Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Homebrew not startable on 4.2E Wii after preloader 0.30 install / IOS36 patch

Posted by bomigoton 
Wii Homebrew not startable on 4.2E Wii after preloader 0.30 install / IOS36 patch
January 08, 2010 08:25PM
Hello Wiibrew!

Another interesting Wii issue. Here it goes:

A friends Wii has 4.2E as System menu. He installed the HBC with bannerbomb for 4.2. Then he used Trucha Bug restorer, to re-enable the fakesigning big in ios 36 over ios 16.

Then he installed preloader 0.30, the installation went through, but he was not able to start the preloader menu.

Since that: No homebrew is able to start. The HBC starts, but any application crashes with a black screen. Application loading via bannerbomb doesn't work either. Bootmii as ios: not installed/startable (as boot2 not possible). hackmii installer: not startable anymore.

Some experienced people already tried to help, but there was no success until now.

The wii is not bricked, it is still playing games fine. Only Homebrew is kind of "blocked".
A reinstall of the systemmenu may help, but we do not now how to do it, because there is no way to start that.

Is it possible to restart the update for 4.2 somehow? Or is it necessary to wait, until the next wii system update comes out?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2010 06:49PM by bomigoton.
Re: Wii Homebrew not startable on 4.2E Wii after preloader 0.30 install
January 09, 2010 03:09AM
This doesn't quite make sense, unless you did more than what you have told us. In particular, patched versions of IOS60, IOS61, and/or IOS70 might cause this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2010 03:10AM by WikiFSX.
January 09, 2010 09:24AM
I will check, if there was IOS patching, as I did not operate this Wii.

For my understanding either

__the systemmenu has a problem
or
__the IOS Homebrew runs on

Which is the IOS Homebrew runs first? The same IOS HBC runs on? How is it possible to change this IOS?
Wii SPorts runs fine, bannerbomb and IndianaPwns are not able to start Homebrew, same as the HBC. Always a Blackscreen.
January 09, 2010 12:08PM
Update:
Ok, you are right, he patched IOS 36 and IOS 70 before trying to install the preloader.

So, what would be the next step to fix this?

Edit: cIOS 249 is installed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2010 12:33PM by bomigoton.
January 09, 2010 03:02PM
Try re-installing IOS36 using DOP-IOS Mod, first time around try installing it with a trucha bug.

Priiloader only needs trucha bug to work, try using that one. It's also more up-dated then Preloader .30

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2010 03:14PM by Matoking.
January 09, 2010 03:28PM
The problem is: DOP-IOS mod is not starting. no homebrew application starts.
January 09, 2010 05:06PM
Sounds like IOS36 is messed up, afaik all homebrew reloads IOS36 when it starts and if it doesn't exist it'll give a black screen. If you have or can get (even temporarily e.g. rent/borrow) New Super Mario Bros, try inserting it and running the update from it. That should probably fix IOS36. And as he has 4.2, nothing else should be affected. However, there is a chance it won't overwrite IOS36, but we'll cross that bridge if it comes to it. For now, try and get NSMB and run the update from it (if you can't borrow or rent it, I advise buying it, its a very good game anyway)
January 09, 2010 06:10PM
Is the update from Wii Sports Resort the same?
January 09, 2010 06:48PM
Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus have the 3.4 update included.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii has the 4.1 update with the Boot2v4 on it. I hope this will fix his IOS36, and won't interact in a bad way with his system menu 4.2.

Is there no way to change the IOS reload to a different IOS? By editing the source code? Or using nand emulation?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2010 06:51PM by bomigoton.
Re: Wii Homebrew not startable on 4.2E Wii after preloader 0.30 install / IOS36 patch
January 09, 2010 08:15PM
I don't think editing the source would help, because AFAIK, it is loaded with IOS36 THEN uses IOS36 to call any IOS reload in the program, i.e. no matter what IOS you set you need to have a working IOS36. I could be wrong though.

But actually, if IOS36 is missing, ANY disc should prompt for an update and install IOS36, and you said other games were fine...you don't have update blocking hack enabled in preloader do you?
Finally,

Sports Resort did an update, now its fixed.

Thanx!

Update blocking was not active. Wii Sports and Lego Indy did not perform an update.
January 15, 2010 07:29AM
bomigoton
Is there no way to change the IOS reload to a different IOS? By editing the source code? Or using nand emulation?
there is, but it requires the ios that loaded the dol to work which is np

all you need to add is 1 function which has 2 lines :P

also, i think ill talk to arikado and his team for dop ios mod to disable the ios reload to 36 (any homebrew loads ios36 on startup,adding 1 function to your code gives you full control what to do. for example : priiloader disables it and therefor doesn't reload on startup and doesn't need the ES_DIverify to get system menu rights cause it didn't loose them when reloading ios)

when that is disabled it should be perfectly possible for DOP-ios MOD to run with bannerbomb if ios36 is pooped

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2010 07:30AM by dacotaco.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login