Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

-- Wii System Update 4.2 Mega Topic --

Posted by Arikado 
Re: -- Wii System Update 4.2 Mega Topic -- DO NOT UPDATE RIGHT NOW!!!
October 03, 2009 11:05PM
TopGun96
Can they even prevent SmashStack or Indiana Pwns from working?
SmashStack, no because it is part of the already released game. They could update newer copies of the game but it's useless for everyone who already has the game. Indiana Pwns they can block like the Twilight Hack I believe.
October 03, 2009 11:33PM
bg4545
TopGun96
Can they even prevent SmashStack or Indiana Pwns from working?
SmashStack, no because it is part of the already released game. They could update newer copies of the game but it's useless for everyone who already has the game. Indiana Pwns they can block like the Twilight Hack I believe.

But I think I read they need permission from the developer/publisher before they can start work on a block or something like that, so it should take a little longer than it would for a first party game. But they now have experience of blocking savegame exploits from the days of twilight hack, so they may fix it quicker.
October 03, 2009 11:37PM
I want to update my Wii and I don''t care if the homebrew channel is deleted temporarily(there's a fix on the wiki for it). But I heard the update bricks some modded Wiis. Does HBC count? Is it safe to update?
October 04, 2009 12:42AM
Don't update to 4.2. Ever. There are absolutely NO advantages, and you also might brick. The update to 4.2 has bricked people who haven't even modded their Wiis.
October 04, 2009 01:57AM
3DModelerMan
I want to update my Wii and I don''t care if the homebrew channel is deleted temporarily(there's a fix on the wiki for it). But I heard the update bricks some modded Wiis. Does HBC count? Is it safe to update?

Read this thread and you will know.
October 04, 2009 04:31AM
Yeah but I want to be able to play new games and access the Wii shop channel.
October 04, 2009 04:33AM
3DModelerMan
You don't have to update to be able to play new games and access the shop.

Use this app to access the shop channel, and use Gecko OS to bypass the disc update.
October 04, 2009 01:14PM
3DModelerMan

There are no new games. The latest update found on any disc is 3.4 afaik. And just use WiiSCU to update the Shop Channel.
October 04, 2009 03:04PM
3DModelerMan
But I heard the update bricks some modded Wiis.
This update updates boot2. It can brick any Wii, modified or not.
October 06, 2009 10:21PM
I must have been lucky because I updated the homebrew channel then updated my wii and mine's just fine.
October 06, 2009 10:30PM
Her0icPlane
I must have been lucky because I updated the homebrew channel then updated my wii and mine's just fine.

the latest HBC works fine on 4.2. There is no such thing as "luck" when it comes to computers (wii is basically a computer). They are programmed to do something, and they will do it. Not they'll probably do it, they WILL. You were not lucky, Team Twiizers updated HBC to work on 4.2.
October 09, 2009 01:54AM
So is it okay to update now? I haven't updated the HBC yet, but if it is okay to update, I should update the HBC and then the Wii System Menu, correct?
October 09, 2009 07:10AM
No, its not 100% safe to update, you can brick because the boot2 update code is buggy:
Hackmii blog
The [boot 2 update] code [from Ninty] is so buggy that we decided to write our own for the HackMii installer.
October 09, 2009 06:36PM
You CAN update, but I would advise against it. The boot2 update code is buggy, and therefore you MAY brick. Without homebrew, Ninty will fix it free, in or out of warranty. But if you have homebrew, they'll tell you it caused it (which is a lie) and charge you to fix it.

If you must update, I'd advise using dop-IOS MOD and updating all IOS, making sure to install IOS70, update all channels and finally install the 4.2 System Menu for your region.
October 10, 2009 12:27AM
SifJar
If you must update, I'd advise using dop-IOS MOD and updating all IOS, making sure to install IOS70, update all channels and finally install the 4.2 System Menu for your region.
I would update to the HackMii Installer 0.5 versions of everything and have a BootMii boot2 NAND Backup ready before doing any of this though...
October 10, 2009 10:54AM
Arikado
SifJar
I would update to the HackMii Installer 0.5 versions of everything and have a BootMii boot2 NAND Backup ready before doing any of this though...
NAND backups saved my butt yesterday. So glad I had made that backup earlier this week or I'd have a nice paperweight right now.
October 11, 2009 03:33AM
Hi guys....Ummmm this is gonna piss alot of you off....But my homebrew is functioning just fine with 4.2
October 11, 2009 04:35AM
why would that piss us off, homebrew already works on 4.2
October 11, 2009 11:29AM
darklink
why would that piss us off, homebrew already works on 4.2

...As of HBC 1.0.5
October 16, 2009 11:18AM
is there a fix now for error 003?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login