Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stack Smash method foul-up?

Posted by MrMalkain 
Stack Smash method foul-up?
March 07, 2010 05:48AM
I was attempting to use the Stack Smash installation method, but when it attempted to load, it went through as normal up until the point it said "Valid ELF Image Detected" then stops.

My System Menu is v.4.2.U

on the SD Card I have

boot.elf and private/wii/app/resbe/st/ st_080805_0933

Am I missing anything here?

Also, what does it mean if during this, the Wii's disk slot starts flashing?
Re: Stack Smash method foul-up?
March 07, 2010 02:28PM
It doesnt like your SD Card apparently as it detected the boot.elf but refuses to load it. Try a different SD Card.
January 17, 2011 08:03PM
I have run into the same problem and am stuck.

4.3U using smash stack. I've tried with 3 different SD cards (all compatible based on the lists). most recent one is a Kingston 2 GB SD. formatted, and file structure, as far as I can tell, is proper. I have a boot.elf file in the root and the .bin exploit in /private/wii/app/rsbe/st..

it will start the exploit, and stops working at:

"cleaning up environment... eventhook release fail code 0
OK.
SD card detected.
opening boot.elf
reading 1852416 bytes...
Done.
Valid ELF image detected."

at the same time, I get the drive flashing. I've left it on for 20-30 minutes to see if it was just slow, but nothing...

I've tried multiple times, as I mentioned, with multiple SD cards, all freshly formatted with SD formatter 2.0 and have not passed this point.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. It seems like it wants to go, but I'm missing something..thanks.
February 24, 2011 03:46AM
I have the same problem. Does anyone know how to solve this?
February 24, 2011 06:42PM
You can't use SDHC cards with this exploit. Try a 2GB card (or lower) in FAT16 or FAT32 format, I forget which one it was. Try a SanDisk card as that was the one I used and it worked fine. Also you can't have any stages on the Wii or SD card and you can't have Smash Service stages or Smash Service enabled. If the disk light starts flashing unplug your Wii and take out the SD card. If you need anymore help then PM me.

EDIT: the only thing you should have on the SD card is the "private" folder from the download and the "boot.elf" file. If you have an "apps" folder then the only thing in there that won't screw up the install is the Homebrew Browser files. Anything else should not be added until HBC installs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2011 09:30PM by technoman.
February 24, 2011 08:47PM
If it's getting up to the "opening boot.elf/Valid ELF image detected" stage then the problem has nothing to do with using an SDHC card. Just keep trying and it will probably work eventually.
March 07, 2011 04:25AM
Format the card with this-
SD Formatter 2.0
March 07, 2011 08:04AM
Again: That's not the problem, the ELF file has already been identified and loaded into memory.
March 07, 2011 08:44AM
So whats the problem?

I would try the formater.
March 07, 2011 10:30AM
ptsnowman
I've tried multiple times, as I mentioned, with multiple SD cards, all freshly formatted with SD formatter 2.0 and have not passed this point.

mauifrog
So whats the problem?
I would try the formater.
The problem is your suggestion has a) already been tried and b) is a waste of time.
March 07, 2011 04:16PM
In that case, the OP should waist some more time by running the SD formater again, changing the setting from quick to full format. The download the hackmii installer again and extract directly to SD:/ with 7-zip.

The OP could also waist his time trying over and over until he dies of old age, whichever he enjoys waisting his time on best. I imagine he will enjoy installing hackmii more.
March 07, 2011 05:04PM
The format isn't the problem so the OP shouldn't waste time running it again. There is another problem and instead of arguing maybe we should figure out how to fix it.
March 07, 2011 09:26PM
You've definitely got the right Smash Stack for your region of Wii etc.? I doubt it'd get that far on the wrong region, but you never know...
March 08, 2011 02:02AM
Smash stack crashes the stage builder when loaded on the wrong region game, pus he would have to edit the the stage Id to get ssbb to detect it. I think his method of extraction or possibly transfer is corrupting the hackmii elf file.
March 09, 2011 01:13AM
Malkain I think you need sys. menu 4.3U for the hack to work.

smash stack fix

Hope this helps guys.
March 09, 2011 02:53AM
technoman
Malkain I think you need sys. menu 4.3U for the hack to work.

smash stack fix

Hope this helps guys.
No. and you don't need 4.3.
That link doesn't have anything to do with this problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2011 02:54AM by bg4545.
March 09, 2011 07:48PM
Sorry just scanned over it. I'll see if I can find anything else meantime.
April 30, 2011 02:29AM
I am having the same issue.

i have 4.3u. I have the original SSB game. I load the game. Delete the custom stages. Go back to main screen. Insert my SD 2GB card with the private folder and boot.elf file. Go back to custom stages and it begins to load the hack. But it is stuck at that point. The wii is flashing the disk light.

any suggestions?
April 30, 2011 02:37AM
soulchoking

i have 4.3u. I have the original SSB game. I load the game. Delete the custom stages. Go back to main screen. Insert my SD 2GB card with the private folder and boot.elf file. Go back to custom stages and it begins to load the hack. But it is stuck at that point. The wii is flashing the disk light.

any suggestions?

nvm. i got it to work. i had to format the SD from FAT to FAT32.
May 26, 2011 11:15PM
soulchoking
soulchoking

any suggestions?

nvm. i got it to work. i had to format the SD from FAT to FAT32.

Is this required now? When i went to format SD card, it was in FAT. Do i need to change it to FAT32 in order to work?
Newbie about to use smash stack hack tomorrow once it arrives in the mail. Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login