Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Update to 4.1 via DOP-IOS - NSMB still needs update

Posted by halsafar 
Update to 4.1 via DOP-IOS - NSMB still needs update
December 18, 2009 09:07PM
I have a first gen Wii. It was running official fw3.4U. I have bootmii/boot2 installed with newest HBC.

Yesterday I got some help and updated my system using DOP-IOS to 4.1, here are the steps I followed:
- started DOP-IOS using IOS249 just fine
- updated IOS60 to oldest (did not currently have an IOS60)
- updated IOS70 to newest
- updated IOS61 to oldest (did not currently have an IOS61)
- installed System Menu 4.1
- installed Shop channel
- updated IOS53 to newest

My Wii is in fine shape. I can browse the shop channel.

My retail NSMB still wants a system update... Frustrating. I know GeckoOS can run it, already have that working. For many reasons I would prefer if it booted from the sys menu.

Any advice?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2009 09:12PM by halsafar.
Re: Update to 4.1 via DOP-IOS - NSMB still needs update
December 18, 2009 09:25PM
There are a few IOS you have not updated, and it probably wants to update boot2 as well. Just allow the update, and afterwards, reinstall bootmii/boot2.
December 18, 2009 09:26PM
Is there a list anywhere explaining which IOSs to grab? I have been searching for awhile now.

If I run an official update now after manually doing some IOS updating it could lead me to a brick? I do have a NAND dump and keys in case.
December 18, 2009 09:45PM
I think maybe because I chose to sig-hash with DOP-IOS to ALL the iso's I updated? That is probably why NSMB is still asking for update. It apparently needs non trucha bugged IOS.

Edit: Nope, reinstalled all the above IOS's + IOS55 all without sig-hash

Only other thing I can think of is I once had some cIOS stuff installed. Not sure how to go about detecting that and removing it. Not even sure what I did, it was over a year ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2009 09:50PM by halsafar.
December 18, 2009 10:24PM
Its because NSMB requires and updated boot2. Dop-IOS MOD cant update your boot2.
December 18, 2009 10:48PM
How does one feel about StartPatch to fix this then? Is this a widely accepted method? Or does this run me a higher risk of brick.
December 18, 2009 10:55PM
I would only suggest using StartPatch if you have Bootmii Boot2
December 18, 2009 11:22PM
I do have that. So I tried StartPatch and applied just the update check prevention. All seems to be a-ok right now.

I still wish there was a list of the IOS's one can safely update using DOP-IOS without bricking. But if NSMB really does a boot2 vulnerability check then yeah noway to fix that.
December 18, 2009 11:23PM
Glad you got it working.
December 21, 2009 04:17PM
Hey. I got NSMB yesterday, and have been tryig to work just this scenario out. I'm satisfied I can accept the update just fine, but I'd like to figure things out for the next game that comes along wanting to force an update. So, as with the original poster, original disc, launch Wii, bootmii as boot2.

My objective is to launch the game via the disc channel without having to go though gecko or fiddle with patches. I've dumped the updates present on the disc to establish which versions it wants, and DOPed all of the IOSes accrdingly, but still I get the "Wii System Update" prompt.

The question is thus, what is the difference between installing the update and then reinstalling bootmii, versus what I have now? i.e. How does the disc channel detect that boot2 has been updated?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2009 04:19PM by mr_jrt.
December 21, 2009 05:45PM
Just accept the disc channel and reinstall BootMii after. It will work fine, and you wont have to bother with pointless System Menu patches.
December 22, 2009 12:47AM
Yeah, I know that, I'm just curious how it can tell the difference between bootmii being on there vs. bootmii being reinstalled on it afterwards.
December 22, 2009 01:21PM
It can't. What it can tell is that your boot2 version (which BootMii does not change) is lower than 4, as the Wiis that shipped with boot2v4 often also had fixed boot1s. Once you update boot2, even if you install BootMii again, you won't need to update until a new boot2 version is out.
December 25, 2009 06:40PM
That's exactly what I was after, thanks.

I wonder if the bootmii people plan on increasing/altering their version numbers to match...
December 25, 2009 07:38PM
If you are really paranoid about the boot2 update I would suggest installing Priiloader and use the "Skip disc update check" hack to skip the update.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2009 07:39PM by Matoking.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login