Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Updating Bootmii via bootmii?

Posted by Decatro 
Updating Bootmii via bootmii?
February 26, 2010 07:01PM
Is that possible? Or do you need to boot into homebrew channel for that?

In my other thread I described my friends bricked wii, it can boot up to bootmii but not homebrew channel.
Re: Updating Bootmii via bootmii?
February 26, 2010 07:18PM
AFAIK, you can only update bootmii via the hackmii installer. Sorry.
February 26, 2010 10:15PM
How can bootmii update itself while it is running? Think about that ... You would brick your Wii.
February 26, 2010 10:18PM
Oh I was just thinking if there was a work around, like an application that takes you to a wad installer of some sort where you reinstall/install/ update bootmii by using the sd card and mem1 as temporarely storage to run the application......or something like that, i'm not sure how exactly the wii functions.

It's like booting to bios on a pc, then run a bootable disc to intall a new bios version....but that probably doesn't work with wii's,
February 26, 2010 10:21PM
Decatro
Oh I was just thinking if there was a work around, like an application that takes you to a wad installer of some sort where you reinstall/install/ update bootmii by using the sd card and mem1 as temporarely storage to run the application......or something like that, i'm not sure how exactly the wii functions.
Thats done by launching into the HBC from BootMii and running the HackMii Installer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2010 10:22PM by Arikado.
February 26, 2010 10:23PM
Arikado
Decatro
Thats done by launching into the HBC from BootMii and running the HackMii Installer.

Decatro
In my other thread I described my friends bricked wii, it can boot up to bootmii but not homebrew channel.
February 26, 2010 10:44PM
I was not responding based on previous information you supplied. I was responding for the sake of shooting down your inane idea. Were I responding for the sake of helping your friend, I would tell you to fix your friends Wii with betwiin.

Back to my previous points, you can launch homebrew programs from bootmii but they run under MINI, not IOS. You can not update BootMii (as this updates MINI) while MINI is running or you will crash MINI freezing the update and putting your Wii in a nearly unrecoverable state as I explained previously.
February 27, 2010 05:34PM
MINI armboot.bin and ppcboot.elf stored on SD can be updated without hackmii installer, by copying the files from another bootmii install from SD, to your SD card. A MINI app updating these files,(although there's not much point of it since it's easier to do this with a computer) would not crash MINI. MINI is loaded from armboot.bin, but after it boots, armboot.bin is not accessed.(Likewise with ppcboot.elf.) Updating the stub with a MINI app is not easy, since the stub is stored in the obfuscated hackmii installer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2010 05:36PM by yellowstar.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login