Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

USB Question (Again since old topic was locked w/o reason)

Posted by Kammesennin 
USB Question (Again since old topic was locked w/o reason)
December 15, 2009 04:25PM
I'm not sure why my previous topic was locked, the only person who even mentioned doing anything illegal was bg4545, but his statement was purely a speculation about my intentions... so I'm a bit confused by that one.

Anyway, since my lack of specification has caused whatever happened in the last thread to happen, I will give ALL the details of why I need to know what sort of USB device can be used to load apps on HBC.

I have only 1 2gb SD card that I use on both my Wii and my DS. Now I'm sure most of you know the DS uses .m4a AAC format audio, not .mp3. I like to listen to music on both my Wii and my DS depending on whether I'm at home or work. Regardless of where I am though, it would be easier for me if I could keep my SD card in my DS.

I saw the suggestion in the previous thread "Why not go get another SD card". I would if I could afford it, but at this point I'm lucky I'm still eating every day, so an SD card is kind of out of the question.

The reason I'm asking USB, is a buddy of mine has tons and tons of spare computer parts/accessories including various USB devices. All I'm asking is what types of devices I could possibly use to load my apps and music on the Wii. The only thing I'm able to try before finding out what is compatible is my USB to IDE adapter with a 200GB HDD, but it doesn't work with the Wii. So my question is, what CAN I use? Or if anyone here uses a device, what do you use? I'm just looking for an idea of what's compatible that's all. I'm sorry I wasn't specific enough in the previous thread, and if anyone is still under the assumption that I plan to do something illegal with the information, go ahead and ask for more details.

And seriously, a valid reason for locking the previous topic would be much appreciated. I didn't think this simple question would get so complicated.
Re: USB Question (Again since old topic was locked w/o reason)
December 15, 2009 04:37PM
Kammesennin
I'm not sure why my previous topic was locked, the only person who even mentioned doing anything illegal was bg4545, but his statement was purely a speculation about my intentions... so I'm a bit confused by that one.

And seriously, a valid reason for locking the previous topic would be much appreciated. I didn't think this simple question would get so complicated.
Link to previous topic?

Anyways, to answer your question, it really depends on what media player you plan on using to play your music files on Wii. Some actually don't even support USB.
December 15, 2009 04:44PM
Sorry, didn't even think about the link, lol.

[forum.wiibrew.org]

Well, at the moment I'm using DMP (Dragon Media Player), which I believe has some USB support, I just can't seem to find anything here, on google, or on youtube showing/listing any compatible USB devices.

Thanks for quick response!

EDIT: If necessary I'd gladly switch to MPlayer CE or some other media player that supports USB... I'm not particular to any one player as minimal time is spent even looking at the screen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2009 04:46PM by Kammesennin.
December 15, 2009 05:26PM
Kammesennin
Well, at the moment I'm using DMP (Dragon Media Player), which I believe has some USB support, I just can't seem to find anything here, on google, or on youtube showing/listing any compatible USB devices.
ROFL - try using [wiibrew.org] which is forum was built for.

Anyways, Dragon Media Player claims to have full USB support so you shouldn't have any problems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2009 05:27PM by Arikado.
December 15, 2009 05:33PM
Arikado
ROFL - try using [wiibrew.org] which is forum was built for.

Anyways, Dragon Media Player claims to have full USB support so you shouldn't have any problems.

Yeah, I'm aware of that... nothing I've found on the site says anything other than the fact that you can load from USB...

I'm just asking what I'm supposed to plugin to the USB port that I could conceivably load from. My HDD doesn't work... what does?

The information I'm requesting really doesn't appear to exist on the site.
December 15, 2009 06:05PM
You most likely don't have your HDD formatted correctly, so homebrew software can't recognize it. It should be formatted to FAt.

Edit: Or you could just use MPlayer CE which will recognize your HDD without having to format it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2009 06:06PM by Arikado.
December 15, 2009 06:33PM
So in other words, practically all plug n play USB devices are compatible to some extent?

Thank you very much for your assistance, Arikado. An answer like that is plenty enough for me. I'm not exactly up to formatting my HDD at the moment so I'll give MPlayer CE a whirl with my HDD attached, and if for some reason it doesn't work... I guess I'll have to borrow an HDD from a friend to backup my things before formatting to FAT.
December 15, 2009 10:06PM
BTW, make sure that you plug into the correct port (I think its the one closer to the side of the wii, or the one on top if you have the wii on its side). Also, plug in the USB device at the System Menu, I find it doesn't work for me in mPlayer CE if my USB device is not plugged in when I launch HBC.
December 15, 2009 11:07PM
Yeah, sorry about that. I misunderstood you. I took "I'm not really into loading from DVD if I don't have to" as "I want to put all my Wii games on a hard drive so I don't have to use the disc."
And I said regular homebrew doesn't use HDDs but I overlooked the media playing apps because, well I don't use them. My mistake

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2009 11:08PM by bg4545.
December 16, 2009 01:48AM
bg4545
Yeah, sorry about that. I misunderstood you. I took "I'm not really into loading from DVD if I don't have to" as "I want to put all my Wii games on a hard drive so I don't have to use the disc."
And I said regular homebrew doesn't use HDDs but I overlooked the media playing apps because, well I don't use them. My mistake

I do understand, I frequently read the forums here and I've seen many people here with that intention. But I've loved Nintendo as long as I've lived and can't do that sort of thing to them.

And I forgot to take into consideration the fact that I'm probably one of very few people who actually use their Wii as a media player... with so many other better options available even. I could've mentioned right off the bat that it was for media purposes and avoided this whole confusion.

EDIT: Thanks SifJar, that'll help to know! Just saw your post after I replied.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2009 01:49AM by Kammesennin.
December 16, 2009 05:47PM
bg4545
Latest version of GuitarsOnFire can read songs from USB drives, and many emulators can read from USB drives.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login