Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mega Merged Oct.23 Update Thread

Posted by bushing 
Re: Latest Wii Update 10/23/08
October 27, 2008 12:46AM
DrMario
lizard81288
but i want to get MM9, so i will have to do an update correct?(the wii shop update)
If your using muzer's/tona's IOS51/Shop update, then you can update whenever with HBC beta 8 or 9.
JUST DO NOT USE THE WII SYSTEM UPDATE!
I think that's what Tona thought you meant when you said update.

it was, ok so use tona's IOS stuff, then i can buy MM9 without having to update, then update the HBC?
October 27, 2008 01:00AM
lizard81288
DrMario
lizard81288
but i want to get MM9, so i will have to do an update correct?(the wii shop update)
If your using muzer's/tona's IOS51/Shop update, then you can update whenever with HBC beta 8 or 9.
JUST DO NOT USE THE WII SYSTEM UPDATE!
I think that's what Tona thought you meant when you said update.

it was, ok so use tona's IOS stuff, then i can buy MM9 without having to update, then update the HBC?
yep
October 27, 2008 07:17PM
i have not updated my wii and i have hbc 9 and tona's shop installer installed, but when i go to the shop channel i get a message saying to update. to i use the system updated or not? i got errors the 1st few times i tried to install tona's app, but it when through and look like it installed right, why i can not use the shop channel. i am kind of at a lost as to what to do next. please help!

sorry for the dumb noob question, but i am at a loss

thanx for the help!!
October 27, 2008 07:25PM
can I downgrade on this verion(3.3 23/10)?

and...with the beta9 hbc, I need to install the IOS37?or don't matter, simply don't work?
October 27, 2008 07:31PM
i can't even get tona's to install correctly, i get

net_init failed -116 need a network to download ISO

is the network a wi-fi connection or what?
October 27, 2008 09:31PM
It worked perfectly for me (I used Muzer's and a wired connection)
Just wondering, if something happened where I needed the patched IOS51, could I just install tona's over it and will tona's method of patching work for pretty much all future IOS updates as long and Nintendo doesn't change anything major.
So lets say Nintendo adds directly launching channels off the sd card to their system menu, i could update to that IOS using patchmii to get that feature and still have the same exploits and 3.2U?
October 27, 2008 10:06PM
(I used Muzer's and a [b
wired connection[/b])]
so i need an internet to get tona's to install correctly?
October 27, 2008 10:33PM
lizard81288
(I used Muzer's and a [b
wired connection[/b])]
yeah because tona's and muzers download the ios directly from nintendo's servers and patch it from there, if you don't have internet on your wii, I believe you can find something with patchmii or a cIOS or something (can't remember) where you can download the IOS and install it from your SD card, only problem is that I think it is illegal to distribute that since it's Nintendo's code and there is no way of knowing if someone tampered with it.

edit: Also, just though I'd let you know, yossi wrote a script that you can use to quickly convert all your .elfs to .dols. Most work but some apps need the authors to actually update them. [www.codemii.com] [wiibrew.org]
Also you don't need devkitpro installed to run this script!

edit:some apps that don't work with HBC beta 9 and need author to update are; kobo dl, Wii-Tac-Toe(already dol but still needs update, I wonder if it is really an elf with the dol extension?)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2008 01:19AM by DrMario.
October 28, 2008 12:11AM
DrMario
lizard81288
(I used Muzer's and a [b
wired connection[/b])]
yeah because tona's and muzers download the ios directly from nintendo's servers and patch it from there, if you don't have internet on your wii, I believe you can find something with patchmii or a cIOS or something (can't remember) where you can download the IOS and install it from your SD card, only problem is that I think it is illegal to distribute that since it's Nintendo's code and there is no way of knowing if someone tampered with it.

edit: Also, just though I'd let you know, yossi wrote a script that you can use to quickly convert all your .elfs to .dols. Most work but some apps need the authors to actually update them. [www.codemii.com] [wiibrew.org]
Also you don't need devkitpro installed to run this script!

edit:some apps that don't work with HBC beta 9 and need author to update are; kobo dl, Wii-Tac-Toe(already dol but still needs update, I wonder if it is really an elf with the dol extension?) and Majong works but doesn't save language after quitting.

just to make sure, i need an internet connection to get those ios, correct?
October 28, 2008 01:20AM
lizard81288
just to make sure, i need an internet connection to get those ios, correct?
yep
October 28, 2008 02:36AM
please, answer 1 thing

I ahead install the version by nintendo normal update, can I downgrade with this?

pleaseee *-*
October 28, 2008 07:38AM
lizard81288
HyperHacker
That's what I've read everywhere. It won't affect anything you already have installed, but you won't be able to install anything new, and this only applies to the NAND. (You can continue to add homebrew to your SD card and run it using the HBC.)

what do you mean anything new?
also i'm at 3.2 ,so if i buy anything, it will update to 3.3, then do the other update, so is the HBC safe?
if i upgrade from 3.2 to 3.3 everything will stay the same, or do i have to copy the HBC to an SD card or what?
You won't be able to install any more homebrew (or hacked) channels, WADs, or IOSes. You can still use the ones you already have and add new apps to HBC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2008 07:38AM by HyperHacker.
October 28, 2008 09:14PM
As far as going back to beta 8 from beta9, would you have to run the twilight hack again? if you do wii system update first, would you be able to do the twilight hack (and then install hb apps)?
October 28, 2008 11:17PM
DrMario
edit:some apps that don't work with HBC beta 9 and need author to update are; kobo dl, Wii-Tac-Toe(already dol but still needs update, I wonder if it is really an elf with the dol extension?)
I checked, kobo dl works as an elf (probably the only proper elf out there) and Wii-Tac-Toe is actually a elf renamed as a dol so you have to rename it back to .elf, run the elf to dol script and it works.

@lbrewii - Why would you want to downgrade the HBC now that everything works with that simple elf-dol script made by Yossi?
If you still want beta 8, I'm not sure but run the beta 8 installer any way you want (either TP hack or from the newer HBC)
Read the wiki on what works and doesn't for upgrading your wii, there is no reason to, nothing has changed except Nintendo tries to block homebrew and there are completely safe work arounds such as the IOS 51 and shop installer and menu loader for when discs start getting bundled with the update.
I just want to confirm a few things before updating my Wii...
October 27, 2008 01:28AM
I have a few questions about updating my wii...

Will the homebrew channel (beta9, IOS36) and DVDX stay installed?
Will I be able to install future updates for the homebrew channel?
Will my homebrew apps still work? (aside from WAD installers of course)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2008 01:29AM by pimpsahoy.
Re: I just want to confirm a few things before updating my Wii...
October 27, 2008 01:58AM
Yes.
Probably not.
Mostly.

BUT DO NOT UPDATE YOUR WII JUST USE TONA's IOS51 AND NEW SHOP CHANNEL INSTALLER (and use GeckoOS to run new games without updating)!!!!!
October 27, 2008 02:05AM
icefire
Yes.
Probably not.
Mostly.

BUT DO NOT UPDATE YOUR WII JUST USE TONA's IOS51 AND NEW SHOP CHANNEL INSTALLER (and use GeckoOS to run new games without updating)!!!!!
Gecko OS? Does it disable updates by default because that isn't documented anywhere, I know you can with Menu Loader and Starfall (unsafe) but there will probably (hopefully) be something along the lines of an updated menuloader/patchmii/bootmii feature that can disable update checks on discs permanently that is safer/better than starfall.
October 27, 2008 08:47AM
DrMario
Gecko OS? Does it disable updates by default because that isn't documented anywhere,

It doesn't disable updates.

Basically, the disc channel works like this-

1. Disc is inserted
2. The Update partition is read, and checked against your current system version
3. If you are out of date, when you start the disc up, it will install all the system files, and return to the system menu
4. If you are up to date, it will just launch the Game partition

Basically, GeckoOS doesn't do steps 2 and 3. It literally checks the disc inserted, gets the Game partition and boots it up
October 27, 2008 06:30PM
pimpsahoy
Will the homebrew channel (beta9, IOS36) and DVDX stay installed?
Will I be able to install future updates for the homebrew channel?
Will my homebrew apps still work? (aside from WAD installers of course)
Yes
Yes
Mostly. (More hackish apps will not work--like mine >.>)

But, as icefire said, you have nothing to gain from doing a full update--why do it? Just do the shop update via this installer, and skip the rest of the update.
October 29, 2008 01:54AM
OMG OMG a real wii developer noticed that I exist OMG OMG :D
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login