Otherwise, it'll just boot the game. And once the new IOS is installed, you can launch the game through the disc channel without it asking you to update.
August 28, 2009 01:21AM
SifJar
Yes, and that will prevent you needing to update. However, I recommend having 4.0 or 4.1 installed, and then you dont need to worry about disc updates.

my wii is 4.0U and when i put the wii music disc it says i have to do an update so i have to launch it with a disc launcher app (forgot the name) what exactly will the game update???
August 28, 2009 04:35AM
It must just be an IOS install. Wii Music was released between the release dates of sysmenu 3.3 and the Oct 23 update.(And 3.4.)(Gecko OS installs the IOS a game uses from the disc, if it's not already installed.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2009 04:36AM by yellowstar.
August 28, 2009 06:08AM
umm i softmodded my wii to use themes is that why it asks for an update i think i installed trucha bugged ios's
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login