Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Preparing for NSMB release

Posted by Rockym 
Preparing for NSMB release
November 11, 2009 02:48PM
Hello,
I am planning on picking up New Super Mario Bros on Sunday and wondered what the best way to prepare my Wii for it is. I have BootMii installed as Boot 2 and HBC as well. I am asking because I heard it requires the 4.1 menu and my Wii is currently on 3.4U. I just don't want the game to apply the update and mess up my homebrew.

Thanks
Re: Preparing for NSMB release
November 11, 2009 02:59PM
All right, let's get some fact straights:

First, I'm almost positive the game won't require a system menu higher then 3.4

Second, you can perform a clean update to 4.2 (the latest update) and still have all of your homebrew work fine.

Now, with your mind enlightened, what are you planning to do and how can I assist you?
November 11, 2009 03:07PM
Arikado
All right, let's get some fact straights:

First, I'm almost positive the game won't require a system menu higher then 3.4

Second, you can perform a clean update to 4.2 (the latest update) and still have all of your homebrew work fine.

Now, with your mind enlightened, what are you planning to do and how can I assist you?

Well, I'm planning on getting the game this Sunday and when I put it in I don't want it to update my Wii and mess up my homebrew, especially the Boot2 as I heard the 4.2 update can mess it up. I normally use WiiSCU to update the shop channel and stuff when there is an update released. I'm only asking because when I got Punchout back in May I didn't realize it had an update on it. I let it update and thankfully it only brought me to 3.4 and didn't mess up anything. Thanks, Arikado
November 11, 2009 04:11PM
Arikado

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you have the latest versions of everything installed and you'll be fine.
November 11, 2009 07:40PM
My advice would be do a clean update to 4.2, making sure you have HBC 1.0.6 first, and then once you've updated, reinstall BootMii as boot2 with the HackMii Installer. This is what I intend to do very soon in preparation for NSMB. You can do the update either via the disc, or via wifi beforehand. If you do it via WiFi, the disc may still ask you to update, but it will only be a few IOS installations.
November 12, 2009 11:18AM
Well, I did a safe update to 4.2 with an updater I found. It worked pretty well and BootMii was still intact and didn't need to be reinstalled. Here's hoping Nintendo doesn't try to sneak in a boot2 update into NSMB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2009 09:58PM by Arikado.
November 12, 2009 02:33PM
boot2v4 is part of 4.2, and thus it will want you to install it.

It has been established that the brick risk for the boot2v4 installation is no higher than the brick risk for BootMii/boot2 installation, which is known to be near-zero.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2009 02:34PM by WikiFSX.
November 12, 2009 06:11PM
The only reason more bricks were reported for boot2v4 installation is the magnitude of people updating officially. (All those who know nothing of homebrew and have WiFi, and many who do know about homebrew as well, seeing as it does nothing harmless really)
November 12, 2009 10:00PM
Rockym
Well, I did a safe update to 4.2 with an updater I found. It worked pretty well and BootMii was still intact and didn't need to be reinstalled. Here's hoping Nintendo doesn't try to sneak in a boot2 update into NSMB.
You're truly an idiot if you used that. No updater program can possibly satisfy the unique needs of every Wii console unless it was made by Nintendo or allows for manual installation like Dop-IOS MOD. I can 99.9% guarantee you that NSMB is still going to need to update your Wii...
November 12, 2009 11:28PM
Arikado
Rockym
You're truly an idiot if you used that. No updater program can possibly satisfy the unique needs of every Wii console unless it was made by Nintendo or allows for manual installation like Dop-IOS MOD. I can 99.9% guarantee you that NSMB is still going to need to update your Wii...

No need to insult me Arikado. While I'm not a hardcore homebrew user (I mostly just run homebrew games and emulators), I try to be as careful as I can when Nintendo comes up with these updates. I read all the sites and only update what I need to. I had been using WiiSCU to continue accessing the shop channel and not installing Nintendo updates. I think I may be misunderstanding something, I thought with the 4.2 update that BootMii couldn't be installed to boot2 anymore because of boot2v4. Did they fix that?
November 12, 2009 11:40PM
Rockym
BootMii couldn't be installed to boot2 anymore because of boot2v4. Did they fix that?
That was never a problem. BootMii boot2 could always be reinstalled by simply rerunning the HackMii Installer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2009 11:40PM by Arikado.
November 13, 2009 06:41PM
the boot2v4 update just overwrote BootMii as boot2, it doesnt stop it being installed. You could always just reinstall it once you updated, since they brought out HackMii Installer v0.5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2009 06:41PM by SifJar.
November 14, 2009 04:32AM
I'm convinced that if you are not a pirate, arrr (beyond running emulators, that is), you have nothing to worry about.

All the scaremongering and misinformation dissemindated by some (not all) people in this forum and others has led people to do silly things like using update tools which, in my non-educated opinion, are more dangerous than the official update from Nintendo.

I only installed the Homebrew Channel when I convinced myself it was very safe and have approach the whole mod concept with simply updating officially through Nintendo after checking here and verifying that there is a new way to restore my homebrew. This has kept things safe, simple and enjoyable for me.

All I use is the HBC and some apps.
November 14, 2009 05:27PM
Just boot the game with the Gecko OS. IT will bypass the updates. I play all the new games and i got 3.2U. If the game needs and ios the gecko os wil linstall it. or atleast its suposed to.
November 14, 2009 10:15PM
so nsmb has an update which contains system menu 4.2?
if it does can i run it through gecko os or will it not work?
November 14, 2009 11:28PM
Apparently it has 4.1 System Menu with all latest IOS (i.e. 4.2 IOS) and boot2v4.
November 15, 2009 12:26AM
SifJar
Apparently it has 4.1 System Menu with all latest IOS (i.e. 4.2 IOS) and boot2v4.

That's goofy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2009 12:26AM by WikiFSX.
November 15, 2009 12:28AM
But at least the boot2 update is safer right?
November 15, 2009 06:09AM
i hope it is, at least it has less chance of bricking wii's because the only way for the update to fail is a power faillure, unlike a online update which can be interrupted by a power failure or a internet connection failure(:
November 15, 2009 09:57PM
For those who came here looking for answers, I just installed the update that came with NSMBWii. I now have 4.1U (forget what I had before....) Homebrew Channel is still intact (though I never installed BootMii....).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login