Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mega Merged System Menu 3.4 thread

Posted by bushing 
Re: Wii system menu 3.4
November 25, 2008 06:48PM
I'm probably beating a dead horse with this question but I keep seeing people affirm this as fact and yet I have not seen anybody confirm it.

The notion of Nintendo not being able to auto-update your firmware (without notification) without having installed System Menu 3.4 first, is this just speculation or is there evidence in the code of the 3.4 update that suggests this is the case?

What about future game discs, could they have the ability to force an update on you without notification?

Thanks.
November 26, 2008 12:51AM
Wii do not know if there is code to auto-update. But there very well could be. Future game discs might, but there is Starfall/GekcoOS/etc for that.
November 26, 2008 01:21AM
Well, if "wii" don't know, then why do you state categorically:
Autoupdating is possible on 3.4 or higher. Nothing else. No autoupdates have happened yet.

I don't mean to antagonize you, I know you mean well but mis-information is spread most easily when unconfirmed speculation is stated as fact.
November 26, 2008 04:37AM
I meant that it is *possible* that there could be code that could make it happen. So it could *possibly* happen, we do not know yet.
November 26, 2008 05:54PM
Sure, but I don't think it's been ruled out that you could get the updates even with earlier firmware versions and that only the Service Agreement has been updated to allow for it.
November 27, 2008 01:04AM
Actually, I am not even sure if SUCH a Service Agreement is legal or should I say "active" by the law in every country.
e.g. the EULA permitting me to use OEM Windows versions on only newly bought PCs has no meaning in e.g. Germany.

Btw.: I think the idea from Nintendo to add a dummy IOS254 is more than a bit lame. After all those programs could then move to another IOS - maybe even automatically detect a free IOS, do they intend to use dummy IOS for all possible IOS? Even if so, there should still be a way to detect dummy IOS and probably exchange those with the ones wanted.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2008 11:33AM by ghost_zero.
November 30, 2008 12:36PM
Regarding auto-update (again - though not by me): Is it confirmed that if you would turn of WiiConnect24 completely that you then won't get auto-updates (I am not on v3.4 but I just would like to know)?

Also: Someone mentioned the possibility of blocking nus.cdn.shop.wii.com, isn't this US only? What about European/Japanese Wiis?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2008 12:43PM by ghost_zero.
December 01, 2008 04:12AM
It is not confirmed to work via Wiiconnect24 (if it even exits), and it could be different. So turning off WiiConnect24 COULD block the hypothetical updates, but it also could not block them.
December 10, 2008 11:20PM
daniel_c_w
HyperHacker
Updates are already sent through WC24.
Doesn't Nintendo just send messages to the users about the updates?
Right, I meant messages are sent with a flag telling it to show the update button. They could add another flag telling it to download and install without asking. Or that flag could have existed all along, and just not been used.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2008 11:21PM by HyperHacker.
December 12, 2008 06:18AM
Or it is done in some other way, or it isn't done at all, or it is done on the wii side but there is no server-side updates yet, or etc...
IOS Problem
December 09, 2008 02:01AM
So I'm interested in downloading Starfall, so I got AnyRegion Changer to downgrade my Wii to ver. 3.2U. That's when I got an error, and then I found out that the wiki page of AnyRegion said, "Requires an IOS that accepts fake signatures". I got PatchMii and used it, thinking it would install this IOS for me. I was wrong, because it said the same thing, "Requires an IOS that accepts fake signatures".

How do I patch my Wii with this IOS?
Re: IOS Problem
December 09, 2008 02:23AM
What version do you have? It will work on everything up to Oct. 23rd.
December 09, 2008 02:40AM
I have ver. 3.4U, and I heard PatchMii won't work with this version. Does that mean it's impossible to get Starfall in the time being?
December 09, 2008 06:27PM
It is not impossible, just a bit risky... With the "special method" (installing a Nintendo-signed and unpatched IOS with WAD Manager), you can enable Patcmii and others again, even on 3.4, I guess. Look for it at GBATemp forums, I think they have a sticky topic about this method.
December 09, 2008 10:30PM
yoshicircuit
I have ver. 3.4U, and I heard PatchMii won't work with this version. Does that mean it's impossible to get Starfall in the time being?
Waninko has a downgrader (google it) that will let you downgrade your wii to 3.2 so you can use starfall and patchmii again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2008 10:30PM by Arikado.
December 09, 2008 10:55PM
DanielHueho
It is not impossible, just a bit risky... With the "special method" (installing a Nintendo-signed and unpatched IOS with WAD Manager), you can enable Patcmii and others again, even on 3.4, I guess. Look for it at GBATemp forums, I think they have a sticky topic about this method.
Does the bricking occur frequently? Is there a high chance of being bricked?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2008 11:16PM by strongfan.
December 09, 2008 11:42PM
strongfan
DanielHueho
Does the bricking occur frequently? Is there a high chance of being bricked?
See my post above. It's a much safer method of downgrading.
December 10, 2008 02:55AM
DanielHueho

I found the WAD Manager, I used it with the proper WAD, but it doesn't look like it work with v3.4U. It just keeps coming up with an error.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2008 03:20AM by yoshicircuit.
December 10, 2008 10:31PM
The WAD manager doesn't work with 3.4 I've heard. Again, google to find and then download and use waninko's downgrader.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2008 10:32PM by Arikado.
Updating
November 20, 2008 02:42AM
Ok I currently have firmware v 3.3 and using HBC v8.

What i would like to know is:

1) How do u update HBC without Wi-Fi connection.

2) What wiil happen if i update firmware to 3.4

3) if it is ok to update firmware, what order should i do it in, HBC then firmware or the other way around

Anyhelp would be much appreciated
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login