Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help: Best means of updating to 4.2

Posted by GeltonZ 
Help: Best means of updating to 4.2
February 14, 2010 06:18AM
Hello, just joined WiiBrew for the sole purpose of asking for help on this matter. So please excuse me if this isn't in the EXACT right board for this or whatever.

I modded my Wii back when Twilight Hack was viable for the sole purpose of playing imports (TvC and Happy Dance Collection). So yeah, Homebrew Channel installed which I use to run GeckoOS. That's about it. I'm also hyper paranoid.

So yes, flash memory unaltered, no bootmii or bannerbomb or anything like that.

Well now there's some delicious WiiWare I want to buy but we have a sketchy update from Nintendo that can potentially brick your system, modded or not and if it does? You're screwed. With quite a bit of legit downloads on it, I'd rather not risk bricking the thing and I'm hearing rumors that if it gets bricked at all, Nintendo just claims you modded it even if you didn't (with other rumors saying there's no way for them to detect a soft mod and will fix it regardless).

Worse yet, there are no stable connections anywhere near me (my connection is terrible and a friend's has alot of wi-fi interference and I am not buying a LAN Adapter just to use it once at a friend's house).

So clearly I need to update and I wanna know what the best means of doing this is. Can I just use the NSMBWii disc-based update or does that only update the boot2 and not the system menu? If I did do that update and then got the rest of the update online, would that make it safer? Has Nintendo fixed this bug yet? Anyone have experiences getting their Wiis fixed through Nintendo?

I'd also rather not mess around with anything that could further complicate future updates, like bootmii or anything that alters the flash memory. It seems like that kind of stuff carries just as much risk or close to it.

I'm probably worrying too much, but I *AM* paranoid and wanted to ask what you all thought was the best course of action. I'm running System Menu 4.1, latest Homebrew Channel update, channel added through Twilight Hack. No bootmii, no flash memory alterations, no stable internet connection.

Thanks for reading all my paranoid ramblings. Any advice?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2010 06:30AM by GeltonZ.
Re: Help: Best means of updating to 4.2
February 14, 2010 06:36AM
You have two options. You can either perform the system update, or manually update the shop channel. The risk in performing the update is very small, and if it does fail, Nintendo will replace your wii for free (as long as you don't tell them you have homebrew, they won't find this out themselves). If the internet connection fails during the update, not everything will be updated, but it shouldn't brick your wii (this happened to me a while ago). You can just restart the update later.

If you don't want to update, you can use Dop-IOS Mod (or download a shop channel WAD with NUS Downloader and install it with WAD Import) to install the latest version of the shop channel. There is practicly no risk in doing this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2010 06:37AM by jbc007.
February 14, 2010 09:57AM
Except that I'd need something that lets me install WADs and that requires modifying the flash memory.

Good to hear reassurance that should the Wii get bricked, Nintendo SHOULD be able to replace it. I've been hearing mixed things on that. Think updating from the NSMBWii disc will make things go smoother?
February 14, 2010 02:27PM
Just do an official update. You lose nothing, especially relative to 4.1.
February 14, 2010 03:11PM
Ultimately, you're going to have to modify your NAND to update. It comes down to would you rather do it through homebrew or through Nintendo?

I'm sure you know hoe to update through Nintendo :P so I'll just cover updating through homebrew.

The only thing you need to update to 4.2 through homebrew is system menu 4.2 and IOS 70. My Dop-IOS MOD program can install both for you. It's ultimately no different than doing a WAD installation of the necessary components except that it is easier for you (ie: less thinking required)

Once you update through homebrew, NSMB is still going to want you to update. That's because it wants to update your boot2. Dop-IOS MOD can also update boot2 for you if you wish. It uses bushing's code used in bootmii to do so. Updating boot2 is the only part of the update process that has any risk. So far, Nintendo has bricked a good handful of people supposedly with their boot2 update method and bushing's method has yet to brick anyone. Again, this is a 'who-do-you-trust-more?' situation.

Now I mentioned the boot2 update separately because there is an alternative to updating boot2. You can use StartPatch (MOD version recommended) to patch your system menu and allow you to play disc games without having to update your Wii. Or you could use the homebrew channel to launch Gecko OS for the same effect.

Good luck with everything!
March 01, 2010 07:10AM
I updated my shop channel manually with NUSD and Wadimport, but whenever I run it, I get kicked back to the home menu. What did I do wrong? Can I fix it somehow?
March 01, 2010 09:10AM
You probably need to install IOS61 (I think)
March 11, 2010 03:59PM
So, I just need a quick clarification (I'm about as paranoid as the OP). I'm currently at System Menu 4.0, with BootMii, HBC, and DVDX installed. Is the actual brick-risk of updating through official channels large? Should I use DOP-Mii, or can I fairly safely use the official updater?
March 11, 2010 04:06PM
Unless you know exactly what you are doing, you are more likely to brick your wii if you update it manually than if you use the official update feature. There is absolutely no benefit to updating, since the only purpose of the latest update is to remove homebrew (it completely failed). Still, go ahead and do it if you want. It is unlikely to brick your wii.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 04:07PM by jbc007.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login