Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mega Merged OMG Ninty's gonna update my Wii while I sleep thread

Posted by bushing 
Re: Mega Merged OMG Ninty's gonna update my Wii while I sleep thread
January 08, 2009 08:57PM
Legend28469
I catch your point(s)... thanks to you two for clearing that up.. I'm still gonna try redo-ing my twilight hack.. and i'll let you guys know if it deletes the save file..

yeah, that'll be a good way to tset it...but that is just a software thing...
January 08, 2009 09:04PM
well.. i figured if it doesn't delete.. then i can't be subject to 3.4... because that is also part of the contract agreement.. but i don't get home til about 6 something eastern (CA)... so.. if someone else wants to try and make a report on that... feel free
Next System Update Install Without Warning?
January 22, 2009 05:53PM
i just went to ign and read up about wii's preview in 09. i read this and saw that the next update will install without warning?

IGN
Bootable SD Card Game this Spring
One of the most irritating aspects of the Nintendo Wii is its limited storage space: any user who's accessed the Virtual Console and WiiWare download sections on the Wii Shop channel has no doubt run into the frustration of doing the "Refrigerator Shuffle," the act of deleting downloaded Wii games and save files just to make room for new titles to buy. Nintendo will, without warning, push a brand new system update that will enable the ability to not just download games straight to an SD card for increased storage, but those downloaded-to-SD card games will be playable straight from the card slot. No shuffle necessary. Expect this update by March, if not sooner.
[wii.ign.com]

is that going to be bad for people who have the homebrew channel on their wii? i guess only time will tell, expected by march or sooner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2009 05:54PM by drchink.
Re: Next System Update Install Without Warning?
January 22, 2009 09:10PM
When did ign post this article?

Never mind, It was just posted. I havent read/heard about this anywhere else so I wouldnt be too worried if I was you. However, I reccomend that you keep your wiiconnect24 off as much as you can to avoid such an update.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2009 09:13PM by Arikado.
January 22, 2009 09:13PM
January 21, 2009. so yesterday.
January 23, 2009 12:53AM
Yes, but this is only if you have 3.4. With 3.4 Nintendo now has the correct lawyer talk to install any update without warning.
January 23, 2009 02:12AM
^ Erm, you can agree to the new user agreements without updating to 3.4 Lets not forget that IGN could be wrong too.
January 23, 2009 07:15AM
Arikado
^ Erm, you can agree to the new user agreements without updating to 3.4 Lets not forget that IGN could be wrong too.
Yeah, they may just be inferring based on the new EULA, and there have been rumors about being able to run games off the SD card.
January 23, 2009 04:25PM
The SD things arent rumors. Thats confirmed information from Nintendo almost half a year ago at one of their japan conferences.
February 26, 2009 12:26AM
wait wouldnt it brick someones wii if their wiis off, its updating automatically and that person decides to unplug his wii so he can charge his phone or whatever, or does that simply cancel the update
February 26, 2009 12:35AM
jassim
wait wouldnt it brick someones wii if their wiis off, its updating automatically and that person decides to unplug his wii so he can charge his phone or whatever, or does that simply cancel the update
You're line of thinking is something I've been thinking for a long time. I'm seriously concerned by it. I hope Nintendo has enough sense to understand the number Wiis they could brick by updating without user notification. I hope they do, and to that extent I think the updates without notification are all bark and no bite threats from Nintendo. But then again, its Nintendo we're talking about so I'll probably be proven wrong :S

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2009 12:36AM by Arikado.
February 26, 2009 01:14AM
i really hope this whole auto update thing is just fake because if its true then theres gonna be a whole bunch of people complaining about bricking their wii and that might mean nintendo would lay off games/console development :-/
March 19, 2009 12:16AM
Nintendo's not dumb enough to intentionally brick consoles, otherwise they'd lose a lot of money to lawsuits and financial damage. They'd also lose my respect.

And if the automatic updates worked, it would have happened a long time ago. Doesn't seem that much of a threat.

The only people who are really harmful to Nintendo are the pirates, the rest of us shouldn't be worried.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2009 12:18AM by OboeNerd.
March 21, 2009 06:02AM
I don't see NInty ever doing this. There are way too may examples too chose from as how bad things can happen when you do stuff like this *cough*Microsoft*cough*Sony*cough*. They'd end up getting beat in court like a read headed step child if you know what i mean. I think anyone who is ingenious as Nintendo would be able to learn by others examples and not do it. However, they could have as simple of a loophole as just putting hidden turn off features to they're new update system like Microsoft with Windows 7( see this article [lifehacker.com]). So i think they'd be stupid to try it, but smart if they used the type of loophole Microsoft did, but i still wouldn't appreciate Nintendo as much.

EDIT: wow i just realized i used they're in the wrong context...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2009 06:03AM by ChuckBartowski.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login