Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Preparing for NSMB release

Posted by Rockym 
Re: Preparing for NSMB release
November 15, 2009 10:07PM
So it sounds like you just got an IOS update.

Thanks for confirming a lot of my suspicions :-)
November 16, 2009 06:37AM
When I did the update for new super mario bros...it DESTROYED bootmii! DO YOU READ ME? ITS NOT THERE ANYMORE!

The homebrew channel still seems functional, (Thank GOD) But JESUS, do I have to worry about crap like this now too!?

I'm still on 4.1U...can I get bootmii back just by re-installing with banner bomb? Or will it get deleted again? and how do I avoid this in the future? just update all the IOS's?
November 16, 2009 07:44AM
you can reinstall bootmii
NSMB has boot2v4 so it will overwrite bootmii just like an online update
just run the hackmii installer through hbc and reinstall bootmii
November 16, 2009 09:44PM
Ok, cool...but what about future game updates? This has me worried about that now!
November 16, 2009 10:48PM
poppy
Ok, cool...but what about future game updates?
They should all contain the same update on NSMB until the game update partition is updated again. After that, your guess is as good as mine as to what will happen.
November 16, 2009 11:15PM
Game update partition? Is that something I could possibly know about without going on the internet in the first place? *which still kinda brings me back to my first point, will I have to worry?*
November 17, 2009 01:28AM
It's where the updates are stored in games.

Here's what. As long as your Wii has boot2v4 and a higher version of boot2 has not been released, BootMii will stay on your Wii after the update. As soon as a newer boot2 version comes out, everything will ask you to update again. When you install that update, BootMii will again be erased, but you will either immediately or in a very short time be able to install it again.
November 17, 2009 02:23AM
I have preloader 30. and system menu 3.3v2 i want to get this game, will i be allright if i update?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2009 02:24AM by aujakev.
November 17, 2009 02:25AM
If you update aujakev, it'll remove preloader, bootmii, and hbc and dvdx if you dont have their latest versions. However they can all be reinstalled.

Or, you can skip the update with GeckoOS.
November 17, 2009 04:17AM
Arikado
If you update aujakev, it'll remove preloader, bootmii, and hbc and dvdx if you dont have their latest versions. However they can all be reinstalled.

Why would it delete HBC and DVDX? it installs SM 4.1.
November 17, 2009 12:57PM
TopGun96
Honeslty not sure if its 4.1 or 4.2 after some IRC discussion. Everyone should really just have the latest version of everything installed anyways. Also, FYI, I've seen proof now that the boot2 update is definitely on that disc.
November 17, 2009 02:31PM
Alright thanks.
November 18, 2009 03:21PM
Arikado

will GeckoOS install the ios' it needs?
November 18, 2009 07:13PM
Arikado
TopGun96
Honeslty not sure if its 4.1 or 4.2 after some IRC discussion. Everyone should really just have the latest version of everything installed anyways. Also, FYI, I've seen proof now that the boot2 update is definitely on that disc.

I can confirm that the boot2 update is on the disc as well. Just reinstalled bootmii afterward and all was fine.
November 18, 2009 07:42PM
aujakev
Arikado

I'm not sure it can. I know that WUFE can't extract the IOS WADs because of the new copy protection
November 18, 2009 09:17PM
aujakev
Arikado

It should.
November 18, 2009 09:47PM
Is it true that the new boot2 prevents IOS patching/downgrading. (I dont see how it could though)
November 18, 2009 09:51PM
Not exactly. Some newer Wiis ("LU64+" wiis) are incompatible with downgraded IOS, but I do not believe it has anything to do with boot2 version. It is an incompatibility between the old IOS and some new hardware I believe. And patched IOS work on any Wii. And some downgraded IOS (15, 16 probably others) work fine on these newer Wiis. Also, newer downgraded IOS (e.g. 4.1 versions of IOS on 4.2) work fine on a "LU64+" Wii. If that helps, good. If not, sorry. I think bushing explained it all on hackmii a while ago.
November 18, 2009 09:52PM
thanks that did help.
November 18, 2009 10:23PM
Before 4.2, boot2v4 was one way of detecting one of these Wiis, because the old version of boot2 just would not work on these wiis, so they HAD to have boot2v4 preinstalled (boot2 is made from same codebase as IOS, so like old IOS, the old boot2 was incompatible with the new hardware). This lead people to think perhaps boot2v4 was the cause of the IOS downgrade prevention, because all the Wiis incompatible with IOS downgrades had it. Which was not the case. boot2 was finished running long before anything displays on screen, it could not check an IOS when it was attempted to load it. Anyway, now any Wii on 4.2 has boot2v4, so it can no longer be used to detect if old IOS will work or not.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login