Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is it possible to change the Wii menu BGM?

Posted by ICEing 
Is it possible to change the Wii menu BGM?
September 24, 2009 03:52AM
Just curious about this. I want a custom made one.

Also on a side note...exactly where do you get .mod files for the Hombrew Browser loop.mod?
Re: Is it possible to change the Wii menu BGM?
September 24, 2009 03:57AM
Well we can turn it off with preloader or StartPatch... I guess it would be possible to install a music file where the original system menu BGM file is located. (someone correct me of I am wrong)
September 24, 2009 04:24AM
yeah changing the bgm would be cool
September 24, 2009 07:07AM
as cool as it would be, I have a feeling it would be illegal, since it would involve modifying Ninty's files. if it was done with say MyMenuify, I think it'd be alright though
September 24, 2009 02:30PM
Actually it wouldn't be illegal if you did it like I suggested. (I don't think it would)
Just put the music you want in the NAND files where the stock one is. (then delete the old one)

But honestly, how long do you spend in the sytem menu anyways?
September 24, 2009 08:00PM
Theoretically, I guess someone could make a homebrew app which takes a music file from the SD card and copies it to the correct location in NAND, but it'd probably have to be encoded in a certain way, and writing said app would probably be quite hard. As said above, you probably aren't in System Menu for that long anyway, it shouldn't be much of an issue IMO.
September 25, 2009 12:07AM
Ah ok I see. Hopefully someone creates a program for it :)

And anyone got an answer to my second question? Say if I download a song (Lets say a Linkin Park song) as a mp3, how do I convert it to a .mod file? change the extension? Like I have a song right now on my desktop its a .m3u file. When I changed it to loop.mod and put it in the apps folder and enabled "backround music" in the settings option on the Homebrew Browser I got a code dump :(

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2009 12:49AM by ICEing.
September 25, 2009 01:10AM
I personally use this (but i use the mac version)

It will only let you convert files for free if they are 500k or less though.... (i bought it because it works like a charm)
September 25, 2009 09:24PM
ICEing
And anyone got an answer to my second question? Say if I download a song (Lets say a Linkin Park song) as a mp3, how do I convert it to a .mod file? change the extension? Like I have a song right now on my desktop its a .m3u file. When I changed it to loop.mod and put it in the apps folder and enabled "backround music" in the settings option on the Homebrew Browser I got a code dump :(

You can't convert files simply by renaming the extension, that's like buying a Volvo, slapping a Ferrari sticker on it, and expecting it to transform into a sports car. You need to use a tool to convert it from one format to another. Your .m3u file isn't even an audio file, it's a playlist - it's nothing more than a specially formatted text file containing filenames. Open it up in notepad and you'll see a list of files.

As for converting it, that's going to be difficult. Mod files are not like MP3 files; they're kind of like MIDI files with the sound samples included. It's easy to convert a .mod to a .mp3, but not the other way around. I suppose it would be theoretically possible to kludge something together, but I know of no tool capable of doing so. It would be best to find something composed as a .mod to begin with. The Mod Archive is good place to find them. Note that The Mod Archive also hosts files similar to the .mod format, such as .it and .s3m; I don't know if the Homebrew Browser supports these formats, but it seems unlikely to be - just stick with .mod files unless you feel like experimenting.

BTW, foobar2000 is a great media player that also easily converts between FLAC, MP3, etc. You'll need the DUMB Module Decoder to play or convert .mod files. It doesn't come in a Mac version, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2009 09:31PM by BitLooter.
September 25, 2009 11:12PM
BitLooter
ICEing

You can't convert files simply by renaming the extension, that's like buying a Volvo, slapping a Ferrari sticker on it, and expecting it to transform into a sports car. You need to use a tool to convert it from one format to another. Your .m3u file isn't even an audio file, it's a playlist - it's nothing more than a specially formatted text file containing filenames. Open it up in notepad and you'll see a list of files.

As for converting it, that's going to be difficult. Mod files are not like MP3 files; they're kind of like MIDI files with the sound samples included. It's easy to convert a .mod to a .mp3, but not the other way around. I suppose it would be theoretically possible to kludge something together, but I know of no tool capable of doing so. It would be best to find something composed as a .mod to begin with. The Mod Archive is good place to find them. Note that The Mod Archive also hosts files similar to the .mod format, such as .it and .s3m; I don't know if the Homebrew Browser supports these formats, but it seems unlikely to be - just stick with .mod files unless you feel like experimenting.

BTW, foobar2000 is a great media player that also easily converts between FLAC, MP3, etc. You'll need the DUMB Module Decoder to play or convert .mod files. It doesn't come in a Mac version, though.

Oh I see. I thought renaming the etension would work since it works with pictures as well. Thanks though Ima take a glance at the MOD archive and if I cant find anything I'll take a look at foobar2000
September 25, 2009 11:36PM
ICEing

Oh I see. I thought renaming the etension would work since it works with pictures as well. Thanks though Ima take a glance at the MOD archive and if I cant find anything I'll take a look at foobar2000

Renaming doesnt work with pictures. Take a jpeg, rename it a png, it will still be a jpeg, not a png. Its just that most apps that can open pngs can also open jpegs, and they can work out its really a jpeg, so open it as a jpeg.

EDIT: Removed unnessecary quote.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2009 11:37PM by SifJar.
September 26, 2009 09:28AM
I use SUPER to encode all my files. It can convert pretty much anything to pretty much anything else.I use it mainly for Moonshell and getting MP3s from Youtube.
September 26, 2009 09:02PM
metroid_maniac
getting MP3s from Youtube.

yuck, such horrible sound quality
September 26, 2009 09:03PM
cactusjack901
metroid_maniac
getting MP3s from Youtube.

yuck, such horrible sound quality
And its illegal to-boot! :P

(I bet nobody here knows what "to-boot" means! lol)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2009 09:04PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login