Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

IOS updates

Posted by airpac 
IOS updates
March 26, 2010 10:20PM
Hi all.

I have a little question.
Doing a signcheck or using showmiiwads, I can see the version of each installed IOS in my system.

In general, IOS revisions fix bugs and new IOS add new features (drivers, whatever...)

I know that there are IOS like IOSx0 that are used by system menus and IOSx1 by some channels.

But, there are IOS like 38, etc... that are mostly used by original games, etc... For instance, my version is v3609, but I can see in NUSD that is available v3867. For this kind of IOS, is it convenient or inconvienent to update to the latest available version (avoiding stub version obviously)?

Then there are other IOS that are missing in my system. I'm on 3.4, so for example, I don't have IOS56, IOS57, IOS58 and so on... I guess if I want to avoid system menu updates when using original discs in the Disk Channel, the way to do it is having all this missing IOS that are supplied by higher system menu versions or other updates. I guess is not risky and can't cause any brick installing this missing IOSes (using dopmii for example). How convinient is to do this without updating the system menu (not touching IOSx0 and IOSx1 plus the sys menu itself)?

The reason is to keep my system menu version, as my homebrew works fine and I have no reason to update except to play newer games. I know that some people will tell me to update to 4.1, but I want to know what things are possible to do to let new original games to work without moving to higher system menu versions.

So, two questions.

Thanks in advance.
Re: IOS updates
March 26, 2010 11:51PM
If all you're asking is how to play your games without updating, just use this:
[wiibrew.org]
March 27, 2010 12:10AM
Thanks for the answer.
Well, yes, mostly. But, it's just to know what IOS are safe to touch. If one should upgrade IOS revisions, or install new IOS. I've used wibrew wiki to check the ios changelog of each revision, but to me it's not clear if is good or not to keep IOS up to date using tools like dopmii The idea is to do it using the official disc channel.
March 27, 2010 12:15AM
I'm pretty sure its "safe to touch" most of them, as long as you're not deleting them. Also, you also need to make sure not to mess with the IOS that your current system menu is relying on.

If you really want to launch your games through the disk channel that badly, then just update. There is absolutely no reason not to, unless you're just really lazy.
March 28, 2010 08:45PM
No IOSes used for any "extra" content (that is, anything besides the Shop Channel and System Menu) are ever stubbed.
March 29, 2010 02:20AM
Updating IOSes is usually pointless. New games will always require you to update unless your system menu and boot2 version as well as your IOSes are the same or greater than those on the disc. Aside from updating, the only way around this is to launch the game with Gecko OS or patch the system menu with a program such as Priiloader.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login