Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pristine Wii? Can It Be Done?

Posted by beepbeepgoescar 
Pristine Wii? Can It Be Done?
October 29, 2009 10:26PM
In hindsight, I was probably smart in deciding to use BootMii to backup my Wii's NAND as soon as I used the Bannerbomb exploit. I was wondering if it is possible to one day restore my Wii via BootMii and leave no trace of Homebrew. Of course, I won't be doing this in the foreseeable future (having too much fun :D ). But I would like to have the resources to do so if I ever decide to.

Do you have any links or suggestions? Thank you for your help!

EDIT: Just to add some info, I installed BootMii as Boot2 for extra protection. I'm not sure if that helps with your suggestion. In addition, my Wii is version 4.1 and I refuse to update it further (from what I hear it makes BootMii useless, even boot2? Is that correct?)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2009 10:45PM by beepbeepgoescar.
Re: Pristine Wii? Can It Be Done?
October 29, 2009 10:48PM
Yeah, it's possible. You would have to uninstall Bootmii afterwards, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2009 10:48PM by gameboy13.
October 29, 2009 10:51PM
Resotre your earliest NAND dump, which I assume was taken right after install HBC, BootMii and DVDx, before installing anything else, then run HackMii Installer with bannerbomb and uninstall HBC, BootMii and DVDx through it. In fact, if you stay to stuff supported here, you shouldn't need to restore the NAND dump. If you install cIOS, or any IOS mods, or any custom channels, it may be easier to restore NAND dump, but most of that stuff is unsupported here, and could be easily reversed anyway, without restoring NAND dump. If you install preloader or any System Menu patches (StartPatch or something), reinstall System Menu via a WAD. If you have cIOS or custom channels, delete with AnyTitle Deleter. If you have any IOS mods, just reinstall unpatched versions of each IOS. Basically, its possible to fairly easily reverse most modifications, if you know what you're doing.
October 29, 2009 11:04PM
^^ More specific info would be greatly appreciated. If I restored my NAND via BootMii, I would definitely still have BootMii on my Wii, BannerBomber, HBC, and possibly DVDx and (they were included with HackMii).

I guess the problem is remembering what I had on my Wii in terms of these homebrew apps before I installed BootMii and backed up my NAND. Is there some sort of app that could figure all that out? And are there apps that can fully install BootMii, BannerBomber, DVDx, HBC, etc..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2009 11:09PM by beepbeepgoescar.
October 30, 2009 12:11AM
Restoring a NAND backup will restore your wii to exactly the condition it was in when you made the backup. If you ever have reason to remove them, you can uninstall Bootmii, DVDx, and the Homebrew Channel with the Hackmii Installer.
October 30, 2009 12:44AM
Sweet, that is great info, exactly what I wanted to know. So I just need to make sure I have the HackMii Installer. The one thing I need to find out now is how to uninstall the BannerBomber. Does the BannerBomber installer have an uninstaller?
October 30, 2009 01:11AM
Bannerbomb is never installed on the wii so it cannot be uninstalled, although you can delete it from your SD card.
October 30, 2009 02:29AM
Ok, nice, this is becoming quite the quick and informative thread. So basically, bannerbomb is ran to open up a hole for the HBC. Correct? So thinking about this all, there is really only one more thing that could leave a trace (that I can think of) and that's the Wii's log.
October 30, 2009 10:50AM
HBC does not record in the Wii log (check it). It used to but doesnt any more. If you have a custom channel, it'll still record in Wii log, but HBC doesn't.

And yeah, all bannerbomb does is run the HackMii Installer. It doesn't actually install anything. Its just an exploit, the important thing is the HackMii Installer, which can be run from any exploit, to the same effect.
November 02, 2009 11:22AM
i read the stuff from bushing saying that HBC stopped adding stuff to the messageboard in the wii, but looking through mine i have several entried for homebrew channel. and this wii has only had the 2 most recent versions of HBC on it. so either they put back in the logging stuff, or the system menu is doing it for them.
November 02, 2009 06:53PM
Huh, really? That's wierd. It never shows up for me anymore....
November 02, 2009 07:41PM
Sometimes it shows up for me, but not always. If I launch it from the system menu but do not run anything with it, it will not appear in my logs. If I do run a homebrew program, sometimes (possibly always, I don't remember) it will appear in the log. When I launch it from anything other than the system menu, it never appears in the log.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login