Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

-- Wii System Update 4.2 Mega Topic --

Posted by Arikado 
Re: homebrew on 4.2? yes you can
September 29, 2009 10:54PM
i have gecko 1.9.2 and i only use it for SD cheats. (I immediately took my SD card out when i learned about this.)
Will it still work on 4.2 if i update?
(after i get an update to the HackMii installer.)
Re: -- Wii System Update 4.2 Mega Topic -- DO NOT UPDATE RIGHT NOW!!!
September 29, 2009 11:04PM
I have not read a single in post in this topic at time of writing. I am too busy - sorry.

Instead, I've read all of the currently available information and talked to some people so here is my obligatory summary:

Bannerbomb: No longer works ATM. This may be fixable. In the meantime, use Smashstack or Indiana PWns instead.

Homebrew Channel: Is deleted if you update. Can no longer be installed. If I correctly understand why this is, this will take less than 2 seconds to fix.

DVDX: Ditto Homebrew Channel

BootMii: BootMii (as either an IOS or boot2) is deleted and can not be reinstalled. The IOS version should be very simple to fix. This may mean the end for the boot2 install though...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 11:11PM by Arikado.
September 29, 2009 11:07PM
Arikado: BootMii as boot2 is overwritten by the boot2 update included in the update. Check the wiimpersonator/wiimposter logs to see for yourself that boot2 is updated.

As for HBC and DVDx, I believe just changing the title ID shall sufice. A new HackMii Installer could probably be pushed iut with 24hrs with support for latest IOS and with different title IDs. In the mean time, preloader 0.30 and a hacks.ini can do the trick, but you need trucha bug.
to update or not to update
September 29, 2009 08:20PM
downloaded wii64 off of home-brew channel but the button function doesn't work

there is more info on that on the Google code page for wii64

is there any chance that updating through Nintendo (though strongly unrecommended)

could fix this problem if i reinstall with smash stacks??
Re: to update or not to update
September 29, 2009 08:32PM
DONT UPDATE THROUGH NINTENDO. The latest update (released in the last 24 hours) kills most homebrew, including HBC, HackMii Installer and bannerbomb. Wii64 is not officially released properly yet. There was an early beta long ago, which is what you have, but a proper version will be out soon. in the meantime, dont update you wii for anything.
September 29, 2009 08:41PM
thanks, i appreciate it
September 29, 2009 08:53PM
Updating through Nintendo rarely, if never, fixes any problems with homebrew.

It's probably because the coder has compiled it using outdated libraries or there is simply a bug in the software.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 08:54PM by Matoking.
September 29, 2009 09:04PM
Matoking
Updating through Nintendo rarely, if never, fixes any problems with homebrew.

It's probably because the coder has compiled it using outdated libraries or there is simply a bug in the software.

...or because that was a very early beta, and the software is only going to be properly released in a week or two, as I said above.
September 29, 2009 11:10PM
SifJar
Arikado: BootMii as boot2 is overwritten by the boot2 update included in the update. Check the wiimpersonator/wiimposter logs to see for yourself that boot2 is updated.
Thanks.

So it can no longer be reinstalled then?
September 29, 2009 11:24PM
I'd say it probably can, but HackMii Installer doesn't work right now. Probably because I believe it contains a list of IOS which it checks off against IOS installed on your Wii, and the new ones arent in the list, so it spazs out. If you just install IOS70 and the System Menu as WADs, my guess is that HackMii Installer will use some of the old IOS in your wii, and allow installation of everything, including HBC and DVDx. However, HBC and DVDx will be deleted at reboot (system menu always checks for them and deletes them). But BootMii (either boot2 or IOS) should be OK, but I haven't tried it personally, and haven't found anyone else who has either. Although, if you only installed IOS70 and the System Menu, BootMii wouln't be overwritten.

Also, I can confirm that HBC with a different title ID works - someone at GBAFail made a WAD, changed the title ID from HAXX to LOVE, and installed it on 4.2 (He only installed 4.2 and IOS70 as WADs, keeping some trucha IOS to install the WAD), and it worked. However, when trying to return to loader from homebrew, it would crash, perhaps because it was trying to load HAXX. I'm sure Twiizers can fix that though, clever people that they are.
September 29, 2009 11:27PM
Couldn't boot2 just be reinstalled on a boot2v4 system? After all, the bug is in boot1 which Ninty can't change...

Please tell me I am right :)
September 30, 2009 12:01AM
I didn't update, I learned my lesson from last time
lol
New System Update removes homebrew channel!
September 29, 2009 11:50PM
Do not install 4.2! It uninstalls the homebrew channel if you used the bannerbomb hack!
Re: New System Update removes homebrew channel!
September 29, 2009 11:53PM
Dude..... there is a major 4.2 topic in this same section!!!!!!
September 29, 2009 11:59PM
Please delete this topic mods.
September 30, 2009 01:48AM
im on 4.2 with homebrew & custom ios and backup launcher.
just thought i'd mention it like
September 30, 2009 02:00AM
What, did you just install a system menu WAD and an IOS 70?

(oh, and we dont support backups here.....)
September 30, 2009 02:21AM
no updated via nintendo and installed hombrew via indiana jones exploit
September 30, 2009 02:25AM
the hackmii installer doesnt work though.... unless you have a very special wii :P
September 30, 2009 02:38AM
no i didnt use hackmii installer, i used one from wii h**ks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login