Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Apps stop detecting hard drive after 10 minutes.

Posted by adol48261 
Apps stop detecting hard drive after 10 minutes.
March 01, 2010 08:01PM
My Wii has a 320 gig 2.5" "Smart Drive" USB HDD with what is apparently a Seagate hard drive inside, and it has a small partition set aside for Homebrew.

When i first run a App, everything works fine until I've played for over 10 minutes without accessing the HDD, for example changing games on an emulator. Later, when i go to change Games/Apps, The hard drive isn't detected anymore!

I appreciate any attempts at helping.

(on an unrelated note, why is asking for help with my hard drive bad on #wiihelp? I'm not asking for Roms or anything, I'm just asking for help with the hard drive Itself!)
Re: Apps stop detecting hard drive after 10 minutes.
March 01, 2010 08:51PM
I have a Seagate myself and it came with software with the ability to adjust the time to wait until it automatically turns itself off due to inactivity. You could try to increase that time.
March 01, 2010 08:54PM
Mine was formatted by the store as they didnt know it would have software on it.

Would there be a site to download a copy of this software?
March 01, 2010 09:22PM
[www.seagate.com]

Look around there. That might help.
March 02, 2010 05:04PM
Still nothing.

i downloaded the program, and it wouldn't recognize the drive. i talked to customer support for almost an hour, and we worked out that the software would be unnecessary, as it should use the windows power settings on another computer, that it is a seagate drive,although not compatible with the software, and that the item malfunctioning may be the case.

So i went and talked to the company (Mediasonic) , and they said it does not have a sleep or deactivate function.

this is the fourth day straight I've tried to fix this problem.

I also found out that the software wouldn't have helped anyways, because it wouldn't be compatible, neither was it installed on the HDD in the first place.

I would love any help, even just a recommendation of another site to go to help at.

this isn't looking good.
March 02, 2010 09:24PM
Does it go to sleep when it's plugged into your computer too?
March 03, 2010 11:23AM
Is the harddisk powered by the USB port or does it use separate power? I've seen USB powered harddisks 'restart' because they couldn't drawn enough power from USB. Using an powered HUB might help (but not sure if HUBs are supported)
March 04, 2010 06:24PM
to answer the posts,

1. no it does not stop when plugged into the computer.

2. i don't think the power would be a problem, as it uses two USB plugs, and i plug them both in. But i will try to get a power cord for it, and see if that helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2010 06:25PM by adol48261.
March 09, 2010 12:51AM
Wii does not have USB ports for high power use devices.
March 09, 2010 02:15AM
PiracyIsNoNo
Wii does not have USB ports for high power use devices.

Uh, Do what?! It has 2 usb ports.
March 09, 2010 02:53AM
USB ports giving enough power to power an HD is outside of the specifications of USB; even with two drives. USB within the specs give so little power. I am sure the Wii follows the bare minimum power requirements to meet the specs.

Sorry for my engrish.
March 09, 2010 03:40AM
The wii can power any hard drive that normally receives power from a USB port.
March 09, 2010 04:14AM
So you have tested all models of HD with the Wii? I know I have some USB powered devices that will not work on certain USB controllers because of lower power output, or if it does work it goes out after a bit.
March 09, 2010 04:23AM
I have tested a few modes of HD on the wii, including one that requires an external power source when used with some computers, but the wii provides enough power for it through a single USB port. The only HD I have used with a wii that required an external power supply was a model that can never be powered by a USB port.
March 12, 2010 08:32AM
aw jeez, you guys got my hopes up when i checked my e-mail and got 6-responses...

Well, i have been unable to get a power-cord, but i have found a temporary fix, by loading the apps from a SD card, and keeping other files such as roms or videos on the HD, but now that also brings up another problem!

whenever i am to use an app for any amount of time, if i am to access the menus (in this example, VBAGX) more than maybe 3 times,to change the controls and whatnot, the menus may become slow, or most of the time, freeze up entirely! After this occurs, i have to shut the wii off by holding the power button until it forcefully shuts off, causing me to possibly lose data / my current progress (although i used VBAGX as an example, this occurs with all the apps.).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login