Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

October 2009 Wii Shop Channel Update Topic

Posted by Arikado 
October 2009 Wii Shop Channel Update Topic
October 22, 2009 10:48PM
All discussion about the October 2009 update to the Wii Shop Channel goes here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2009 10:48PM by Arikado.
Just got the mail for the free NES game
October 21, 2009 08:06AM
Seems like it updates you to 4.2, guess I'll be steering clear of the update and just use WiiSCU, although I'm not sure it actually updates anything if you're already on 4.2 or used WiiSCU in the past, I'll update in a few

EDIT: Needs an update, will post results about if WiiSCU takes care of this, or if it wants the new sysmenu in a few

EDIT2: crap, seems to want the new sysmenu, will report back as soon as I see what's what

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2009 08:52AM by cactusjack901.
Re: Just got the mail for the free NES game
October 21, 2009 02:13PM
What about the Wii shop and IOS 61 installer?
you can try that.
October 21, 2009 03:26PM
I went ahead and took the plunge to run the update...did not affect anything that I've seen so far...

HBC and bootMii are still there and working properly, but I have not checked yet to see if cIOS is affected...I will check that later today and post back with my results...
October 21, 2009 06:58PM
If you already have 4.2, nothing will be affected. If you dont, you will be updated to 4.2 first, then the new Shop Channel will be installed. If, for example, you were on 4.0, I see no reason you couldn't use WiiSCU or IOS61 and Shop Channel Installer and then access the Shop Channel.
October 21, 2009 07:48PM
SifJar
If you already have 4.2, nothing will be affected. If you dont, you will be updated to 4.2 first, then the new Shop Channel will be installed. If, for example, you were on 4.0, I see no reason you couldn't use WiiSCU or IOS61 and Shop Channel Installer and then access the Shop Channel.

Yeah, I was/am on 4.1 and have no intentions of updating, and tried WiiSCU and it didn't solve this, I also tried the modified IOS61 and Shop Channel Installer for the 4.2 shop channel and it's still asking me to update

EDIT: Hmm, IOS61 and Shop Channel Installer seems to have been updated already [wiibrew.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2009 07:54PM by cactusjack901.
October 21, 2009 07:59PM
yeah marcmax updated it. try that and see if it works please. report back either way please, it would be very helpful.
October 21, 2009 08:24PM
Worked great, went and got my NES game right away
October 21, 2009 08:34PM
So the updated IOS61 and Shop Channel Installer works. Good to know.
October 22, 2009 09:33PM
I used WiiSCU to update the shop channel and did not install IOS61 (im on 4.1) and it works fine :0 I wonder why...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2009 09:33PM by ICEing.
October Shop Channel update
October 21, 2009 10:39PM
Hi everybody...

I recently updated my Wii to system 4.2 using a modified installer, so that all my homebrew wouldn't be affected. Now I can see there's a new update available, which lets me download a free VC-game, because I paid for the internet channel. Is it safe just to let the Wii update itself via Nintendo or should I use a special installer again, and if I have to use a modified installer, which one? Anybody tried this yet???

Thanks in advance for your help
Re: October Shop Channel update
October 21, 2009 10:44PM
You can update it. I don't think it effects the system menu..

BTW, there isn't any homebrew that won't work on 4.2. I wouldn't suggest using those "Safe" Installers. I don't really think they're safe at all.
October 21, 2009 10:48PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

Hehe... seems I was quite lucky then when I updated with the "safe" installer... PHEW!!! :O)

So you don't think anything will happen to my Wii if I just update directly from Nintendo?! I am a little worried, but I would also like to get my free VC-game... :O)
October 21, 2009 11:15PM
I've been following these forums for months and have enjoyed all of your homebrew efforts (thank you!)

My question: Should I just update to 4.2 and the new Shop Channel through Nintendo, plain and simple?

I haven't updated from 4.1U because of all the bricking concerns, but I have patched/installed (?) the Shop Channel via WiiSCU.

There seems to be some on this board who say they have not had any issues. Would this be true?

I only have the new HBC (v.1.06) and have only patched/installed (?) the Shop Channel via WiiSCU after the major 4.2 update.
I have No Bootmii, no Patchmii, or any other mods. And I'm fairly confident of my internet connection and power supply.

I'm afraid that if I keep using a work-around to update (there's talk here of using "safe installers"), things might get messed up (even more) later on.

Has anyone successfully updated to 4.2?

Thanks for all your help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2009 11:17PM by radiohead.
October 21, 2009 11:19PM
I'd advise using WiiSCU or IOS61 and Shop Channel Installer, instead of updating. Seeing as you used a "safe" updater, you didnt get the boot2 update, and its best not to get it, as there is a (very small) chance of bricking during that update.
October 21, 2009 11:27PM
So SifJar, what you are saying is that even though I updated to 4.2 using a safe installer, then I should not update the shop channel using the normal system update menu?!
Is WiiSCU safe to use? I have home brew channel and a lot of homebrew + as mentioned... sys menu 4.2!!!

Thanks in advance
October 22, 2009 03:17AM
I downloaded WiiSCU for system 4.1 and just updated Wii Shop... Now all is right with the world!

Currently, I'm running IOS61 v19.26 (so says HBC. Still not exactly sure what that is, but it looks up to date.)

I guess I'll just keep updating this way until this forum says otherwise.

Thanks for the help!

Now to figure out what free NES game to download...
October 22, 2009 06:34PM
Skeem101
So SifJar, what you are saying is that even though I updated to 4.2 using a safe installer, then I should not update the shop channel using the normal system update menu?!
Is WiiSCU safe to use? I have home brew channel and a lot of homebrew + as mentioned... sys menu 4.2!!!

Thanks in advance

Because you updated using a "safe" updater (I say "safe" because it really isnt), you did not get the boot2 update, and if you do an official update now, you will. Just get WiiSCU and install the new Shop Channel, dont bother with any IOS. It should be perfectly safe.
October 26, 2009 11:34PM
hi
iv succesfully updated to 4.2
WITH MANY PROBLEMS

1.delets homebrew

2.stubs out ios vunrabilitys (cant play back ups)

3.got semi-bricked

4.got annoyed

5.almost put my foot through the T.V

6.spent all my time up to today to recover all of the above

and i did. the good people of wiihacks.com and wiibrew.org helped me.
but to avoid waisting all your time getting back lost software...
DO NOT UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2009 11:34PM by 100kallibur.
October 26, 2009 11:46PM
100kallibur
hi
iv succesfully updated to 4.2
WITH MANY PROBLEMS

1.delets homebrew

2.stubs out ios vunrabilitys ([fail])

3.got semi-bricked

4.got annoyed

5.almost put my foot through the T.V

6.spent all my time up to today to recover all of the above

and i did. the good people of [fail] and wiibrew.org helped me.
but to avoid waisting all your time getting back lost software...
DO NOT UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It really doesnt take that long to "get back lost software". Just update HBC and DVDX before updating, and use dop-IOS MOD to update, missing out boot2 update, keeping BootMii. Or just reinstall BootMii after update. Anyway, this thread isn't about 4.2.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login